We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Sedunnic Language

Again, another thread.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

An etymology section has been added. It so far covers some of the history/meaning of placenames.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

How do you import loan words into Sedunnic? The name Falochland is pronounced /falɒχlant/ hopefully you can read IPA. The Sedunnic name is Falochlannd. How is that pronounced and how did you get that?

In general, I try to transcibe the names using only the Sedunnic letters and spelling rules to try and approximate the original pronunciation, mainly focusing on long and short vowels. When certain sounds that don't exist in Sedunnic occur, I choose "Sedunnic" sounds close to these. Obvious personal names are normally not respelled, like Ethel J Bundy and Winston.

The Sedunnic spelling of Falochland is supposed to be a "mistake" actually. From an IC point of view, someone (the same guy that named the Cephio Islands Sefio Nessle*), thought Falochl was a person's name, and therefore left it untouched. He then thought -and was already in Sedunnic (spelled wrong), and "corrected" it to -annd, which would mean the lowland. -ann is present in Sedunnic placenames (see here). Basically, the cartographer thought Falochland meant "Falochl's lowlands". A more correct name would be Falokkskaimm, implementing Sedunnic respelling and translating land to the equivalent skaimm.

The pronunciation of Falochlannd would be taught as Falokklannd. You would probably hear all kinds of strange attempts at pronouncing it correctly from those who don't remember what they were taught back in school.

Loanwords are rare in Sedunnic. The Sedunnic language is highly conservative and has few foreign words in its vocabulary. Loans are often words associated with unique cultural phenomena or standard units for measuring, etc.

* Sefi was a common given name, and the cartographer used that one instead of respelling Cephio.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

The ch sound in Falochland is a guttural sound. If it doesn't exist in Sedunnic I would just use that sound for loan words but if you don't want that sound then I recommend Falokland.

So why is the FSoO simply Omega on here?
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(08-10-2016, 09:26 PM)Omega Wrote: So why is the FSoO simply Omega on here?

Probably for the same reason that the USA is often just referred to as America.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Information about political systems is normally not included in the names if there aren't any competitors for the name. For instance, if there was a Kingdom of Omega as well, or a continent called that, the Sedunnic equivalent of Federated States would have been included.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

Sprechen sie Deutsch? ??

No. Why?
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator