We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Article 1 of the Legislative Procedure Act (Archived threads)

Quote:
Legislative Procedure Act
An Act to define the procedural rules of the Assembly
1. Legislative Rules

(1) Any legislator may propose a bill, resolution, or appointment, which will be debated and refined collectively in the assembly under the guidance of the Chair.

(2) To be brought to a vote, a specific draft of a bill, resolution, or appointment must
a. receive a motion to vote by a legislator,
b. receive a second by another legislator,
c. be affirmed to be in proper formatting by the Chair, and
d. have been at debate for a minimum period of time equivalent to the length of its voting period.

(3) General laws, amendments, resolutions, and appointments will remain at vote for three days. Constitutional laws, constitutional amendments, resolutions dealing with matters of constitutional law, and treaties will remain at vote for five days.

(4) General laws, amendments, resolutions, and treaties require a simple majority of those voting to pass. Appointments, unless otherwise specified, require a simple majority of those voting to pass. Constitutional laws, constitutional amendments, and resolutions dealing with matters of constitutional law require a three-fifths supermajority of those voting to pass.

(5) Any bill, resolution or amendment which has been inactive for more than one month shall be discarded, unless directed otherwise by the Chair.

(6)
Should a debate lead to multiple competing bills or resolutions on the same matter, the Chair will separately and simultaneously bring the competing bills or resolutions to vote, in the same manner as regular business is done. The bill or resolution that receives the most votes in favor and meets minimum threshold requirements for passage will become law.  

This amendment is introduced with the intention that it will prevent Legislators from obstructing progress in this legislature through various means as well as clearing up the legislative process to make it more functional and transparent.

Current laws somewhat allow for the act of gravedigging old bills and motioning them to vote with the hope of delaying a proposal and obstructing progress. Although Section 2, Article 5 of the Charter bestows the responsibility of maintaining order and decorum in the Assembly on the Chair and that they may take disciplinary actions against a person committing that act (Sections 1 and 4, Article 3 of the Legislator Committee Act), the purpose of this amendment is not solely to keep a check on bad eggs in the Assembly...

...But also to clear up and reorgaanize the bill record. Some bills thata have been introduced years ago and are inactive for a very long time can still be motioned to vote today, even though it might still not be applicable. This amendment is here to resolve that issue.

I believe this amendment is a win for all. It's plain and simple and is a solution to some of the problems we're having now with our legislative procedure.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bzerneleg's post:
  • The Sakhalinsk Empire

This is the proposal we need. I still remember that incident where more than ten old proposals were grave-dug. However, are there any more places do you think this can apply to, or are they uneccessary compared to this?
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Bzerneleg

Perhaps replace the word 'discarded' with 'archive'? Discarded could be misinterpreted as meaning deleting threads.
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Roavin

I’m not sure this is necersary. There are legitimate reasons why a discussion or proposal may become relevant again after a period of time, whilst at the same time we have only had a single incident of someone “gravedigging” in a malicious and disruptive manner.

This is essentially overlegislation, in my view; it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Seanadia[TSP]

(01-04-2019, 04:48 AM)Amerion Wrote: Perhaps replace the word 'discarded' with 'archive'? Discarded could be misinterpreted as meaning deleting threads.
 How about this? Because if we were to only use 'archive', it wouldn't mean that those bills are dead but rather only put in an archive. 
Quote:(5) Any bill, resolution or amendment which has been inactive for more than one month shall be considered defunct and archived, unless directed otherwise by the Chair.

BZERNELEG 

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

Im with Bels here. I think its really just over-legislating.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 3 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Seanadia[TSP], Seraph

(01-04-2019, 07:57 AM)Belschaft Wrote: I’m not sure this is necersary. There are legitimate reasons why a discussion or proposal may become relevant again after a period of time, whilst at the same time we have only had a single incident of someone “gravedigging” in a malicious and disruptive manner.

This is essentially overlegislation, in my view; it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

I do think we need this as all the bills introduced since the commencement of this Assembly would still be legally alive, even though many of them wouldn't be applicable to today's laws. This would be a way for the Chair and his or her deputies to start cleaning up the Assembly forum.

To answer your concern on a discussion or proposal becoming relevant after a period of time, that is why I've decided to give the Chair discretion over deciding to give security from being deleted from the Assembly forum to proposals which he or she deems necessary to give such security to. And now that Amerion has proposed adding 'archive', I do think there's a possibility for old discussions to be revived, if needed, by the Chair (not introduced bills though).

BZERNELEG 

The chair can already archive old threads if they want to, in their capacity as a moderator for the Assembly areas.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Rebeltopia, Seanadia[TSP], The Sakhalinsk Empire

I think this amendment is good. I personally have no issue with the Chair archiving old threads.

However, I also will note that besides the one recent incident, gravedigging is not a prevalent issue. Future offenders will be dealt with accordingly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Bzerneleg

I would change the language to allow the Chair to archive any thread that has been inactive for more than a month, rather than force.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Bzerneleg