We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] [2227.AB] Abolishing MoM — AMoMendment to Article 6 of the Charter

(06-13-2022, 01:33 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 12:22 PM)BlockBuster2K43 Wrote:
(06-13-2022, 12:08 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 11:33 PM)Comfed Wrote:
(06-12-2022, 10:45 PM)Farengeto Wrote: Just for the purpose of being legally unambiguous here, I would suggest some kind of resolution with this amendment making it clear what happens with shutting down the ministry and the dismissal of the minister. (e.g. The minister being dismissed immediately after its passage vs serving out the remainder of the term.)

Best not to have a defunct ministry floating around in a legally ambiguous state for the rest of the term if we can avoid it.

Agreed, something along the lines of this:
Upon the passage of this amendment, the Ministry of Media will be dissolved in its entirety and the Minister of Media will be removed from office.

I consider this unnecessary for the reasons stated by Jebediah - Article Six, Clause Ten is the sole reference to a Ministry of Media in our laws. Once it is removed there is no legal basis for such a Ministry or a Minister to exist.

(06-13-2022, 06:57 AM)BlockBuster2K43 Wrote: I’m assuming that the roles and responsibilities of the Ministry of Media will be passed onto other ministries within the South Pacific?

Why?

Oh, okay. So any activity or tasks performed by the Ministry of Media will cease to exist and no longer be used/updated? So the Southern Journal will cease to exist by that logic.

Why would it cease to exist? What is stopping someone from publishing an edition of the Southern Journal, SPINN, TSP Monthly News, TSP Times, etc etc whenever they feel like it?

You don't need a Ministry of Media to write a newspaper.

While I agree in principle Bel, wasn't Media formally under the MoRA umbrella previously? To Far's point, we need to dictate where this will go and who will be responsible for it — if anyone.

We're no longer in an SP that will allow someone to randomly grab ahold of the newspaper or SJ and run with it. And, those days seems pretty far behind us, much to some of our chagrin.

It seems to me like Media should Fall under Culture or Engagement. If we want we could start calling one of them RA again.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Messages In This Thread
RE: [DRAFT] [2227.AB] Abolishing MoM — AMoMendment to Article 6 of the Charter - by Tsunamy - 06-15-2022, 08:43 PM