We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Abolish the Local Council

OK... back to poke and prod ideas....

If we're appointing moderators as LC... who are we appointing? I'm going to assume given, the general disdain for RMB there's not going to be any Assembly members going for it. And I'm assuming that CRS isn't going to want to do it.

So we're getting someone to appoint from the RMB flavoured posters? What criteria for selection is there?

(07-20-2022, 08:44 PM)Beepee Wrote: If we're appointing moderators as LC... who are we appointing? I'm going to assume given, the general disdain for RMB there's not going to be any Assembly members going for it. And I'm assuming that CRS isn't going to want to do it.

So we're getting someone to appoint from the RMB flavoured posters? What criteria for selection is there?

Let's not pretend like we're reinventing the wheel here. There is already a process for administrators to review and appoint new moderators, and there is no reason why this should be any different. I'll quote Glen's remarks on the matter:

(07-20-2022, 12:18 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: RMB mods would not be elected, they would be appointed, just like all other moderators in the history of TSP. They would answer to the admin team, for the same reason.

We need to get over this idea that there’s a gameside vs forumside for *everything*. That whole framework was specifically for *in-character politics*, the “political game” of TSP, back when we were all idiots thinking that the RMB had any interest at all in playing our weird semi-roleplay political nomic game. Moderation of the RMB falls under community management, which is what the admin and mod teams do already with the forums and Discord. RMB moderators would be joining that structure to moderate the RMB, outside of the political game.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Glee is frustrated because recently they've had to explain that moderating the RMB is not a part of CRS obligations despite the CRS holding BC rights. However, a few members of the CRS sometimes did exercise moderation over the RMB when it was asked of them to do so by the LC who don't hold BC rights. This caused confusion and some players specifically targeted Sandaoguo for ''not doing their job'' even if it isn't their job.

Drycar, on the other hand, is frustrated because there is a clear division among the regions' communiTIES (RMB/Discord/NS forums/TSPRP forums, TSP 'political' forums and probably many more). Being predominantly a member of the RMB community of our region, it's clear to see why this sort of change would be perceived as hostile.

I believe a middle-ground solution here would be to re-define what the LC is legally and it is an elected group of players which are active and are viewed in positive light by others. I believe we should remove the obligation of moderating the RMB from the core of the LC and give that responsibility to the the TSP mod/admin team.
However, in the spirit of contemporary functional democracy and its' tenet of diverse, broad participation; I believe that the LC should remain, albeit reformed.

As I've mentioned before, I believe the LC and the Delegate are conceptually a single body. Neither are political (nor should be), both are (mostly) engaged with all TSP communities. The Delegate, as such, should create a ballot of ~9-10 candidates from the RMB community. After providing a CoI, a poll is created on the RMB where that community chooses their favorite candidate from the list. First past the post voting and the number of candidates with the three highest amount of votes win.
The Delegate will then use their own discretion to guide the LC and themselves in bettering the RMB community. The LC is accountable to the Delegate while the Delegate is accountable to The Assembly which has elected them.

(07-20-2022, 10:37 PM)The Allied States of Bistritza Wrote: Glee is frustrated because recently they've had to explain that moderating the RMB is not a part of CRS obligations despite the CRS holding BC rights. However, a few members of the CRS sometimes did exercise moderation over the RMB when it was asked of them to do so by the LC who don't hold BC rights. This caused confusion and some players specifically targeted Sandaoguo for ''not doing their job'' even if it isn't their job.

Drycar, on the other hand, is frustrated because there is a clear division among the regions' communiTIES (RMB/Discord/NS forums/TSPRP forums, TSP 'political' forums and probably many more). Being predominantly a member of the RMB community of our region, it's clear to see why this sort of change would be perceived as hostile.

I believe a middle-ground solution here would be to re-define what the LC is legally and it is an elected group of players which are active and are viewed in positive light by others. I believe we should remove the obligation of moderating the RMB from the core of the LC and give that responsibility to the the TSP mod/admin team.
However, in the spirit of contemporary functional democracy and its' tenet of diverse, broad participation; I believe that the LC should remain, albeit reformed.

As I've mentioned before, I believe the LC and the Delegate are conceptually a single body. Neither are political (nor should be), both are (mostly) engaged with all TSP communities. The Delegate, as such, should create a ballot of ~9-10 candidates from the RMB community. After providing a CoI, a poll is created on the RMB where that community chooses their favorite candidate from the list. First past the post voting and the number of candidates with the three highest amount of votes win.
The Delegate will then use their own discretion to guide the LC and themselves in bettering the RMB community. The LC is accountable to the Delegate while the Delegate is accountable to The Assembly which has elected them.
The chances of the LC being an elected group anymore is slim at this point. It may be better to come up with proposals that focus on a system of appointment.

(07-20-2022, 09:02 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(07-20-2022, 08:44 PM)Beepee Wrote: If we're appointing moderators as LC... who are we appointing? I'm going to assume given, the general disdain for RMB there's not going to be any Assembly members going for it. And I'm assuming that CRS isn't going to want to do it.

Let's not pretend like we're reinventing the wheel here. There is already a process for administrators to review and appoint new moderators, and there is no reason why this should be any different. I'll quote Glen's remarks on the matter:

(07-20-2022, 12:18 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: RMB mods would not be elected, they would be appointed, just like all other moderators in the history of TSP. They would answer to the admin team, for the same reason.

We need to get over this idea that there’s a gameside vs forumside for *everything*. That whole framework was specifically for *in-character politics*, the “political game” of TSP, back when we were all idiots thinking that the RMB had any interest at all in playing our weird semi-roleplay political nomic game. Moderation of the RMB falls under community management, which is what the admin and mod teams do already with the forums and Discord. RMB moderators would be joining that structure to moderate the RMB, outside of the political game.

So the CRS is going to choose people from the RMB?

(07-21-2022, 02:24 AM)Beepee Wrote:

I think an application system may work better. People that want to be a "mod", may try to become one by writing up an application, similar to a campaign in an election. However, they would have to be vetted by the CRS. A pick and choose system probably won't work that well if some of those people asked to join don't want to or can't join.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Evinea_'s post:
  • Beepee

(07-21-2022, 02:39 AM)Evinea_ Wrote:
(07-21-2022, 02:24 AM)Beepee Wrote:

I think an application system may work better. People that want to be a "mod", may try to become one by writing up an application, similar to a campaign in an election. However, they would have to be vetted by the CRS. A pick and choose system probably won't work that well if some of those people asked to join don't want to or can't join.

Thanks...

Could you all please do proper research before engaging in these discussions? If you don’t know who administrators are or how moderators are appointed (and you clearly don’t know) then the least you can do is investigate. I’m engaging in this discussion in good faith and I find it a serious lack of courtesy, and a waste of my and others’ time, for you all to engage without even taking the effort to get your facts straight.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Jay Coop, USoVietnam

(07-21-2022, 09:08 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Could you all please do proper research before engaging in these discussions? If you don’t know who administrators are or how moderators are appointed (and you clearly don’t know) then the least you can do is investigate. I’m engaging in this discussion in good faith and I find it a serious lack of courtesy, and a waste of my and others’ time, for you all to engage without even taking the effort to get your facts straight.

Calm down kringly.

There are naturally going to be people who are looking at different ways of doing things and given we're wanting to rewrite the charter and the processes of how we're doing things (Not just on LC, but also the courts, the CRS, etc ; ) and what's existing now might not be in place at the end of the process.

You can't just try and shut down an discussion with 'we have a process' if it's all up in the air. You said earlier, 'were not reinventing the wheel here' actually we are that's the whole point of a GC.3

You need to at the very least put in the effort to understand how this region, the Charter, our laws, and community management work before you start throwing out questions like “So the CRS is going to appoint mods?”

The answer to that is no. Community management (administration and moderation) is not a political function. No branch of government appoints admins or mods, and community management isn’t a branch of the government either.