We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Bringing Sunshine Back to TSP
Rainbow 
This is a race I never expected to run. After two successful terms as delegate — and an unsuccessful run for a third term — I was happy to return to administration duties and a role in the Assembly

Instead, I find myself temporarily in the delegate’s seat and embarking on another campaign.
Life's funny sometimes. But since we’re in this situation, DM and I hope to help TSP make the best of it.

We need to come together in unity, not just for us now — but for the future of the region. As we embark upon a Great Council and Charter overhaul, I’d encourage us to think bigger than any of us individually.

Our campaign and this moment is bigger than DM and I.
It is bigger than our governmental officials, past, present and future.
It is bigger than our petty differences.

This is for all current and future generations of TSPers.
This is for all the active members who have yet to hold elected office.
This is to welcome the in-game active nations into our process.
This is to give all nations in TSP a government that is both stable and responsive to their needs.
This is to create a Coalition for the next 13 years.

With that, we ask for you vote. Together, we can we build a regional government to last.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

This is a race I have waited for ever since I came to TSP. I always had aspirations to climb the political ladder here, starting as Minister of Justice, and the moving to Minister of Security. But my aspirations faded over the last year or so, seeing the region slowly spiral into chaos. Try as I might, there was too much political tension in the air to be heard, and the voice of our citizens were slowly drowned out until only a select few regional members could be heard.

This leads us to today, where a political revolution is on the horizon, where Tsu and I hope to help TSP make the best of it. As a region we need to focus on the future of TSP. We need to lay down our past differences, and focus on creating a region that people want to be a part of, not one where they feel unwelcome and silenced.

This campaign isn’t about Tsu or my political careers, this is about leading TSP into the future.
It is for the people who are afraid to speak up, so that we may give them a brighter future where they can be heard.
For too long the dark storm cloud of personal opinions and hatred has loomed over TSP.
Together, we can bring the sunshine back to The South Pacific.

We welcome any questions!
Semi-Unretired

Since the beginning of this mess, there's been a pretty universal call to get admins out of politics. Are you planning on arguing against that push, or do you just see yourself as a caretaker Delegate through the convention?

(02-13-2016, 12:41 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Since the beginning of this mess, there's been a pretty universal call to get admins out of politics. Are you planning on arguing against that push, or do you just see yourself as a caretaker Delegate through the convention?

Thanks for the question GR. And, I have a couple points here.

First, I'm not sure extracting admins from politics is quite a universal call. It's been something floated as a sort of stopgap measure to restore faith in the administration. What I'd say is that we already have mechanisms on the back end that we can put in place — such a blocking access to areas that we shouldn't have access to — which could meet the same end. And, bringing in other admins — as we've done with Elu. In any case, I think that decision will be up to the Assembly to decide.

Let me offer two tangentially related thoughts on the matter. First, I think the matter of removing admins from politics would be especially unfair to me since, at the moment, I'm hosting the forums. In order to run for an office then, I'd have to find someone trusted and accepted by the region before I'd be able to run — let alone serve. Again, I'll follow whatever the Assembly wants, but this is a problem unique to my role at the moment.

Second, as I pointed out in an Assembly thread, I think there are plenty of correlations between having a delegate in a more apolitical role and having admins in that same role. I've also long suggested that someone trusted enough to be delegate could equally be trusted to be an administrator. But, again, these aren't my decisions alone.

This all brings me to my final point, in that, at the moment I do only see myself as a caretaker of the government. As I said in my platform, I didn't anticipate running again and am only doing so because I think I have enough goodwill and governing consensus to make this work.

Any decisions regarding the delegate's seat and administrative positions will need to done by the Assembly. I'd be incredibly reluctant to weigh in heavily on any of the arguments that would effect me directly outside of the two points I pointed out above.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(02-13-2016, 12:41 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Since the beginning of this mess, there's been a pretty universal call to get admins out of politics. Are you planning on arguing against that push, or do you just see yourself as a caretaker Delegate through the convention?

I will expand on Tsu's response.

I will agree that extracting admins from politics is not a universal call. It may be an idea of some, but I think the universal call is that only hold admins accountable to the community in which they serve. This will help restore faith in the administration team. Ultimately, these decisions will be made by the assembly.

Removing Admins from politics would be unfair in my opinion as well, although for not all the same reasons as my running mate. I think that if we do not allow admins to participate in political arena, we are denying them their right as citizens to do so. We would force them to give up their admin role to be allowed back into the political scene, when we could do as Tsu and others have suggested, and that is to limit what an admin has access to.

Again, this will all be discussed further and decided on by the assembly during the upcoming Great Council, which I hope to play a large role in. Not only to help in drafting new legislation, but to help keep the peace during this emotional time.

While Tsu may see himself as a Caretaker Delegate, I do not see myself in that same light. I fully intend on continuing to help lead this region after the Great Council, in all likelihood taking his place as Delegate as long as the people will support me.
Semi-Unretired

For what it's worth, I don't think "get admins out of politics" is a universal message, I think Glen is just misinterpreting many people's concerns with forum administration of late. I personally have no problem with Tsu serving as both Delegate and root administrator, as I'm confident in his ability to handle both roles and keep them separate.

I doubt you'll have competition in this race anyway, but you have my vote. You've both been voices of reason and have earned the respect of just about everyone in TSP over the past few days, no matter where they stood in the recent crisis. Thanks for being level-headed and open-minded at a time when those traits were badly needed.

I... don't think I'm misinterpreting anything. For past few weeks, literally everybody has been saying that a major problem with the admin team has been our involvement in electoral politics.

I don't think I've been hallucinating that. Like, people actually said that, practically word for word.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that now we're saying that's not the case, and now us admins can still run in elections and remain admins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone has meant that admins shouldn't be allowed to take part in politics, just that they want to de-politicize the issue of administration by reducing it to a technical role.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Look, I'm *ecstatic* that a future MoFA run is down the horizon for me, now. But I'm pretty sure the operating assumption was that admins wouldn't be in cabinet.

Whatever, though! I never liked the demand anyways.

(02-13-2016, 10:18 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: I... don't think I'm misinterpreting anything. For past few weeks, literally everybody has been saying that a major problem with the admin team has been our involvement in electoral politics.

I don't think I've been hallucinating that. Like, people actually said that, practically word for word.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that now we're saying that's not the case, and now us admins can still run in elections and remain admins.

Fwiw, I didn't mean to imply you hallucinated it. I certainly know it's been part of the discussion. I'm just not sure it's a universal agreement at this point.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]