We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[TRIAL] Roavin v. Cormac

[Image: wNC8JrQ.png]

[HCCC1701] Roavin v. Cormac
Trial

Filed:
  • 01 September 2017
Complainant:
  • Roavin
Defendant:
  • Cormac

In accordance with Chapter 4 of the Court Procedures Act, the following steps shall comprise the Trial of Roavin v. Cormac:
  • The Prosecution will be given one week to present its evidence and witnesses and make its full case for the criminal charges against the Defendant.
  • The Defence will be given one week to cross-examine witnesses and offer a rebuttal of the case presented by the Prosecution.
  • The Defence will then have one additional week to present its own case for a verdict of not guilty.
  • The Prosecution will be given one week to offer a rebuttal of the case presented by the Defence.
  • The Prosecution, and subsequently the Defence, will each have one week to present their respective closing arguments.
Should any step be completed before the allotted week, the following step will commence. There will be no extensions of the prescribed deadlines, unless required by reasons of force majeure. Such reasons will be considered individually by the Court.

In accordance with common standards for the maintenance of order in the courtroom, only the Prosecution and the Defence, as comprised by the Complainant, the Defendant and their respective Counsels, will be allowed to post in this thread, and any and all posts from other sources, save relevant posts by Forum Administration, will be removed from view.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Your honour,

Defence requests leave to present an extraordinary motion for a declaration of mistrial.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

What motive does the Defence have to request such leave?
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Your honour,

The Court Procedures Act (CPA) requires that multiple High Court Justice's handle matters of criminal complaint and trial; repeated use of plural terminology such as "The High Court Justices will collectively determine" make this clear and unambiguous. As such Defence believes that a declaration of mistrial must be made.

Defence has no objection to such declaration including a statement that no jeopardy is attached.

In view of the ruling in Anachronism in the Court Procedures Act [HCLQ1712] and the subsequent denial of an appeal, the Prosecution will now have one full week to present its full case, including any relevant evidence and witnesses.

Legal Resources:

Your honor,

I wish to request for an extension to Monday, December 18th.

(busy at work and am likely to be at work on Saturday, so this would allow me to find some time on Sunday to finish up what I've written - note that I'm posting this at 3am and I just came home from work not too long ago Tounge )
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

In view of the reasons provided, the Court will grant the requested extension.

Legal Resources:

It shall be reflected on the record that the Prosecution failed to present its main argument within the allotted time. The Defence will have one full week to present its argument.

Legal Resources:

Your honour, with the prosecution having presented no case the defense requests immediate dismissal with prejudice.

Given the advanced state of this case and considering the fact that the Prosecution has presented evidence and witness testimony, the Court has opted to continue with this proceeding, the request by the Defence notwithstanding.

Legal Resources: