We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Prime Moonister

Prime Moonister

Hello once again TSP!

I’m Moon (better known as Emodea to some) and I’m here to ask you to elect me as your Prime Minister. I’m gunning for the position because I believe I possess the necessary skillset, motivation and time required to excel at the position and lead our beloved region as we continue to make our way through a world that’s changing in unpredictable ways as we speak.

While I’ll readily admit that I don’t have much experience in guiding any region as its executive leader, let alone a large feeder such as TSP, I’m not a total newcomer either. Ever since joining here in early 2021, I’ve served multiple times in the Cabinet in both internal and external-focused roles, with distinctions. My first foray into Cabinet affairs as the Minister of Media came when there were widespread cries for its dissolution as a separate ministry, and ended with many agreeing that Media had experienced “an unexpected renaissance” under my charge, with an unforeseen expansion of ministerial staff, efficient publication of monthly TSJ editions and other quality contents, and the proliferation of these contents to our friends abroad. I then stepped in as Minister of Defense in a by-election after Witchcraft and Sorcery’s resignation from the position. Under my leadership, the SPSF has blossomed into arguably the largest defender organization at this moment, with over 60 active members in service, multiple personnel records (including the largest turnout for a single update at 22 unique updaters for the liberation of China and the largest overall turnout for an operation at 45 updaters for the sieges of A Liberal Haven) set during, a considerable regular updater force that can be safely relied upon for any situation, extensive cooperation with both traditional and non-traditional partners on defensive operations and more. While I'm not the one to always toot my own horn, it wouldn't be an overreach to say that my tenure as MoD has been overwhelmingly successful. I was rewarded for my work with another four months at the office in the recent concluded Cabinet elections and am currently serving in that capacity. The point is despite my relative newness, I can get things done. My experience as MoM and MoD also gives me a rare perspective on what challenges a TSP Cabinet minister, whether they are focusing on interior or exterior matters, has to face to get their ideas implemented and helps me set a realistic Cabinet-wide agenda that we can all pursue without infringing much on the individual ministers and their own portfolios.

It has also helped to shape me up as a proactive and emphatic leader, someone who ministers can count upon as a shoulder to lean against when their workload is too much for them to handle. An ideal Prime Minister should be a jack of all trades, someone who's able to cover for their subordinates' weaknesses, help them accomplish their visions and facilitate cooperation between ministries on cross-departmental projects. I believe that my involvement in nearly all aspects of the region makes me the perfect candidate to do exactly that, especially barging into the role in the middle of an ongoing term like this.

With all of that being said, let’s get into the nitty-gritty of my campaign:

Integration, Integration & More Integration:
I wish to continue the focus on outreach to and integration of new players in the region, extending all the way to how each Ministry welcomes new members to its fold and helps them to get settled in. The Ministry of Engagement will continue to handle integration and retention for the entire region, with more of an emphasis on quality of engagement rather than quantity like we did before to adapt to the upcoming Frontiers/Strongholds system that will see our new nation spawn rate take a significant hit. I plan to immediately sit down with the new MoE and other domestic-focused Cabinet Ministers to discuss our options on the table and finalize the details about this, as well as implement the methods we’ve agreed upon as fast as possible.

Similarly as before, I want each Ministry to come up with a short welcome message and a list of prospective small projects that new members can tackle solo with little to no supervision from senior leadership. This will help them gain experience, get a headstart on developing their requisite skills and build up confidence for them to continue contributing in that specific Ministry, benefiting everyone involved.

And while this is still a vague concept roaming around my brain, I want to create an executive-sponsored regional mentorship program, similar to the Assembly Mentorship Program run by Phoenix of the Sun when they were Chair of the Assembly in the past. This is something that’ll require consultation of my fellow Cabinet members and others involved with the AMP and similar programs in other regions to determine its actual effectiveness, but I think it’s worth exploring due to it taking advantage of the inherent nature of how knowledge is passed down in a mentor-like fashion in this site, as well as to make the entire process a bit less intimidating for prospective contributors.

Expanding Our World Assembly Presence:
TSP is currently the third largest overall region and the largest defender region in the game in terms of WA votes we possess, with Delegate PenguinPies currently having 762 endorsements on her. As such, we hold a substantial amount of influence over the passage of WA proposals which, combined with our extensive network of allies that we can rely upon in times of need, is one of the biggest tools we possess in our foreign affairs portfolio.

However, I'd be remiss to say that we've used this power in a consistent fashion in the past. Our WA policy, particularly in the SC, has been haphazard at best due to the negligence of previous administrations and has attracted a great deal of criticism both at home and abroad. This needs to change. TSP needs to have an established set of core values and interests that we can rely upon to determine our voting stance on certain proposals, and to get our recommendation and vote out as soon as possible to ensure that the final result is favorable towards us. Cooperation with allies will be especially important for some proposals and I believe prior communication with them will go a long way in this regard.

The Office of World Assembly Legislation has managed to put itself back on its feet thanks to Director Blockbuster's efforts, and has now emerged with a reformed identity and structure. Steps must be taken to build a solid foundation upon this newfound success, with more emphasis placed upon facilitating enlightening discussions about upcoming WA proposals and their merits. There was also talks of an OWL-sponsored GA and SC writing guide during Director anjo's tenure, a thing I would like to see finally come to fruition. I'll sit down with Blockbuster to discuss and finalize the minutiae details of these, as well as get a rough sketch of their own vision for OWL and what it should be and how I can help them achieve this.

Admiral Delegate General Amerion hosted a monthly Endorsement Day competition during his term among all WA members of the region, with the goal being to cross-endorse as many fellow WA members as possible to get your own flag hoisted as the regional flag and your name prominently featured in the WFE. The event was a great success overall and Amerion reached well over 800 endorsements by the time he stepped down. I would like to revisit this idea and make it an executive-sponsored (or MoE-sponsored) thing, with the prize pool being expanded to rare cards, special badges and more.

Tying Up Loose Ends:
HumanSanity leaves behind a couple of FA projects unfinished, things that were stalled due to surrounding circumstances. I'll take an active role to finish those. Some of these projects are momentous in nature and can shake up the Gameplay scene we all know and hate, so it's likely that we might not be able to get it done before the end of this term, but I hope to make enough progress on these to make my prospective successor's job a bit easier.

I'll also continue reevaluating our current relationships and seek new friends in places considered to be non-traditional for a region such as ours, as to refine our foreign affairs portfolio to better represent our fundamental principles and concerns.

Transparency and Accountability:
As I’ve stated before, I’ve not been the most transparent Minister in the past. My overwhelming focus on getting things fixed up internally meant that I didn’t spend much time letting the community, the one that entrusted me with the position in the first place, know what exactly I was doing to improve the region. This led some Legislators to believe that the specific Ministries under my control weren't doing too hot and confronted all of us with several awkward situations that could’ve been easily avoided if I had just been forthcoming in the first place. That was a mistake, something I explicitly recognized in my recent MoD campaign and pledged to rectify going into the future.

And I pledge the same here. Moving forward, I plan to start monthly Cabinet updates instead of the fortnightly updates HumanSanity utilized during their tenure. My reasoning behind this is simple; two weeks is too short of a time to get almost any meaningful thing done by a Minister, especially the ones who're handling abstract portfolios like Culture and Foreign Affairs with no fixed metric to measure success. By setting it as a monthly thing, we can continue keeping the Assembly informed about progress on projects, keep these updates adequately spaced so as to not seem too in your face and give Ministers a bit more breathing room to work with and prepare more detailed updates.

In times of crises, I'll continue to gather information about the situation at hand and keep the Assembly regularly updated on any recent developments, including the decisions taken by the Cabinet in response. By constantly and concisely communicating to the Assembly and chronicling our reactions, we'll be able to make more informed and levelheaded decisions that'll ultimately benefit us in the long run, as well as help us defend those decisions to anyone that might want answers.

And that would be all! I’m open to answering any questions you might have about my campaign.

Conflict of Interest:
I'm currently the Minister of Defense and a Legislator in The South Pacific, as well as an Officer in the South Pacific Special Forces, a Senior Staffer in the Ministry of Media, a Junior Staffer in the Office of World Assembly Legislation, a Junior Staffer in the Ministry of Culture and the Ambassador to The West Pacific and 10000 Islands.

I'm also a Warden-Lieutenant in The Order of The Grey Wardens, a defender military-focused region and an embassy partner of TSP.

I'm also a Member State in Refugia, a medium-sized, internal-focused region that I joined in April 2021.

And finally, I’m a Citizen in Europeia, a large Gameplay-focused region and a consulate partner of TSP, for purely nostalgic reasons, as it was my first region when I initially discovered NS back in late 2017.

It goes without saying, but should my involvement in other regions create a conflict of interest during my tenure as Prime Minister, I’ll retract my participation from said regions to fully focus on my duties here.
[-] The following 6 users Like Moon's post:
  • Altrio, Cretox, philipmacaroni, Purple Hyacinth, Quebecshire, Wizard Ferret

Please state whether you're a pieletarian, a cakeist/cakeitalist, an ice creamist, or an independessertist.
[-] The following 1 user Likes philipmacaroni's post:
  • Cretox

(03-13-2022, 05:40 PM)philipmacaroni Wrote: Please state whether you're a pieletarian, a cakeist/cakeitalist, an ice creamist, or an independessertist.

I'm a proud cakeitalist Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Moon's post:
  • anjo, Cretox, The Haughtherlands