We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

(OOC Discussion) Indigenous Peoples of the Western Contintent

(05-21-2016, 11:21 AM)Seraph Wrote:
(05-21-2016, 08:10 AM)Qwert Wrote: What do the Serevo-Erinorans look like, compared to RL people?

I've kinda been deliberately vague on that one so as to avoid any accidental racism (and it's one of the reasons I've avoided using photos), but much of their history and culture is (very loosely) inspired by pre-Columbian civilisations like the Maya, Inca and Tiwanaku, so, broadly speaking they ought to resemble the indigenous peoples of Meso- and South America.

I hope that's not too vague.

(05-21-2016, 04:46 PM)Seraph Wrote: Oh, I know, which is precisely why I replied the way I did. I know I'm playing about with and stealing ideas from the cultures of other people who also happen to be right here on the board.

Of course I'm sure there area a million ways in which the opposite has happened across the interwebs without much comment, but then European history and culture is so dominant it's practically public domain. I can understand why us casually messing about with other people's can be offensive.

So yeah, that's my disclaimer I guess; I'm an amateur playing about with things I don't really understand (and almost certainly can't do real justice to) just because I think they're cool and happen to have access to Wikipedia... :/

It would take a lot to make something like this racism. I'd say you are free to borrow from any culture (as long as it makes sense Tounge), and just because your architecture resembles Mayan doesn't mean your people have to. You should avoid stereotypes though, like a Frenchman with a baguette, a glass of wine, and.. you get the picture...
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

Messages In This Thread
RE: (OOC Discussion) Indigenous Peoples of the Western Contintent - by Qwert - 05-21-2016, 05:10 PM