We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] [NOMINATION] CN1901 & CN 1902— Rebeltopia and Awe — The High Court

[Image: 7ykR3za.png?1]

Statement by the Cabinet on the
Nomination of Rebeltopia and Awe as Associate Justices of the High Court

Fellow Legislators, dear Chairman,

after careful deliberation, including consultation with Chief Justice Kringalia, the Cabinet has decided to nominate both Rebeltopia and Awe to serve on the High Court of the South Pacific. While we are only obligated to fill the vacancy left by Sandaoguo, Judicial Act 1.1 explicitly permits that the High Court may comprise of more than three Justices in total.

Rebeltopia is the preferred choice expressed by Chief Justice Kringle and Associate Justice Belschaft. He works logically and methodically and understands that avoiding absurdities is important in judicial interpretation. When the matter is not clear, Rebeltopia gravitates more towards the letter rather than the spirit of the law. His record of service to the region is extensive and includes a term on the Court in 2014.

Awe is described as a candidate with some aptitude and qualifications by the Court. The Court is concerned that Awe considers the spirit of the law more than the letter of the law. However, The Cabinet is satisfied Awe shows a good understanding of judicial interpretation and the need to avoid absurdities, as well as a creative approach to seeking supporting arguments not just in the close vicinity of the specific law referenced by a case. Awe also has a solid record of service to the region, and gathered much judicial experience in the High Court in 2015

It is the Cabinet's opinion that these are two very good candidates, and while each showed some flaws when evaluated and tested in a vacuum, the required signoff mechanisms in our judicial system mean that there will be a collegial discussion about any opinions reached by the court to smooth over any such imperfections. Given the Court's current caseload as well as the diametrically different judicial philosophies between these two well-qualified candidates, the Cabinet unanimously agreed that appointing both to the Court is the most appropriate course of action.

Chairman, with the power vested in me as Prime Minister of the Coalition, I declare that the Cabinet has in good faith appointed Rebeltopia and Awe to serve as Associate Justices in accordance with per Article 1 Section 5 of the Judicial Act, and request that the corresponding assembly procedure is initiated.

CABINET OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC
March 29, 2019

[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 13 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Amerion, Awe, Beepee, Bzerneleg, Divine Owl, Imperial Frost Federation, Jebediah, Nakari, North Prarie, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Seraph, Volaworand

Since I have talked to Bzerneleg...

I want to say that, if confirmed, I will resign from the appointed Deputy Chair position, effective the moment the confirmation vote ends.

"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 8 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Amerion, Awe, Divine Owl, Imperial Frost Federation, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Poppy, Seraph, Volaworand

Is it possible if both nominees put their CoI disclosure here?

I have a question that I like to ask both nominees:

What is your position on the issue of giving the High Court the power to make plea deals?

How will you ensure that your personal political views do not affect your decisions as Justice?
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bzerneleg's post:
  • Poppy

(04-01-2019, 11:58 PM)Bzerneleg Wrote: Is it possible if both nominees put their CoI disclosure here?
Ive amended my above post to include my COI.

Bzerneleg Wrote:What is your position on the issue of giving the High Court the power to make plea deals?
I dont think that it'd be a terrible idea, but Im not sure theres really a need for them, either. The Court could use the current mechanism written in law to make a more lenient sentence against the guilty without offering a reduced sentence before the verdict.

Bzerneleg Wrote:How will you ensure that your personal political views do not affect your decisions as Justice?
Im probably about as unpolitical as you can get in this game. But, when it comes to the law, Im fairly straight forward to the letter of the law. My rulings would reflect that, and, as I see it, are pretty in line with the current Court.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Poppy

1. There have been minor discussions throughout the years about a Low Court. That idea has recently re-emerged due to concerns on the unusually heavy workload of the High Court. However, in my opinion, I am worried that the establishment of a Low Court would be excessive and overly bureaucratic. What are your views on creating a Low Court?

2. Do you personally believe that the High Court is subconsciously getting more political? If so, what do you think is the reason behind it and how do you plan on solving it? If not, could you please provide an explanation to your answer?

3. Do you agree with me that the High Court's recent errors regarding the judicial process, including the sentencing of Concrete Slab in New Haudenosaunee Confederacy v. Concrete Slab, are due to an unexpected surge in the workload of the Justices and a pressure on them to make fast but sloppy decisions?

4. Should candidates be given repercussions for unintentionally making a mistake on their Conflict of Interest disclosure?
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 2 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia

Question for Roavin or Kris

It would seem that the mock cases contained more information than is provided in the applications posted above. Is it possible for the Assembly to receive a copy of the information in these mock cases? It would be most useful in determining the soundness of the candidate's decision-making.

Questions for Rebeltopia

Question 1

In your application, you stated that:

"A circumstance that customary, judicial precedent, and other sources of interpretation of the law would not be useful is when that information is [...] construed in a way that bastardizes the prior rulings or interpretations of the law."

Can you please elaborate on what bastardising prior rulings would look like?

Question 2

In your application, you stated that the Court should consider the following regarding probable cause:

"Has the accuser provided preliminary evidence in line with the law the accused has been accused of? Is there enough preliminary evidence to warrant a trial?"

Can you please elaborate on what standard of proof would result in there being enough preliminary evidence to warrant a trial?

Question 3

"Recusals should happen when a presiding Justice would have stock in the outcome of the case, or if said Justice has inside knowledge of or took part in anything that may come up in the ongoing case."

Should a Justice also recuse themselves if interested parties have a perception that there is a conflict of interest?

Questions for Awe

Question 1

"I believe the spirit of the law should be upheld over the letter of the law, unless it is apparent that the following the letter of the law will result in the most appropriate outcome in one's reading of the law."

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by the most appropriate outcome in one's reading of the law?

Question 2

In your application, you stated (regarding determining probable cause) that:

"The Court should consider the motivations behind the Petitioner's filing of such cases."

How would you approach a case which has factual merit but is presented for a nefarious reason? For example, if an election candidate sought to convict and ban their electoral opponent from office.

Question 3

In your application, you also stated (regarding determining probable cause) that:

"The Court should also consider whether circumstantial evidence, insofar as is available to the Court, merits the filing of criminal charges."

Can you please elaborate on what standard of proof merits the filing of criminal charges?
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 2 users Like Nat's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

(04-03-2019, 12:56 AM)Nat Wrote: Question for Roavin or Kris

It would seem that the mock cases contained more information than is provided in the applications posted above. Is it possible for the Assembly to receive a copy of the information in these mock cases? It would be most useful in determining the soundness of the candidate's decision-making.

Apologies, here they are.

[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Nat, Poppy

(04-02-2019, 10:36 AM)Bzerneleg Wrote: 1. There have been minor discussions throughout the years about a Low Court. That idea has recently re-emerged due to concerns on the unusually heavy workload of the High Court. However, in my opinion, I am worried that the establishment of a Low Court would be excessive and overly bureaucratic. What are your views on creating a Low Court?
I dont really see a need for a lower court because we're (tentatively) adding 2 more justices to the pool. With a rotation of 4 justices, Even a larger case load - like we have now - shouldn't be any issue.

Bzerneleg Wrote:2. Do you personally believe that the High Court is subconsciously getting more political? If so, what do you think is the reason behind it and how do you plan on solving it? If not, could you please provide an explanation to your answer?
Youre playing a political game. There's no way that you're going to get a 100% apolitical anything. The Court is, though, as apolitical as it can get. I dont think its anywhere near a level to be concerned about. I havent seen an unfair verdict by the Court that could be remotely tied to the Court being overly political.

Bzerneleg Wrote:3. Do you agree with me that the High Court's recent errors regarding the judicial process, including the sentencing of Concrete Slab in New Haudenosaunee Confederacy v. Concrete Slab, are due to an unexpected surge in the workload of the Justices and a pressure on them to make fast but sloppy decisions?
I think the current issues within the court revolve around the high workload for the two justices. Kris has made it clear on Discord that he's pretty burned out, and, as far as Im aware, we havent seen much of Bel lately in his judicial capacity. I think 4 justices will help keep the workload lighter per justice, leading to less burnout and more "fun" cases.

Bzerneleg Wrote:4. Should candidates be given repercussions for unintentionally making a mistake on their Conflict of Interest disclosure?
In my citizen/Legislator capacity... I dont think so. Which is why I think a subforum for Legislators to post a CoI report where it can be updated as needed would be a great idea! But every time its brought up, its bypassed.
The tough part would be proving that the "mistake" was or was not "unintentional"...

PS: I see you, Nat. I'll get to your questions shortly.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebeltopia's post:
  • Bzerneleg

Nat Wrote:Questions for Rebeltopia
Question 1

"A circumstance that customary, judicial precedent, and other sources of interpretation of the law would not be useful is when that information is [...] construed in a way that bastardizes the prior rulings or interpretations of the law."

Can you please elaborate on what bastardising prior rulings would look like?
The prior ruling is bastardized when parts and pieces of the ruling are taken/quoted to suite the person quoting, but the parts and pieces, and the way they are presented, change the actual meaning of the ruling.

Nat Wrote:Question 2

In your application, you stated that the Court should consider the following regarding probable cause:

"Has the accuser provided preliminary evidence in line with the law the accused has been accused of? Is there enough preliminary evidence to warrant a trial?"

Can you please elaborate on what standard of proof would result in there being enough preliminary evidence to warrant a trial?
Preliminary evidence should, in the very least, lay out basic evidence in line with the crime. Like in my answer to the "Organa v. Palpatine" faux case, in my opinion, there wasnt enough preliminary evidence to prove that an actual crime had occurred (without actually going through a trial of arguments, its tough to work on the faux cases like that).

Nat Wrote:Question 3

"Recusals should happen when a presiding Justice would have stock in the outcome of the case, or if said Justice has inside knowledge of or took part in anything that may come up in the ongoing case."

Should a Justice also recuse themselves if interested parties have a perception that there is a conflict of interest?
Not always. The court should take control of the situation and decide if the arguments for recusal are valid, or if the interested party is trying to get another justice who may be more favorable to them. Its a tactic we've seen before, and we shouldnt let the politics of which justice may be more favorable in a specific trial get in the way of the actual trial. But, there are times where the argument for recusal may be valid, and at this point in time, the justice should recuse.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebeltopia's post:
  • Nat

I have no idea why either of them would want to do this horrible and thankless job, but Rebs and Awe will both be okay at it. Awe was overly inclined to make things up on the basis of whatever he felt was the “spirit” of the law, but maybe that’s what is needed currently.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Amerion, Rebeltopia