We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DEBATING] Amendment to Article 1 of the Criminal Code

All: I'd like to propose the following change to Article 1 Section 2 of our criminal code.

Quote:(2) Identity fraud shall be defined as a deception made of one's self, or knowingly abetting in another's claims to a false identity, wherein this fraud threatens the security of The South Pacific, or circumvents the laws and legal processes of The South Pacific, including the electoral process and campaigns.

I think the reasonings here are pretty clear.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 3 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Ryccia, Volaworand

Full support. 

Maybe we should add in a clause about CoIs and identity fraud as well?
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 2 users Like North Prarie's post:
  • Tsunamy, Volaworand

I think it is important we prevent people from campaigning under false identities.

I do, however, have two questions regarding this proposal:

1. Is this proposal necessary to restrict identity fraud in forum-side elections or do the current conflict of interest provisions provide for that (under the "circumvent the laws" part)?

And dependent on the answer to the first question:

2. If this proposal is really only related to the Local Council, why not get them to change their local laws?
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)

I think if there is any mistake in a candidate's conflict of interest disclosure, which is caused by accident, I do not believe that candidate should receive some punishment for it. But to knowingly make a mistake is different. So I believe it would be better if we add something like "intentional" before the deception made of one's self  part.

Quote:(2) Identity fraud shall be defined as an intentional deception made of one's self, or knowingly abetting in another's claims to a false identity, wherein this fraud threatens the security of The South Pacific, or circumvents the laws and legal processes of The South Pacific, including the electoral process and campaigns.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 2 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • North Prarie, Volaworand

(03-22-2019, 10:13 PM)Nat Wrote: 2. If this proposal is really only related to the Local Council, why not get them to change their local laws?
The NHC case has brought to light how laws could be circumvented using this clause; we're working to establish specific guidelines against actions like these forumside and gameside.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 1 user Likes North Prarie's post:
  • Volaworand

I'm confused. Isn't this amendment redundant? The law already covers all laws and legal processes, do we really need to single out specific ones? Unless I'm reading it wrong this doesn't actually change what the law does.

(03-24-2019, 06:40 PM)Farengeto Wrote: I'm confused. Isn't this amendment redundant? The law already covers all laws and legal processes, do we really need to single out specific ones? Unless I'm reading it wrong this doesn't actually change what the law does.
It basically says that you need to declare a nation as your own to campaign with it.
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?

(03-22-2019, 10:13 PM)Nat Wrote: I think it is important we prevent people from campaigning under false identities.

I do, however, have two questions regarding this proposal:

1. Is this proposal necessary to restrict identity fraud in forum-side elections or do the current conflict of interest provisions provide for that (under the "circumvent the laws" part)?

2. If this proposal is really only related to the Local Council, why not get them to change their local laws?

As a Local Councilor I would fully support the application of this on game side as well.

As a legislator, I fully support this as well

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

(03-22-2019, 10:48 PM)North Prarie Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 10:13 PM)Nat Wrote: 2. If this proposal is really only related to the Local Council, why not get them to change their local laws?
The NHC case has brought to light how laws could be circumvented using this clause; we're working to establish specific guidelines against actions like these forumside and gameside. 

Oddly enough We are in a LC meeting right now discussing passing this policy gameside.

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

(03-22-2019, 10:13 PM)Nat Wrote: 1. Is this proposal necessary to restrict identity fraud in forum-side elections or do the current conflict of interest provisions provide for that (under the "circumvent the laws" part)?

(03-24-2019, 06:40 PM)Farengeto Wrote: I'm confused. Isn't this amendment redundant? The law already covers all laws and legal processes, do we really need to single out specific ones? Unless I'm reading it wrong this doesn't actually change what the law does.

Point 1: I don't know if this is redundant. The court decided my question about this was unjudicable, so I'd like to make it clear.

Point 2: I'm equally interested in making this clear for the forum-side community, not just the LC side.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]