We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amendment to Article 1 of the Legislative Procedure Act (Archived threads)

(01-12-2019, 02:21 AM)Seraph Wrote:
(01-12-2019, 01:42 AM)palaisbellevuebz Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 03:33 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: If we're really going to go through with this, can we label this clause #6? It really shouldnt go above the competing bills language, and should really be at the end of the act...

I agree. 

Quote:(6) Any bill, resolution or amendment which has been inactive for more than one month shall be considered defunct and archived, unless directed otherwise by the Chair. 

I prefer making this a discretionary thing, as Amerion suggested, but if we eik with your draft, i think it should be 'shall be considered defunct and must be archived' to achieve what you want it to.   

Though I'm still leaning on the other side of giving the Chair discretionary powers on deci, I still welcome other Legislators who would be able to persuade me on that.

I also want to thank Roavin for reminding us on the loopholes and I think it would be a good idea to include it into the amendment. Although you may notice Section 2, Article 2 of the Legislative Procedure Act which covers the topic of the legislative history of enacted laws, however it doesn't mandate the Chair or any other competent authorities to archive it, that is why I've added Section 7. One example would be the debate thread of the Law Standards Act which is still technically on the Assembly floor and should've been archived a long time ago.

Quote:(6) Any bill, resolution or amendment which has been inactive for more than one month shall be considered defunct and archived, unless directed otherwise by the Chair. 

(7) Should any bill, resolution or amendment become law, itself, along with its debate thread and voting results, shall be archived.

2. Powers and Responsibilities of the Chair

(1) The Chair is responsible for creating voting threads and recording votes. In the event that the Chair does not perform these duties in a reasonable time frame, any legislator their deputy may create voting threads and record votes.

One thing that I've recently found out and wanted to fix now that I have the opportunity to do so is to make a tiny change to Section 1, Article 2. That is because leaving administrative work to the Chair and their deputies is the best option and letting legislators do it themselves would often create unwanted inconsistencies that will turn everything into a big mess. Though I know it's very rare for something like that to happen, we should still be closing loopholes in our laws in order to make it better and more functional.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bzerneleg's post:
  • The Sakhalinsk Empire

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DISCUSSION] Amendment to the Legislative Procedure Act - by Bzerneleg - 01-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Now At Vote - by Amerion - 01-19-2019, 01:41 AM