We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Clarifying who can be recalled

Just for the record: I am using my new format here which I will post a full-length post for soon. This is simply my opinion on the topic and ideas for possible solutions. It isn't really made for small straightforward things like this, however it can still help.

Problem
Clarifying who can be recalled

Quote:The Charter says "Any official of the Coalition may be recalled ...", but it doesn't define what an "official" is. The Elections Act, however, says "Offices of the Coalition are the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Chief Justice, and any of their appointed deputies." Does the Elections Act's definition of "offices" mean that only those officials can get recalled?

This might also cause problems later on if there is a recall of an official not included in this list.

Solutions

Possible Solutions:
Define who can be recalled
Simply add a description to the article in the charter explaining who is eligible for a recall.
+ Simple, easy to implement
- Still leaves room for confusion over other articles which use "official"

Define what an official is
Add an article to the charter explaining what is defined by a "Government Official" and simply refer to this definition in all other laws.
+ Clarifies all instances of "Official"
- Would take some time to write up
- There isn't a clear consensus about what would count as an official - if it's only elected positions/deputies or if it includes ministry employees.

As for who should be included in the recall motion in either solution, I'd say that the Elections Act officials work pretty much fine.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
[Discussion] Clarifying who can be recalled - by Jebediah - 11-24-2020, 09:14 PM