We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Amend the Times Act

I am once again begging this august Assembly to stop being such nerds and use a timezone that works for the vast majority of our community.
Quote:
Times Act
An act to establish a common timezone for all official deadlines

Table of contents
  1. Scope
  2. Official Timezone

1. Scope

(1) This act applies to all legal deadlines used by government entities in the South Pacific.

2. Official Timezone

(1) All legal deadlines that establish a specific hour and minute must use Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) Eastern Standard Time, or Eastern Daylight Time during Daylight Savings, in either a 12-hour or 24-hour format.

(2) The deadline must contain a link to a countdown timer established using the Time and Date Live Countdown Timer.

(3) All such deadlines shall be accompanied by a reference to the equivalent time in London, New York and Sydney provided by the Time and Date Time Zone Converter.

(4) When publishing non-legal deadlines, conformance to this act is strongly encouraged.

If you are proposing this change then shouldn't Article 2 Section 3 also be amended to remove the time in New York, since that's redundant?

Anyway, against--will probably elaborate later.

London is already redundant, yet it's listed. And if you oppose, then you hate making democracy easy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sandaoguo's post:
  • Tsunamy

I’m not a fan of making the game even more US-centric than it already is.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(01-07-2022, 09:01 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I’m not a fan of making the game even more US-centric than it already is.

Eastern Standard Time is not a US-only time zone.

(01-07-2022, 08:48 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: London is already redundant, yet it's listed. And if you oppose, then you hate making democracy easy.

Half of the year, it's not redundant--they have daylight savings.

(01-07-2022, 09:09 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 08:48 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: London is already redundant, yet it's listed. And if you oppose, then you hate making democracy easy.

Half of the year, it's not redundant--they have daylight savings.

Considering we have little to no Western African players, this hardly matters. Everyone here who actually lives in UTC-00:00 observes daylight savings. So this is just revealing how UTC is even more useless for us-- for half the year, nobody in TSP lives in it!

I see this as falling under the same umbrella of personal responsibility as the issue of casting ballots correctly. We expect people to read the instructions in order to participate, and the particular rule about deadlines being set at midnight UTC is something that has been implemented for nearly as long (if not exactly as long) as I have been Election Commissioner (more than a year half a year at this point), so this is most definitely not something coming out of the blue. In addition, there is a technical solution to any possible confusions in the form of a countdown link and a time zone conversion link, both present in the Declarations thread. If anyone didn’t realise when the deadline ended, then it was because (1) they didn’t fully read the instruction, and (2) they waited until the very last minute out of a 7-day period.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(01-07-2022, 09:26 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
I see this as falling under the same umbrella of personal responsibility as the issue of casting ballots correctly. We expect people to read the instructions in order to participate, and the particular rule about deadlines being set at midnight UTC is something that has been implemented for nearly as long (if not exactly as long) as I have been Election Commissioner (more than a year at this point), so this is most definitely not something coming out of the blue. In addition, there is a technical solution to any possible confusions in the form of a countdown link and a time zone conversion link, both present in the Declarations thread. If anyone didn’t realise when the deadline ended, then it was because (1) they didn’t fully read the instruction, and (2) they waited until the very last minute out of a 7-day period.

When we last debated this, the regional consensus was that the Election Commissioner would not make deadlines in the middle of the night in UTC. Because doing so specifically misleads the vast majority of TSP, who lives in timezones where midnight UTC on Jan 1 is actually in the early evening of Dec 31. You can harp on personal responsibility all you want, that doesn't change the problem. And it doesn't change the you as Election Commissioner, all due to respect!, did not fulfill the responsibilities of ensuring election deadlines are set at convenient times that did not result in literally different dates for the majority of the community.

This is, quite simply, a case of our region purposefully making things harder for the sake of being haughty academics. More than 900 forum users are in the Eastern time zone. Less than 100 are UTC. We use UTC because of a flawed argument that it's "fair." It's not. It's "sawing a baby in half" kind of fairness. It works for a small handful of TSPers, and even then only half the year. The vast majority of this community, whether you like it or not, lives in Eastern Time or lives in a country where they are familiar with it. We have a relative handful (and not even that, like a very lose hand cupping) of active TSPers who live in UTC or in a country close to it. And even then, we do not adjust for European daylight savings/summer time changes, so half the year everybody has to deal with our "official time" needing converted.

It's inequitable. It's illogical. It's a waste of time. It's inconvenient. It causes nothing but problems. But it makes some people feel Technically Right because UTC is the "universal" time. Again with due respect, but as Election Commissioner you have not done much of anything to alleviate any potential confusion or misleading dates. Other Commissioners have directly listed the London, New York, and Sydney times, as required by law. Your elections have not. You just add a small link to a conversion website, in a separate paragraph admonishing people that's their Personal Responsibility to know how to convert a timezone halfway around the world for most of them.

If TSP isn't going to be reasonable about using a timezone that the vast majority of us are used to, then I'm going to propose other amendments that force the Election Commissioner's hands into making deadlines crystal clear for everybody, and also limiting election dates and times to reasonable windows.

My belief is that as a game that is by its nature, international — the last two Delegates are both Australian Tounge — our timezone should be catered towards this notion. In that respect, many of us who do not live in the U.S. are familiar with the UTC time and our own timezone's relation to UTC. As such, I assume that for many, we can easily convert the time in our head, i.e. Melbourne is UTC+11. UTC is an international standard and our use of it is appropriate.
[-] The following 7 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Belschaft, Jebediah, Kris Kringle, Purple Hyacinth, Rebeltopia, The Haughtherlands