We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Puerto Rico: Statehood, Colony or Independence?

Let's talk about my island, Puerto Rico.

Known as "La Isla del Encanto", but I call it "La Isla del Infiermo", Puerto Rico is a Free Association State(aka colony). We have our own government and such, but we are under the jurisdiction of the US, and we are American citizens, but we are not represented by voting representatives, just a non-voting delegate in Congress, and we don't vote for the President. The majority of puertorricans want either statehood or the ELA. Only 5% want independence.

But what I find ironic is that Latinoamerican countries want our independence, whilist we don't want it. Most noticeable countries that wish our independence are Venezuela, Cuba and Argentina(gosh, won't they accept that we don't want to be in their sphere of influence and that we don't desire independence?!)

What does TSP think about this?
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

I wish that the Philippines became a state (I'm Filipino), but it did not happen. However, I do support having Puerto Rico become the 51st state of the United States. If they want to become a state, then it must happen. However, the people on the mainland are not even talking about it as if it was taboo or something. More discussion on the statehood of Puerto Rico should be held in the United States Congress.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I agree.

Wait, if you are Filipino, you are from the Philippines?

If that's true, then how is it to live in the Philippines?(I always want to know about other places)
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

No, but my father came to America from the Philippines. I have spent all my live in Southern California and a year in Arizona.

My History

I have been to PR a couple of times and i dont get the isla del encanto part. I didnt think the beaches were very nice, unless you go to some of the offshore islands, the traffic is like being in L.A. Overall was not impressed with the place. The food was just okay. Cant say that i had anything memorable while i was there. Yhe nightlife was pretty good but i always felt like i had to watch out for pickpockets and such. I was visiting and staying with natives btw.
As an American and a hispanic i wish the puerto ricans would either become a state, which they have voted against a couple of times if i am not mistaken, or become independent nation. Puerto Rico pays no income tax, only state sales tax, and get American tax dollars investment on their island.
Apad
King of Haldilwe

I believe that making Puerto Rico a state would improve life on the island and the island itself. Yes to statehood.

My History

(05-30-2015, 03:43 PM)Apad Wrote: I have been to PR a couple of times and i dont get the isla del encanto part. I didnt think the beaches were very nice, unless you go to some of the offshore islands, the traffic is like being in L.A. Overall was not impressed with the place. The food was just okay. Cant say that i had anything memorable while i was there. Yhe nightlife was pretty good but i always felt like i had to watch out for pickpockets and such. I was visiting and staying with natives btw.
As an American and a hispanic i wish the puerto ricans would either become a state, which they have voted against a couple of times if i am not mistaken, or become independent nation. Puerto Rico pays no income tax, only state sales tax, and get American tax dollars investment on their island.
I don't get the "Isla del Encanto" part either.

Yes to statehood!

(05-30-2015, 03:55 PM)JCRules Wrote: I believe that making Puerto Rico a state would improve life on the island and the island itself. Yes to statehood.

^This.

@Ryccia: Yeah. For some reason Venezuela, Cuba, and their allies support independence, even if it's clear that the people of the island wants statehood. Here in Venezuela, I've seen in government-owned media articles saying that Puerto Rico "wants independence" and the government has expressed support for the "Puerto Rican people's struggle for independence" numerous times.
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

How is it obvious that puerto ricans want statehood if they have continually voted against joining the union?
What they seem to want is all the benefits of American subsidies on the island and american military security without having to pay the taxes or give up their puerto rican identity.
Apad
King of Haldilwe

The entire reason why American territories are territories and not states.

~Professor Henn, Hardcore Leftist, Totally not a Dinosaur