We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Should the Below Amendment to the Regional Officers Act be adopted?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Aye
81.25%
26 81.25%
Nay
6.25%
2 6.25%
Abstain
12.50%
4 12.50%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

PASSED: Amendment to the Regional Officers Act

In accordance with Article IV Section 6 of the Charter as a member of the Assembly, I bring the following to a vote.

Members may vote AYE, NAY or the may Abstain from the vote. The Amendment will require a 50%+1 vote IN FAVOR of the Amendment for it to be adopted.

Voting will last for 3 days and will end on September 1st, 2016 at 23:00 CDT (UTC-6) A countdown timer is available here.

The debate concerning this amendment can be viewed here.

Quote:3. Executive Discretion

(1) The Cabinet and/or Delegate may grant Communications, Appearance, and Polls powers to regional members as they see fit.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Objection; as a Charter amendment this is a constitutional law, and voting should be for five days not three and the margin must be three-fifths not 50%+1.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(08-30-2016, 08:33 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Objection; as a Charter amendment this is a constitutional law, and voting should be for five days not three and the margin must be three-fifths not 50%+1.

Thank you for your objection, however, there is no mention within the Regional Officer Act of it being a constitutional law. In fact, the Charter in Article I Section 1 states:
Quote:1. Laws that form the foundation of our community, are considered fundamental to governance, or otherwise are considered of great importance by the Assembly, are to be known as “constitutional laws” and marked as such.

And where the Regional Officers Act is not marked as such, it is to be considered a general law. Thus the 3 day time period and 50%+1 majority are still all that is required.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Hmm... brainfart on my part.... clearly I'm getting old and senile...

Anyway, seeing how this is a technical/procedural issue that must pass for our government to legally function, the LC will be assigning 100% of the block vote to Aye.

This vote did pass 31.8-2-4. Sorry for not saying so earlier.
Has Been
What's Next?