We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Obergefell v. Hodges

Today the US Supreme Court ruled that states could not ban same-sex marriage. Some are celebrating this as a landmark victory for civil rights. Some decry this as an violation of states' rights and a destruction of traditional marriage. Personally, I'm glad the US is finally joining the rational world, when it comes to same-sex marriage. It's ridiculous when I see conservatives say that this undermines Christianity and that the decision was made by unelected justices:
  1. Nobody is forcing their religion to accept same-sex marriage; the ruling simply says that the government can't deny equal rights.
  2. Nobody is forcing them to marry someone from the same sex.
  3. Supreme Court Justices are meant to be unelected! Their job is to make unpopular decisions. -_-
Thoughts? Celebrations? Criticism?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Excellent. 100%.

~Professor Henn, Hardcore Leftist, Totally not a Dinosaur

...and America finally free's itself from the archaic ways from centuries past. I'd rather be a sinner than a bigot.

*Throws confetti with cannon, confetti bomb explodes*

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! VICTORY FOR CIVIL RIGHTS AND EQUALITY!!!!!!!!!! HISTORICAL DAY FOR EQUALITY!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!! REJOICE!!!!!!!!!
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

Proud to be an American on days like this. As the President said most eloquently "sometimes justice arrives like a thunderbolt". I must say that the complete reversal of public opinion on this issue in such a short span of time is remarkable and I cant think of another social issue that made such a quick 180. Of course this doesnt mean the issue is put to bed, conservatives/christians will now turn their attention to passing so called "right of conscious" laws so they can keep on discriminating against those they dont approve of. Nonetheless this is a historic day.

What a job the President has. He went from elation in the morning to mourning in the afternoon for the 9 people that were gunned down in a black church in South Carolina but a white supremacists. The eulogy/speech the President gave at the funeral for those slain was amazing. My wife and I sat and watched the whole speech in its entirety last night and I must admit that I got emotional. Its one of those speeches that his Presidency will be remembered for and reminds my wife and I why we voted for this guy in 08 and 12 and volunteered for his campaign in 08.

What a month in America and Obama's presidency too. We had the death of the Vice Presidents son, the passage of Free Trade legislation when it seemed dead a week ago, the Supreme court preserving subsidies for Obamacare, the shootings in South Carolina, the LGBT decision, a less talked about housing discrimination case the Supreme court ruled on in favor of the administration, and the terror attacks in three countries yesterday. Lame duck my ass. Suck it Republicans....sorry i got carried away there. The month isnt over yet.
Apad
King of Haldilwe

With this decision, the United States can finally reenter the civilized world. Smile
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Proud to be tecnically American! Go 'Murica and civil rights! Also equality!(Speaking of equality, USA, gib statehood!)
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

100% support. Hurray for equality!
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

I'd heard some Americans are saying they'd move to Canada because of this ruling.

I'm sure those conservatives would love it here in Ontario with our openly gay female Premie.

Some Priest said he'd set himself on fire if Gay Marriage became legal. I'm waiting for that to end up somewhere on the Internet.........

Don't mind me I'm just on Tapatalk
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi