We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Debate] Splitting RA Round 2

(05-10-2020, 07:13 AM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: If we do want to split Culture, media and integration, why don't we make them fully fledged ministries?

I believe that is the intention of Omega's draft proposal (with the exception of media).

(05-10-2020, 07:13 AM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: If we do want to split Culture, media and integration, why don't we make them fully fledged ministries?
That was the original intent of folk like Omega and myself, but with a fear that it was least likely to gain consensus. Then we had Qwert's suggestion, which seemed not only an admirable compromise, but a wholly different way of looking at the situation which it seems many of us have warmed to, hence Omega's most recent proposal.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 2 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Aga, Somyrion

Here's an idea that might be terrible, but is a genuine attempt at compromise, I promise!

Pro-split people have brought up several issues: MoRA being too big for one person, MoRA not having much cabinet representation, the fact a lot of MoRA leadership is not electorally accountable... We might be able to solve those without a split.

We could elect two Ministers of Regional Affairs. EDIT: Either have them decide who does which bit, or have the ministers split into EA/CA or similar, without splitting the ministry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nakari's post:
  • Aga

(05-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Nakari Wrote: Here's an idea that might be terrible, but is a genuine attempt at compromise, I promise!

Pro-split people have brought up several issues: MoRA being too big for one person, MoRA not having much cabinet representation, the fact a lot of MoRA leadership is not electorally accountable... We might be able to solve those without a split.

We could elect two Ministers of Regional Affairs. It would be up to them to decide who runs what and is responsible for what, but Cabinet already involves that kind of negotiation, so I don't think that would be awful.

I like this suggestion, however, is there enough interest for two people to run for the position?
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aga's post:
  • Nakari

(05-10-2020, 09:23 AM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Nakari Wrote: Here's an idea that might be terrible, but is a genuine attempt at compromise, I promise!

We could elect two Ministers of Regional Affairs. It would be up to them to decide who runs what and is responsible for what, but Cabinet already involves that kind of negotiation, so I don't think that would be awful.

I like this suggestion, however, is there enough interest for two people to run for the position?

I don't know. But running half a ministry is less intimidating than a full ministry, and I suspect that would attract people. People intending to run might encourage others to run also, easing the burden.

(We could also split ministers into defined roles like EA/CA, or whatever, rather than having them decide, as I could see that being an issue in elections. I think the discussion has so far assumed that multiple ministers means multiple ministries, but I don't think that has to happen.)

I appreciate the thinking outside the situation again, but it sounds like a recipe for contention to me. Without clear legal boundaries to the power of each, there will almost certainly be tensions if not outright arguments and power struggles between the two ministers and whilst people may be attracted to running knowing they only have to control half the ministry, if what they are to control isn't clearly defined before they run, it'll be s confusing election and a daunting prospect for any prospective candidates.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 3 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Nakari, Omega, Somyrion

(05-10-2020, 10:03 AM)Seraph Wrote:

I appreciate the thinking outside the situation again, but it sounds like a recipe for contention to me. Without clear legal boundaries to the power of each, there will almost certainly be tensions if not outright arguments and power struggles between the two ministers and whilst people may be attracted to running knowing they only have to control half the ministry, if what they are to control isn't clearly defined before they run, it'll be s confusing election and a daunting prospect for any prospective candidates. 

Then we can split the Ministers into EA/CA or similar, perhaps, without splitting the ministry.

(05-10-2020, 10:08 AM)Nakari Wrote: Then we can split the Ministers into EA/CA or similar, perhaps, without splitting the ministry.

If it is a split in all but the name, why not go just an extra step and make it official?

(05-10-2020, 10:34 AM)Amerion Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 10:08 AM)Nakari Wrote: Then we can split the Ministers into EA/CA or similar, perhaps, without splitting the ministry.

If it is a split in all but the name, why not go just an extra step and make it official?  

I'm not thinking of it as a split in all but name. The ministers would, in my mind at least, be working in the same ministry and have a similar set up to now, with free interflow between the different aspects of MoRA - just more of it would be electorally accountable and there wouldn't be only one person at the head. The end goal of this idea is to split the ministers rather than the ministry, so there's nothing to be made official.

Plus, it's meant to be a compromise of pro-split-ministry people's concerns and anti-split-ministry people's concerns - a full split wouldn't be much of a compromise Tounge

(05-10-2020, 10:40 AM)Nakari Wrote:
(05-10-2020, 10:34 AM)Amerion Wrote:

I'm not thinking of it as a split in all but name. The ministers would, in my mind at least, be working in the same ministry and have a similar set up to now, with free interflow between the different aspects of MoRA - just more of it would be electorally accountable and there wouldn't be only one person at the head. The end goal of this idea is to split the ministers rather than the ministry, so there's nothing to be made official.

Plus, it's meant to be a compromise of pro-split-ministry people's concerns and anti-split-ministry people's concerns - a full split wouldn't be much of a compromise Tounge

To be perfectly honest and with all due respect, I remain rather baffled by what this proposal will accomplish that Omega's or for that matter, Jay's, would not do and do so in a way which is much cleaner.

Not exactly relating to your new suggestion but more so in general — I must also say and I believe Rabbitz hinted at this in an earlier post but at this point in time, the debate has gone on for far too long. Sixteen [edit: twenty] pages (plus a dozen in the other thread). Countless hours in Discord. May we please just end it. sigh
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Nakari, Somyrion