We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Lile Ulie Islands for Minister of Culture

The Lile Ulie Islands for Minister of Culture
for the people, by the people
real change
[Image: OUAmoEE.png]
a proven leader who will deliver results for the people

the agenda
creating a vibrant community where everyone is welcomed and included

This is an important part of my agenda. When I first joined this region, everyone was so welcoming and included me. That's why I stayed here. I want everyone to feel the way I felt when they join TSP. Anyone who wants to join TSP will be given the right to, and they will be part of such a vibrant community TSP is. No one should feel unwelcomed or unincluded, and I will make sure that never happens. Though, in the scenario where someone is constantly breaking the rules (this is in the hands of The Local Council), they have lost their chances, which gives them a bad reputation, here in the South. I understand this is a thing that the Ministry isn't really "revolved" around (it more suits MoE). But, if elected Minister, I will include those who want to work in the Ministry.

enhancing roleplay

As someone who does participate in roleplay, I must say, it is a fun part of the game. As Minister, I'd work with the community to enhance it, and also have more participation from nations who don't know about it. For instance, I'd work with MoE to advertise TSPedia, essentially the Wikipedia of TSP, and ensure that people have the opportunity to make articles there. I'd also have Roleplay Awards, where the Ministry would hold contests for "best roleplay," or "most intriguing roleplay." I will make sure that if the RP community needs something, the Ministry would assist on that front. I would also be in very close touch with the RP community during my term as Minister to enhance relations between the community and the government, and also take suggestions on how to make the Ministry better.

On the World Factbook Entry, I would push to advertise Pacifica, Aurora, and A1-0 forums, and also link an invite to the TSPRP discord server.

processing applications to join the ministry and regional surveys

As Minister, I'd try my best to react quickly to applications. Due to the fact that during rosaferri's term as Minister, they never approved any of the applications, I'd make sure to see if people are still wanting to join the Ministry. I would encourage people, from the regional discord server, RMB, and here on TSP Forums, to talk to us about how we could improve as a Ministry. This touches on the point of regional surveys. I'd conduct regional surveys to hear from the people, to see their input. I'd want to know: what we as a Ministry can do better, some overall suggestions, commentary, and a place to submit ideas. I would also create The Office of Public Engagement (OPE) (for the Ministry), which would generally oversee the surveys and hear the opinion from the public. OPE would have a Director, and would be the coordinator for the surveying. They, along with the help of myself and the Ministry staff will create updates, surveys, and idea submission dispatches. OPE's Director would be someone interested in surveying, and work with the Ministry staff to create the survey, and garner opinion from the public. OPE would also work to make the Ministry a more inclusive place, by working with the public, and amassing more interest in the Ministry, and its bureaus.

the great council

I understand that The Great Council (TGC) is an important body here in TSP. If elected, I will work with TGC about their proposals, and see what the Ministry staff thinks about them, and what the people think about them. I have participated in some of the arguments (though not all), especially the one about The Local Council, or renaming the Ministries. I want to hear people's opinions (not by vote, but by survey) on the resolutions, and what they can do better, or why they should be enacted into the law.

awards, competitions, and events

Look, I'm not the most competitive person out there. But hey, I still have slight-competitive type. As delegate anjo (Tepertopia) said, during their tenure they will create RMB Awards (as there are SWAN Awards). I will work with the Delegate and Local Council to create these awards. Topics may include funniest posts, or stuff like that. But is also for competitiveness. I will definitely be a vocal advocate for continuing SWAN Awards and would be open to be making more award competitions in the future.

Events are another important of the ministry. We'd have larger events like SWANVision (example), though we'd also have smaller events that aren't as big. The Ministry will plan the events. We would love to hear what the public has to say, and also giving suggestions of events.

working with the people and fellow members of the government

I'd say this is also pretty important. If elected, I'd work with not only my fellow Cabinet and government members, but also the people of The South Pacific. As a Legislator, it has been such a wonder to serve in the Government and vote and discuss on matters that concern TSP. If elected, I pledge to work with not only my fellow government members, but also the people. I would have traditional, standard bureaus and people who are interested in the Ministry could lead them.

Time after time in politics, people say stuff but never do things. By voting for The Lile Ulie Islands, I will be committed to doing, rather than talking. The Lile Ulie Islands are a proven leader who will fight for the community.

accessibility and updates

I will strive to make the Ministry a more accessible place, if elected Minister. If someone wants to help out and work with the Ministry, they should be ensured that. I hope to make MoC a more accessible ministry. I will also generally update TSP bi-weekly, with bi-weekly updates showing what MoC has done in the past two weeks.

local council reform

I am an avid poster on the RMB. I believe it is a place which makes this community so welcoming and vibrant. I also believe that The Local Council is an important factor to that. I am opposed to abolishing The Local Council; however, I do believe some serious reform of the council can happen. I'd work with the current and future LC's on bridging a good connection from the Ministry to the Council, and we would share ideas, and get input from each other on potential regional games/competitions. I would also love to hear what the people (who've not spoken yet) think about this large issue. I'd be open to having The Local Council be a bureau under the Ministry, though, keeping the council's same format. I believe The Local Council is a vital body here in The South Pacific, though needs some reform so it can succeed.

As previously brought up, I am running for the Minister of Culture, not a Local Councilor post, but I will strive to work with The Local Council, especially with event planning and event ideas.

​​​
who am i
IC: Aloha! I am the Lile Ulie Islands, a South Pacifican nation! I currently serve as a Legislator and Ambassador to Lazarus! I am a staffer in many different ministries, including OWL and MoE. You can see me, most of the time on the RMB, sometimes here on TSP Forums, and on our regional discord server! I love The South Pacific, and will fight for it if elected as Minister of Culture. 

OOC: I'm a student from Washington, DC! I love politics, soccer/football, and exploring culture.

conflicts of interest
As a current Legislator, OWL Staff member, MoE Staffer, and Ambassador to Lazarus, I am committed to serving the people of The South Pacific. 

I have many (maybe around 20) alts, that are currently active, that I know of. There is only one, Lanai, which is in The South Pacific. All of the other ones are either not in TSP or in a region TSP has an embassy with. Lanai is not involved in TSPolitics. They are mostly stored in either Port Elizabeth, The States of Democratic Progress, and ProChoice. Many of my alts I have lost track of and have CTE'd.

I ran for Minister of Engagement in June 2022, though lost, respectively, to Griffindor.

any questions?

Preferably, ask them here. If not, DM me on Discord, RMB ping me, PM me here, or Telegram to Lile Ulie Islands on NS!
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

[-] The following 2 users Like maluhia's post:
  • Cloud, Murelia

Regarding your priorities — how do you plan to accomplish them? What personal working style do you anticipate having if elected as Minister, and how would you translate that into working with other members of the Ministry to accomplish your priorities?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pronoun's post:
  • maluhia

(07-30-2022, 12:31 PM)Pronoun Wrote: Regarding your priorities — how do you plan to accomplish them? What personal working style do you anticipate having if elected as Minister, and how would you translate that into working with other members of the Ministry to accomplish your priorities?

I've started to really change my OP. I'm not done, but there might be some answers to your questions there.

I will have traditional and standard bureaus, and will have bureau chiefs to run them. The bureau chiefs will be those interested in the Ministry and are looking at potentially running the Ministry one day. I will work with them closely, on each of their individual subjects.
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: No one should feel unwelcomed or unincluded, and I will make sure that never happens.

There should not be any discrimination based on (list of personal attributes, e.g. sexuality), I agree with this implication. At the same time, I don't think this particular aspect is the issue for why TSP some times might come off as unwelcoming.
Given the recent series of events, it would be logical to assume that I would support this as it is in my current interest. However, I strongly oppose the implications this particular plan suggests. People who have made repeated mistakes and have displayed repeated misbehavior deserve to be sanctioned/unincluded for their own good. (Soft) punitive measures encourage an initiative of a self-rehabilitative process.

(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I would also encourage RPers to join in the Ministry so we can have a grassroots approach to enhancing the community.

My issue here is ''encouraging (...) to join the Government'' It is in my belief that RP community shouldn't be encouraged to join MoC, rather that MoC should maintain active communication with the RP community. Actively encouraging RPers to join the the Political Game is a bit disrespectful, as most have made a choice of which game they enjoy playing. I could also foresee a possible issue of corruption in having certain TSRPers encouraged to join TSPolitics.

(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I would also create The Office of Public Engagement (for the Ministry), which would generally oversee the surveys and hear the opinion from the public.

Completely support this idea. However, I think such an Office should conduct the program on NS, Discord and the Forums.

(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I'd work with the current and future LC's on bridging a good connection from the Ministry to the Council

There are a few options here. Do you think that the LC's should be more intertwined with the MoC, The Delegate or both? If the answer is yes to (any form) of the previous question, to which body should the LC be accountable to the most? Lastly, if the LC were to be abolished, are you prepared to take on their responsibilities of encouraging game-side activity?
[-] The following 1 user Likes A bee's post:
  • maluhia

(07-31-2022, 04:54 PM)A bee Wrote: There are a few options here. Do you think that the LC's should be more intertwined with the MoC, The Delegate or both? If the answer is yes to (any form) of the previous question, to which body should the LC be accountable to the most? Lastly, if the LC were to be abolished, are you prepared to take on their responsibilities of encouraging game-side activity?

The questions are answered kind of out of order.

The Local Council is very important to me. I do indeed post a lot on the RMB and love our LC's and appreciate the patriotic jobs they do for our region. I support LC reform, which includes bringing the LC to the MoC as a bureau under it. The LC would still have three councilors, and as many DC's as they want. I do not support abolishing the council. If elected minister, I'd work closely with anjo about the LC. I would like to hear their opinion on Delegate-LC issues. If the LC is abolished, which hopefully will not happen, though, I would be a loud advocate for encouraging gameside activity. The Local Council can be a very successful body; we're just missing out on the opportunities.
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

Although I find it very weird that most of your ideas are almost exactly the same as my campaign plans, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that this is just an extreme coincidence. Ignoring that, I like a lot of your ideas. I do have​​​​​​​ some questions:
(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: This is an important part of my agenda. When I first joined this region, everyone was so welcoming and included me. That's why I stayed here. I want everyone to feel the way I felt when they join TSP. Anyone who wants to join TSP will be given the right to, and they will be part of such a vibrant community TSP is. No one should feel unwelcomed or unincluded, and I will make sure that never happens. 
Of course this is important, though it is hard for a ministry to do this. I remember your nice initiative of greeting people to the region. Will you try to make something like that one of the ministry's responsibilities? And if so, how will you reach that goal?
(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I would also create The Office of Public Engagement (for the Ministry), which would generally oversee the surveys and hear the opinion from the public.
This seems like quite a large plan but you only talk about it in this sentence. Giving some people in MoC this responsibility is a good idea, though who exactly are the people that would be in this office?
(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I would have traditional, standard bureaus and people who are interested in the Ministry could lead them.
I would also like more information about this. What is the function of these bureaus? Also, we had something similar to this in OWL. We tried making two bureaus to divide the responsibilities of OWL but barely anyone was interested in it and it didn't help inactivity in OWL. How will you make sure that something like that doesn't happen?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Murelia's post:
  • maluhia

(08-01-2022, 10:43 AM)Murelia Wrote: Although I find it very weird that most of your ideas are almost exactly the same as my campaign plans, I will give you the benefit of the doubt that this is just an extreme coincidence. Ignoring that, I like a lot of your ideas. I do have some questions:
Quote: 
I guess some people just think alike! Though, seriously, I do believe that we have the same vision for the Ministry, a good vision, that will enhance the Ministry and TSP. Kudos to you for running a great campaign.
(08-01-2022, 10:43 AM)Murelia Wrote: Of course this is important, though it is hard for a ministry to do this. I remember your nice initiative of greeting people to the region. Will you try to make something like that one of the ministry's responsibilities? And if so, how will you reach that goal?
Quote: 

Yes, this is more of a responsibility of the Ministry of Engagement. But I will work with MoE on greeting people to the region, and show them a few things around (especially the application to join the government). With the correct knowledge about the way government works, someone, a new nation, could join MoC and become a great staffer.
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

[-] The following 1 user Likes maluhia's post:
  • Murelia

To be honest, I'm a bit confused by the discussion around the LC here. This is a campaign for... Minister of Culture... not Local Councilor? I'm not saying those two entities can't work together, but there's a difference between specific plans on how to work together with the LC and general statements or questions about LC reform, abolition, or neither. Those can go (and are already going!) in the Great Council debate.

I actually really don't get all the references to the Great Council in campaign threads more generally. There's going to be new elections when the Great Council ends anyway. In the meantime, our ministries can continue to operate. We don't need to duplicate our democratic processes, but only with the particular subset of South Pacificans within each ministry — if they want to work together on drafting a proposal to present, that's one thing, but it hardly falls under "supporting the roleplay community and organizing regional cultural activities, events, and exchanges" (nor the areas of responsibility for any other cabinet minister).

/rant. I'll stress this isn't personally directed at your campaign, my thoughts just kind of came out as I was writing this Tounge

(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I would also create The Office of Public Engagement (OPE) (for the Ministry), which would generally oversee the surveys and hear the opinion from the public. OPE would have a Director, and would be the coordinator for the surveying.
What function do you envision for an office and a director specifically, as opposed to, like, asking those interested to make surveys and letting the public reach out to you with their opinions, or voice them in the Assembly, etc.?
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
  • Moon

(08-03-2022, 12:38 AM)Pronoun Wrote: /rant. I'll stress this isn't personally directed at your campaign, my thoughts just kind of came out as I was writing this Tounge

Not at all! And, if you think it was a rant, it wasn't (in my perspective). I understand how sometimes one's thoughts can just fall out when writing!

(07-30-2022, 10:58 AM)The Lile Ulie Islands Wrote: I would also create The Office of Public Engagement (OPE) (for the Ministry), which would generally oversee the surveys and hear the opinion from the public. OPE would have a Director, and would be the coordinator for the surveying.
What function do you envision for an office and a director specifically, as opposed to, like, asking those interested to make surveys and letting the public reach out to you with their opinions, or voice them in the Assembly, etc.?

I appreciate this question. The Director would be someone interested surveying the public. The surveys will garner public opinion. Does that kind of answer your question? Maybe it's a bit too vague...
maluhia
minister of culture
ambassador to lazarus
roleplayer

I understand why you might want to conduct surveys, but I'm not sure I understand why you believe the best way to conduct surveys and hear public input is with an Office with its own Director and staff. It seems a bit like unnecessary bureaucratic overhead, especially when you're already putting such an emphasis in your campaign about how you'll personally try to engage with new South Pacificans and make the ministry more inclusive.

• maluhia