We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Multi-stage application processes

I'm dabbling a bit in Politics & War to get an outside perspective on how things could be done, removed from the usual traditions and norms within NationStates.

In P&W, I decided to check out the top alliance, which is the NPO (which operates independently of the NS NPO, before anybody starts to worry). One thing I noticed there is that the application process for membership to an alliance (which would be the equivalent to a region in NationStates) is not just one form to be filled out, but rather a multi-step process. You will be asked questions about your history, expected to confirm that you are aware of and understand responsibilities for membership, and then expected to complete a course within 14 days in an academy which includes an exit exam.

I've not seen such a system in NationStates, but I'm intrigued by the possibilities. The academy portion could help get people rudimentarily familiar with our legislature, they could agree to not commit the crimes listed, and other such things. It seems like something we could try out, at least.

Thoughts?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 4 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Amerion, Bzerneleg, Poppy, Witchcraft and Sorcery

As a PnW player, I completely approve this proposal. Often many alliances would conduct interviews with applicants, asking them about their history in the game, experience, etc. The region I joined, Pantheon, which is the third largest alliance, only has an interview stage and not exit exams. But they do have resources on how to play the game and their alliance in their academy. 

I do think it will work for future applicants for legislatorship, as members of the Assembly ought to have at least a basic understanding of the South Pacific. This will also make new members more interested because they could really understand what's going on, unlike what we are seeing now with some legislators who applied but have not yet contributed to debates or lawmaking.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 3 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Beepee, Poppy, Roavin

There are things I like about this, but I worry both about the practicalities and about how it might look to those who already find this daunting.

I'm not sure I would have joined the legislature if there was such an involved process to do so.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 3 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Nakari, Poppy, Rebeltopia

(02-23-2019, 05:24 AM)Roavin Wrote: I'm dabbling a bit in Politics & War to get an outside perspective on how things could be done, removed from the usual traditions and norms within NationStates.

In P&W, I decided to check out the top alliance, which is the NPO (which operates independently of the NS NPO, before anybody starts to worry) ...

Ahhhh, I see what you are doing Devil

Rising up the NPO hierarchy so that the next time NS NPO has a crisis, management will send you in to clean up the local branch's mess and we will all have to call you Emperor Roavin Augustus III. *Respect*

(02-23-2019, 05:42 AM)Bzerneleg Wrote: ... I do think it will work for future applicants for legislatorship, as members of the Assembly ought to have at least a basic understanding of the South Pacific. This will also make new members more interested because they could really understand what's going on, unlike what we are seeing now with some legislators who applied but have not yet contributed to debates or lawmaking.

(02-23-2019, 09:31 AM)Seraph Wrote: There are things I like about this, but I worry both about the practicalities and about how it might look to those who already find this daunting.

I'm not sure I would have joined the legislature if there was such an involved process to do so.

I think Bzern has the right idea. Certainly, we can aim to provide a very basic (and easy) introduction quiz on how TSP's government functions. However, I also agree with Seraph in that we should seek to simplify any such process so as to not discourage new players.

Overall, this process may be easier for players if we allocated mentors to help ease their way into our government. Someone to point them in the right direction, which sub-forum is where, how our institutions work, etc.
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

(02-23-2019, 09:31 AM)Seraph Wrote: There are things I like about this, but I worry both about the practicalities and about how it might look to those who already find this daunting.

I think it's a matter of how. You would have a smaller up front application, then nice people asking you things, keeping you engaged, etc.

(02-23-2019, 10:19 AM)Amerion Wrote:
(02-23-2019, 05:24 AM)Roavin Wrote: I'm dabbling a bit in Politics & War to get an outside perspective on how things could be done, removed from the usual traditions and norms within NationStates.

In P&W, I decided to check out the top alliance, which is the NPO (which operates independently of the NS NPO, before anybody starts to worry) ...

Ahhhh, I see what you are doing Devil

Rising up the NPO hierarchy so that the next time NS NPO has a crisis, management will send you in to clean up the local branch's mess and we will all have to call you Emperor Roavin Augustus III. *Respect*

[-] The following 3 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Seraph

Quote:which is the NPO (which operates independently of the NS NPO, before anybody starts to worry)
Sorry to interrupt, but I've been wondering about this for quite awhile. This has really calmed my nerves - all this time I thought the NPO was an inter-website megaorganization with the power to destroy both NS and P&W!
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 2 users Like The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

(02-25-2019, 12:56 AM)The Sakhalinsk Empire Wrote:
Quote:which is the NPO (which operates independently of the NS NPO, before anybody starts to worry)
Sorry to interrupt, but I've been wondering about this for quite awhile. This has really calmed my nerves - all this time I thought the NPO was an inter-website megaorganization with the power to destroy both NS and P&W!

The branches do help each other out in time of need (for example, during the recent St Abbaddon pile-off, NS NPO called in P&W and CN people to help pile), and they do share forums/Discord. But in terms of what they actually do, they are very much things, and there are many individuals that are NPO in one game but opposed to NPO in another game.
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Poppy, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(02-25-2019, 04:32 AM)Roavin Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 12:56 AM)The Sakhalinsk Empire Wrote:

The branches do help each other out in time of need (for example, during the recent St Abbaddon pile-off, NS NPO called in P&W and CN people to help pile), and they do share forums/Discord. But in terms of what they actually do, they are very much things, and there are many individuals that are NPO in one game but opposed to NPO in another game.

Sidetrack: Roavin, we now count on you to establish a TSP colony in P&W. Should you do so, we may very well be able to build a massive piling force as a present to Nakari and the SPSF.

Go forth, my child and spread the gospel of the llama to the new world!
[-] The following 8 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Jay Coop, Nakari, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

I think what Roavin is getting at here is a really good idea. This is something we could work on setting up through the University. Maybe at the very least we could have some sort of ongoing "how to TSP" or "how to NS" course for new legislators, during the process of which they would get paired either with a mentor or someone who knows the system well to teach them the ropes. During this time the Committee would be able to do the necessary background checks and by the time they finish the course they could take an oath and be a legislator!

The primary advantage of this that I see is keeping new people engaged while the security checks are going on. A lot of times if something doesn't happen immediately people will get bored and wander off. But if we give them something to do right away it could make them more likely to contribute to the community.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 2 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

I think we need to seriously consider the implications of making something like this mandatory for being a legislator. Though I'm not necessarily opposed, I do think it's worth noting that many new legislators will be quickly turned away by a big barrier to entry like this (I know, at the time, I would have been). I mean, you think we have a problem with integration with the gameside community now? This would certainly widen that gap.

On the other hand, something like that would definitely raise the knowledge of the average legislator, so I guess the possible trade off of something like this would be possibly turning away new legislator talent but also raising the knowledge and expertise of existing legislators on average.

I think that this is something that is worth seriously considering if we wish to enforce higher legislative standards and stop new clueless legislators from being as easily coerced, but there still would be negative consequences of perhaps losing potentially brilliant people due to the barrier to entry.

Either way, this should at least definitely be a course in the university, as witchcraft suggested, since at least I would find it super useful.
Nation: 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121
I'm more active gameside than here but either place I'd love to talk ^-^
[-] The following 2 users Like Poppy's post:
  • Nakari, Roavin