We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Roland For COA - Let's get back on track!

Roland for Chair of the Assembly: The Three Steps to Getting the Legislature Back on Track!
Hi all, I’m not going to do this campaign in my traditional style as you may have seen in the past, because this isn’t really a typical election. Farengeto, our previous Chair of the Assembly has failed to conduct himself in a timely manner. Legislator apps have been waiting for weeks, and this is absolutely inexcusable. I’m an NS player who isn’t the hyper-active Roavin, but I also don’t have anything to do on NS anymore, so I’d have plenty of time to be your next Chair of the Assembly. My three steps are rather simple: a consistent moderation policy, timely legislator acceptance, and proper maintaining of the MATT-DUCK index.

For starters, I think we need a more coherent moderation policy in the assembly. I see the Chair as a facilitator of debate, and not really a traditional moderator. I think that some of the policies currently in place are rather cumbersome. For example, just because a post is only one word or less than a sentence in length, doesn’t necessarily mean it has no worth whatsoever. I also think it is the role of the Chair of the Assembly to encourage legislative debate and mentor new members. I think that having a program where some experienced legislators can show new legislators around and help them get started debating legislation with things such as writing tactics. I think that creating a program like this would be pretty cool for TSP.

On timeliness… I don’t think the last term in the legislature was necessarily bad, to be honest. We got a lot of important legislation passed, but transferring the proposals to vote took way too long. I think this process should take twelve hours max. Legislator applications, same goes. However, I do think it is very important to take security very seriously. IP should be back-checked against all the important sources, and have all listed puppets checked. If I believe someone is trying to hide something, the Council on Regional Security needs to be the first resource for a chair. Also, activity checks should take three days, not a week Tounge 

On the Matt-DUCK archive - I think that the way it’s updated needs to change. Not only do we need to continue the timeliness matter here, whenever we edit a law, we need to update the debate threads on the index to be consistent. Maintaining this archive in a proper manner makes it an actually useful resource. Well, if you read that, I hope you enjoyed it. Make me your next CoA!! Feel free to post any questions you have right here in this thread! Best,Roland
Signed,
[Image: tspsig.png]
Positions:
Legislator of The South Pacific
King of Machina, Defence Realm of Illuminati Alliance
Citizen of The East Pacific
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm
Munifiex of The Roman Empire
[Image: rv43j5bZ3p1Rs0A01odvThXy-TLzgwlhUTl_mY9E...66-h654-rw]

I mean this in the best possible way, but could you please drop the bold and use paragraphs? I'm sure that would make your campaign much easier to read.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

That was how it was originally. I copied it from Word and it got screwed up...
Signed,
Positions:
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm

Done.
Signed,
Positions:
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm

Well, it's nice to see new blood run for CoA elections.

I have some concerns.
1.) There have been issues regarding your unprofessionalism in the assembly. As an official, will you change this behavior?
2.) Would you agree with CoA reforms? If so, would you agree to act as an interim CoA, whose roles have been stipulated in the campaign to re-open nominations?
3.) How would you increase the activity in the assembly? How would you promote the assembly to the game-side?
4.) How will you work with the different offices in TSP? Please be specific.

Absolutely, give me a sec to formulate some answers. Good questions.
Signed,
Positions:
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm

(11-03-2017, 11:09 AM)Spenty Wrote: Well, it's nice to see new blood run for CoA elections.

I have some concerns.
1.) There have been issues regarding your unprofessionalism in the assembly. As an official, will you change this behavior?
2.) Would you agree with CoA reforms? If so, would you agree to act as an interim CoA, whose roles have been stipulated in the campaign to re-open nominations?
3.) How would you increase the activity in the assembly? How would you promote the assembly to the game-side?
4.) How will you work with the different offices in TSP? Please be specific.
I think the unprofessionalism in the assembly, by myself, in particular, is not okay. I do support a loser moderation policy, as in people don't get punished unless there is a reason to do so. Saying, "^" isn't always worthless. I've been working to refrain from posting in voting threads, and I would continue not allowing that. However, I'd definitely be supportive of loosening moderation policy. 

I definitely agree with all of the reforms Glen has laid out. I'd have no plan on ending my term due to reforms though, it would merely reshape my role. 

As I've said, I'd spur activity by starting a mentorship program to teach new legislators about the way the assembly works. I'd certainly be interested in doing game-side recruitment campaigns for the assembly. 

I'd certainly collaborate with the regional affairs ministry to work on both mentorship and game-side recruiting.

Thanks for the questions!
Signed,
Positions:
Former Positions:
Overlord of Masterz
Seargant of HYDRA
Talon of Firehehlm

How would you deal with this hypothetical scenario;

A piece of legislation is brought before the Assembly and motioned to vote. Having reviewed it, you believe that it directly contradicts the Charter. What do you do?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(11-03-2017, 11:45 AM)rolandarmstrong Wrote: I'd definitely be supportive of loosening moderation policy. 

Do you have any specifics as to this?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]

(11-03-2017, 11:45 AM)rolandarmstrong Wrote: However, I'd definitely be supportive of loosening moderation policy. 

Would you say your thoughts on this come from your consistent "run ins" with moderation in the Assembly?

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!