We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Let's get started

First things first, we need to select a Chief Justice.

Next, we have just under two months before the next set of Judicial Elections. That should be plenty of times to achieve the administrative aspects of our job; we need to establish a set of procedures for criminal matters. At the same time, I would like to establish a similar set of procedures for judicial review.

Beyond that, I think the the Criminal and Penal Codes are in need of thorough review and revision. I would like us to do that at the same time as establishing the court procedures, so as to produce a comprehensive and complimentary set of reforms that we can present to the Assembly.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Im for either of the two of you for CJ. Ill refrain from being Chief.

Where would you like to start with defining procedures?
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

I'm happy to do it.

I think we need a number of sections for both Criminal Cases and Judicial Review, though I'm not entirely sure how to structure it yet. I think we need sections for Complaint/Pre-Trial/Trial/Sentencing, but also rules of Evidence and Conduct.

Belschaft took the initiative to make this thread, so he can be Chief Justice.

I would look to see a fairly open and flexible procedure for judicial review to make it a smooth, hassle-free process for legislators. Meanwhile our criminal trial procedure should aim to the highest standard: innocent until proven guilty. I was recently acquainted with The East Pacific's Conclave which trialed people without evidence presented (almost a Star Chamber) and held the preliminary trial process in private without the defendant-- we can do much, much better and I have high hopes for what we'll accomplish.

Trial procedure is probably going to be the more complex and difficult of the two topics to handle, so perhaps we should start there.

So we're all agreed Bels gets CJ?

Structure wise... We tend to use Judicial Review more often then criminal procedures. I think it'd be best to list that first, and get it drafted first. We all had some semblance of textual interpretation of the laws. Should we have that as a starting point? Saying it outright, or otherwise. The spirit of the Charter/CoL is what it says, and shouldnt be construed as saying what it doesnt.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

Apparently, yes.

How about three separate drafting threads, one for Judicial Review, one for Criminal Cases, and one for the Criminal and Penal Codes?

Works for me. Do we want to combine them into one post to the Assembly, or just as we finish them?

I'm not sure... we should probably make some kind of statement of intent to the Assembly to let them know what we're up to.

Just so you know - if it seems like I'm ignoring this thread, I am not. My home internet appears to block this forum intermittently. I can't always access it. I've had the same bug with my ISP for nationstates.net for years. I think it's a case of an aggressive network firewall.

Been trying to get on all day and then suddenly it let me on.

Ok... now that we have a forum back online.........

Shall we start our separate drafting threads? Elections for Justices start in about 2 weeks... We should have SOMETHING to show for this short term...