We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Debate] Splitting RA Round 2

Before I devote time on Wednesday to drafting, is anyone currently drafting a legislative proposal relating to the framework I laid out on May 2nd?
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 3 users Like Omega's post:
  • Amerion, Somyrion, USoVietnam

(05-04-2020, 04:19 PM)Omega Wrote: Before I devote time on Wednesday to drafting, is anyone currently drafting a legislative proposal relating to the framework I laid out on May 2nd?

I was planning on doing so -- I like that framework -- but I haven't had the time. You go ahead.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Somyrion's post:
  • Omega

If it is permitted, I motion Jay's alternative proposal to a vote.
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.

(05-06-2020, 07:21 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: If it is permitted, I motion Jay's alternative proposal to a vote.

With all due respect, I can in no way support such a motion at this time. Here are the two reasons:
1. It has been made clear that there exists a framework separate from Jay's proposal that has significant support. There is yet to be legislation so by motinging this to a vote now, you could circumvent the competing proposal rules.
2. The MoRA staff made a commitment to consensus and if anything is clear, there is not consensus to move forward with the idea of just splitting off integration. The consensus instead seems to be that if we do split MoRA, we need to split off culture and media in some capacity.

For those reasons I can not, in good faith, support this motion.
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(05-06-2020, 07:21 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: If it is permitted, I motion Jay's alternative proposal to a vote.

I don't believe we've established a consensus yet, which was the goal of Jay's proposal. I think Omega is in the process of working on something to combine aspects of both proposals as well as Qwert's intriguing novel suggestion. If we want to make sure we have consensus, now that some new ideas are on the table to really work with, let's figure them out first.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

Okay, I have yet to write out the enabling legislation as I am still not quite sure the best way to format it. Borrowing from the MoRA leadership's proposal might be a great approach there but here is what I have based on what was laid out earlier:
Article VI Wrote:(2) The Cabinet will consist of ministers with the following portfolios: Foreign Affairs, Regional AffairsCulture, Engagement, and Military Affairs.

Minister of Regional Affairs

(7) The Minister of Regional Affairs will be responsible for promoting regional and forum activity, integrating new players into the forums, organizing cultural events, and communicating with the world about the South Pacific’s activities.
Minister of Culture

(7) The Minister of Culture will be responsible for supporting the roleplay community and planning regional cultural activities, events, and exchanges.

Minister of Engagement

(8) The Minister of Engagement will be responsible for integrating new players into the Coalition's government and community.

(9) The Minister of Engagement will direct the Coalition's educational initiatives.
Department Act Wrote:
Departments Act
An Act Establishing Departments of the Cabinet
1. Creation of Departments of the Cabinet

(1) The Departments are to considered as a part of the Cabinet and under the supervision of the Prime Minister.

(2) The Departments are to be separate from the Ministerial System and exist to serve the entire Coalition government and its members.

2. Directors

(1) Each Department shall be led by a Director who will be considered officials of the Coalition. 

(2) At the conclusion of regular Cabinet Elections, the incoming Cabinet shall nominate Directors for all Departments.
a. These nominations are to be presented to the Assembly before the conclusion of the transition period.
b. These nominations must be confirmed by the Assembly.

(3) In the event of a vacancy, the Cabinet shall submit a nominee to the Assembly to fill the remainder of the term.
a. This nomination must be confirmed by the Assembly.

(4) Directors will all be considered ex officio Cabinet Advisors.

3. Active Departments

(1) The following Departments of the Cabinet are currently in existence with their related mandates:
a. Department of Media- responsible for keeping the general public informed through independent journalism in all of its forms.
b. Department of Art and Design- responsible for providing logos, templates, and other types of artistic products to the government and citizens of the Coalition.

4. Constitutional Law

(1) The Departments Act is a constitutional law, and further amendments to it must meet constitutional amendment requirements.
I did not include OWL in this act at this point as that is not the focus of this debate but this could provide a template for the later elevation of OWL into a department.

Please provide suggestions for improvements to the legislation, I just wanted to get something on the floor so we would have a policy to debate as opposed to just an idea.[/align]
Has Been
What's Next?

[-] The following 3 users Like Omega's post:
  • Amerion, Seraph, Somyrion

(05-07-2020, 12:07 AM)Omega Wrote: Okay, I have yet to write out the enabling legislation as I am still not quite sure the best way to format it. Borrowing from the MoRA leadership's proposal might be a great approach there but here is what I have based on what was laid out earlier:
Article VI Wrote:(2) The Cabinet will consist of ministers with the following portfolios: Foreign Affairs, Regional AffairsCulture, Engagement, and Military Affairs.

Minister of Regional Affairs

(7) The Minister of Regional Affairs will be responsible for promoting regional and forum activity, integrating new players into the forums, organizing cultural events, and communicating with the world about the South Pacific’s activities.
Minister of Culture

(7) The Minister of Culture will be responsible for supporting the roleplay community and planning regional cultural activities, events, and exchanges.

Minister of Engagement

(8) The Minister of Engagement will be responsible for integrating new players into the Coalition's government and community.

(9) The Minister of Engagement will direct the Coalition's educational initiatives.
Department Act Wrote:
Departments Act
An Act Establishing Departments of the Cabinet
1. Creation of Departments of the Cabinet

(1) The Departments are to considered as a part of the Cabinet and under the supervision of the Prime Minister.

(2) The Departments are to be separate from the Ministerial System and exist to serve the entire Coalition government and its members.

2. Directors

(1) Each Department shall be led by a Director who will be considered officials of the Coalition. 

(2) At the conclusion of regular Cabinet Elections, the incoming Cabinet shall nominate Directors for all Departments.
a. These nominations are to be presented to the Assembly before the conclusion of the transition period.
b. These nominations must be confirmed by the Assembly.

(3) In the event of a vacancy, the Cabinet shall submit a nominee to the Assembly to fill the remainder of the term.
a. This nomination must be confirmed by the Assembly.

3. Active Departments

(1) The following Departments of the Cabinet are currently in existence with their related mandates:
a. Department of Media- responsible for keeping the general public informed through independent journalism in all of its forms.
b. Department of Art and Design- responsible for providing logos, templates, and other types of artistic products to the government and citizens of the Coalition.

4. Constitutional Law

(1) The Departments Act is a constitutional law, and further amendments to it must meet constitutional amendment requirements.
I did not include OWL in this act at this point as that is not the focus of this debate but this could provide a template for the later elevation of OWL into a department.

Please provide suggestions for improvements to the legislation, I just wanted to get something on the floor so we would have a policy to debate as opposed to just an idea.[/align]

OWL is intended to be leveled up directly to ministry in the future so we don’t need to care about that.
Btw, I recommend creating a dedicated thread on the department thing.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 1 user Likes USoVietnam's post:
  • Amerion

(05-07-2020, 12:35 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: I recommend creating a dedicated thread on the department thing.

I was going to keep it all here since the whole reason we're talking departments is in the context of a MoRA split. Happy to do otherwise if this is a shared sentiment, however.
Has Been
What's Next?

(05-07-2020, 01:09 AM)Omega Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 12:35 AM)USoVietnam Wrote: I recommend creating a dedicated thread on the department thing.

I was going to keep it all here since the whole reason we're talking departments is in the context of a MoRA split. Happy to do otherwise if this is a shared sentiment, however.

Yeah, I think we'd want to vote on these as a package as otherwise we might end up with entirely ad hoc media and design, covered by neither ministry nor department.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 2 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Omega, Somyrion

We don't necessarily need a department act, as Cabinet can just do so out of its own volition (as it did with OWL), and can even put the specifics of it into enforceable policy (as it will be done with OWL).
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]