We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] A1906.01: Amendment to Articles 6, 7 and 8 of the Charter

When reading through the Charter today, I noticed that the Charter states both Cabinet and Delegate elections procedures "will be set by the Assembly in a general law."This is problematic as our Elections Act is a constitutional law, and is therefore not a general law.2

I also noticed the Charter requires that procedures for judicial appointment and trials "will be defined in a general law by the Assembly."This isn't a problem as our Judicial Act is a general law, not a constitutional one. However, if we change the constitutionality in the future we might forget about this provision.

Since there seems to be no real reason why the Charter specifies the requirements for a general law in these cases, I propose striking the word "general" from the aforementioned quotes. A formal amendment structure has been provided below.

Ultimately, I imagine this should be fairly straight forward since it is really just about cleaning up an inconsistency within our legislation. However, if anyone has problems with the proposal please let me know Smile 

Notes:

1. See Article VI, Section 6 and Article VII, Section 5 of the Charter, respectively.

2. In Precedence of the Laws (HCLQ1803), the Court found that "All non-constitutional laws fall into a single category of general laws."

3. See Article VIII, Sections 2 and 3 of the Charter, respectively.

Quote:
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

(6) The date, time, and manner of elections will be set by the Assembly in a general law.

VII. THE DELEGATE

(5) The date, time, and manner of electing the Delegate will be set by the Assembly in a general law, but must include the participation of the gameside community.

VIII. HIGH COURT

(2) The procedure for the appointment of the justices will be defined in a general law by the Assembly.

(3) Procedures for the conduct of criminal trials and civil cases will be defined in a general law by the Assembly.

Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 4 users Like Nat's post:
  • Aga, Amerion, Divine Owl, USoVietnam

Oh, what an excellent spot! Full support!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Aga

Id prefer changing the phrase "general law" to "separate law". This way, its specified that it is not in the Charter elsewhere.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium

(06-13-2019, 09:49 AM)Rebeltopia Wrote: Id prefer changing the phrase "general law" to "separate law". This way, its specified that it is not in the Charter elsewhere.

In RL constitutions, they often write it as "in an Act of Congress" or "in an Act of Parliament" so I don't think it should be a problem.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

Well hey I like this and good job finding it so GG. I approve it 100%

(06-13-2019, 09:49 AM)Rebeltopia Wrote: Id prefer changing the phrase "general law" to "separate law". This way, its specified that it is not in the Charter elsewhere.

I agree that such laws shouldn't be put in the Charter. Indeed, the Charter (Article XIII, Section 1) already has a requirement that "amendments to the Charter must [...] must be constitutional in nature [... and] address the structure or framework of government." In view of this, I believe your concern has already been addressed by the Charter itself. While I feel it is unnecessary, I am happy to change the proposal wording if you really want; just let me know Smile
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nat's post:
  • Amerion

Yep.  Agreed.
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.

I motion that this proposal be voted upon

I second.

I third.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest