We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (spoilers hidden)

WARNING: THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS

To talk spoilers, please do so within the following code:
Code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

So, the time has come to discuss Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I watched it already and I'm wondering who else has seen it so we can talk about it. Personally, I think that The Force Awakens and Rogue One were better. Episode III – Revenge of the Sith remains my favorite in the series, but I remain in love with Rogue One starring Felicity Jones.

Rest in peace, Carrie Fisher.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I would rate it, at most, and being extremely generous, 4/10. I found it an extremely boring movie, relying on misplaced humour and pointless plots, and found myself wondering several times as I watched, if it would finish soon. TLJ only further confirms my dislike for the Sequels, which lack the vision that characterised the Originals and Prequels.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

So, I avoided this thread a fair bit owing to not seeing the film since just last week, then forgot to read everything in here and share my own opinion. Still, better late than never.

Generally, I enjoyed this and parts of it I enjoyed a lot. I've also absorbed a lot of other people's thought on the film afterward to help solidify my own opinion and I generally side with the thinking that goes 'the film is not without its flaws, but it's an enjoyable Star Wars film that makes some necessary steps to ensure the franchise can go on to do new things and not rely on nostalgia for everything'. I also expect that the film will be re-evaluated by fans in the future and a lot of the current negativity will fade away.

Anyway, I'd really like to see this again, but given that it cost us a small fortune to see it in the cinema, it'll have to wait until the Blu-ray release at the very earliest. I guess I'd rate it about 8/10 and a little above TFA, owing to the greater amount of originality and the daring use of trope subversion.

Rogue One is my favourite new film so far, but then it was made for people like me, rather than a new generation of fans, so that shouldn't be much of a surprise. My favourite overall remains, somewhat controversially, RotJ.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I can't forgive Rian Johnson for the backtracking on Luke's character, Rey's parents and Snoke; just everything about Snoke. I'm also angry at whoever thought the First Order and the Resistance were a good idea for the sequel trilogy, whoever thought that puppet Yoda was a good idea, whoever thought Mary Poppins Leia was in any way a good idea, both in terms of her suddenly using the Force and how it looked, visually speaking, whoever thought Rey had to be this unbelievable Mary Sue who's good at everything without even training, and whoever had the brilliant idea of overpromoting Phasma, when she's a ridiculous character with barely any scenes.

A bit petty and related to TFA, but you don't include Finn wielding a lightsaber in literally all your trailers, only to not make him a Jedi. -_-

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not mad that Rey is a nobody. I'm mad that it was set up to seem otherwise. You had all these flashback scenes, the implications by Maz, all that setting up, and in the end she was just sold for drinks. I'm fine with her being a nobody, but not with the massive misdirection between episodes.

I'm annoyed with Snoke because he was also set up as this great villain. He's head of the mysterious First Order, he seduced Ben, seemed so powerful and liberal in his Force usage in from of Rey. It was a fantastic introduction to his character...until Ben kills him just like that. I find it lazy. Ben being the focus doesn't mean Snoke is any less powerful than he was made out to be.

I don't mind the concept of a grumpy, hermit Luke, but I do mind how they made it happen. I disagree with how they imply that Luke was oblivious until one day he realises Ben was going dark. Yet his reaction isn't to talk to him, see what's happening, or act like a Jedi Master, which he's been for more than a decade now. He almost kills him! That's a bit too much for me, and feels like an unrealistically quick transition from hopeful Jedi Master to almost killer to disillusioned hermit. If it had been done differently, if there had been a more obvious reason to convince him that the Jedi were a problem (Ben was seduced by the dark side, not corrupted by the Jedi), I would have less problems with his personality change.

Just like with Luke, if they'd shown that Leia had grown in the Force, I'd be more believing, but they don't, not in the movies or in the books. For all we know, she discovers her full powers right then and there, and it's just cheap. Now, this is a matter of personal opinion, but to me it just looked silly, visually speaking. It didn't look elegant or impactful, like Holdo's sacrifice, it really just looked like a fan video.

My issue with Phasma, again, is with how she was set up. She's fine as a character, but not if they promote her the way she was promoted. It just doesn't fit with her actual role in the movies, and makes her look overhyped.

My issue with TFA is it was lazy and needless fan service. My issue with TLJ is it was lazy and needless distancing and misdirection. And now we're stuck with that universe.

They should take some tips from the Prequels and the Originals, and even Rogue One too. That's how you make good Star Wars movies.

Legal Resources:

That's not what people said at the time.

Eh. I've always been a fan of both the Prequels and the Originals. I've never really had any of the usual issues with dialogue, story, sand or Jar Jar.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Legal Resources:

I would say 7/10. I didn’t love it, it was decent. There were quite a few problems, but it was fun enough to warrant 7/10

Given what age you were when the prequels came out, Kris, it's not much of a surprise that you love them. They most likely form a part of your childhood and you love them for what they are. Those who grew up with the originals and had all the anticipation and hype before TPM largely hated them because they didn't confirm to their own fairly fixed views about what Star Wars should be - they didn't meet their childhood expectations.

I think the prequels are not great movies (Attack of the Clones in particular I think is the worst Star Wars movie so far), but I enjoy them for what they are to some degree, especially after watching the Clone Wars TV series, which helps to redeem their most egregious issues. Even then, when watching TFA for the first time, I kept thinking how much better it was than the prequels. In terms of basic cinema craft, like writing, directing and acting, it's leagues ahead, but, to some extent that's true of the new films over the originals as well. The difference for me, then, is the effect of approaching the films for the first time as an adult.

There's a whole new generation of fans for whom this trilogy will be theirs and that's cool.