We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Map of the South Pacific
#1,031

On second thought, I'm moving the capital of Termina to Clocktown to make the reference obvious.
Sorry @Qwert
#1,032

Seriously, Zelda?
DylanPickle-

Owner of Harmakmis-Gordista and Carta-Agot

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles
#1,033

Don't hate me @Qwert but I have changed my mind too... bad timing I know!
I'd like to switch Kai Fa from its current plot to 226. I'm stating it already because I plan to get involved it in roleplay in the next few days, so I need to "book" the new plot.

As always, thank you for the great work with the map!

Brother Unclepear
Dear Leader of the Voodoo People's Republic of Bruuma

Representing also

El Pollo Diablo
Boss Maximo of the Estado Libre Asociado of Puerto Pollo

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairman Lo Pol
Core Leader of the People's Republic of Kai Fa
[-] The following 2 users Like VPRB's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, Qwert
#1,034

@Dillguy9 , @Imperial Frost Federation , @VPRB

Next update Happywide
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • VPRB
#1,035

request to update cities in upper and lower kotci  

https://imgur.com/a/M7GPYk7 . Upper Kotci City names : Om, Zalo, Realin, Gilzi, Mikmii, Mutri 

https://imgur.com/a/Uq3kKBo . Lower Kotci   cities names ;  Melzo, Möåk, Jebnok, Mölnu (u with two dots), Rövibek

sorry abut my bad editing, i have no suitable program so i used a browser version of paint :S
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mitandersfors's post:
  • Qwert
#1,036

I've had a look at what the type of projection used for the map means for the plots. If you look at the map below, which shows an equirectangular projection of RL Earth and the deformation that occurs at different latitudes, you'll see that land farther away from the equator are actually shown wider than they really are. (Which makes sense if you for example envision trying to make a flat rectangle out of a football/soccer ball. You'd have to pull really hard to stretch out those corners.)

[Image: yb7JVsj.png]

If you compensate for this by resizing the map so that one ellipse becomes a circle you end up with a map which shows a more true projection for that particular latitude. I did this for (Beilltemmic) Sedunn and the Vastraenn province respectively.

[Image: YckHG5T.png]

I guess Vastraenn isn't that vast after all Wink
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • Seraph
#1,037

Cool
#1,038

Ha, and very cool. So are we going to correct the map or keep it at this slightly different projection? Maybe we can add Robinson projection...
DylanPickle-

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles
#1,039

(11-27-2018, 05:28 PM)Dillguy9 Wrote: Ha, and very cool. So are we going to correct the map or keep it at this slightly different projection? Maybe we can add Robinson projection...

It is, isn't it? Tounge

Nothing's wrong with the map, it's just what the projection produces. Stuff's more accurate near the equator. Other projections would be possible, but you'd have to come up with a good transformation matrix to accurately change the projection for the entire map.

The image below shows the latitude sections 15°S-45°S and 45°S-70°S adjusted for the distortion at 30°S and 60°S respectively.

[Image: sMhCo23.png]
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

#1,040

Oh wait, it isn't in Mercator? That would be horrific to do that...
DylanPickle-

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles