We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Clarification request

I'll start by saying this isn't a huge deal for me or that I plan on running or even voting in the next election, but it was enough for me to look at the laws a few times and wonder if I was missing something. Since I probably am, I figured I'd address the floor and see if someone could clarify the laws for me.

According to this post, applications filed after Dali's application were suspended due to upcoming elections. Looking at the Charter, it reads:

Section 2 Wrote:4. Citizenship applications submitted during election periods will not be processed. In the event that a citizenship application has been submitted prior to the election but not yet processed, the current Vice Delegate may process the application during the election period.
[url]

Which makes sense - no apps are processed during elections, and any applications that were not processed but were still filed before elections are allowed to be so if the VD wants. I filed my app on the 6th. But according to the Election Act, cabinet elections don't happen until the 15th of March. So I should be still good to go, right? Or is there a law I missed somewhere? I've been scanning the active laws in The MATT-DUCK Law Archive, but haven't really found anything that would pertain to this.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help point me in the right direction.
[/url]

According to the Charter, there are no legal grounds for this delay, nor any precedent to back it. I can offer no justification for these actions.

Thank you for the answer, Far. I really appreciate it.

What happens now? Or, should I do something?

PM the Vice Delegate for clarification?

Wait until after the election?

Perhaps you're a security threat that needs to be investigated thoroughly?

As a mere citizen, I have no clue whatsoever, these are just my liberal thoughts.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Even if its the last one, the hold is on all applications, not just Todd's.

Generally, it used to be two weeks before the election applications were on hold. When I was VD that was the precedent. How long has it been right now?

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Todd would have applied 9 days before elections.

Oh so two weeks was the norm when I was Delegate and then Vice Delegate. Probably we should codify the norm through an amendment?

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Some of these discussions are so deja vu to discussions we had on the old forums.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(03-10-2015, 09:28 PM)Escade Wrote: Oh so two weeks was the norm when I was Delegate and then Vice Delegate. Probably we should codify the norm through an amendment?

That would make since, unless someone else has a different insight on the situation.