We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

JOLLY COOPERATION - Wolf for MoFA

Wolf for Minister of Foreign Affairs!

Pictured: What JOLLY COOPERATION might look like.

Hello everyone! I'm somewhat new here, so I will re-introduce myself. I am Wolf, old time raider, long time player, and all around trickster. I've decided to run as Minister of Foreign Affairs and have started this thread to let the voters know a little bit about me and what my plans are for the office. So, without any more stalling or fulfilling the compulsory need to include an introduction in any body of work I do (thanks education system!) I'll get right into the meat of it.

THE MAN

I started off in NationStates on 26 Apr 2005, which incidentally was day of the The Great Disk Space Disaster of 2005. I quickly joined a new and fledgling Crasher region known as The Lone Wolves United at the invitation of it's founder, Scardino. My long and storied raider career took off from there.

I first became interested in Feeder affairs in 2005-2006 during the Stars of Sky rebellion in The North Pacific against Pixiedance, the legally elected delegate who had voided the Constitution and essentially declare a dictatorship. Lone Wolves United supported Stars of Sky in the war, but not long after her victory we discovered that meant very little to The North Pacific. Both Scardino and I both were illegal denied citizenship and voting rights by the staunchly anti-raider government, who cited, amongst other things, that our raider history made us a security threat to the region, despite the manpower we had lent to re-establish the very government who was now condemning us.

Eventually we got in monthly later, when elections ushered in a more sympathetic government. That was in 2006, and I've been a citizen there ever since. I have served as The North Pacific Delegate three times, once elected, twice acting, restarted the North Pacific Army, and been in various other judicial and ministry positions, including the now defunct Diplomatic Corp. My policies in The North Pacific have always been somewhat controversial, but usually successful and with long lasting effects. I have been in other feeders and sinkers, but will not bore you with the details of my every exploit.

THE MISSION

When I look at The South Pacific, I see a lot of room for diplomatic growth. We have a lot untapped regions we can easily negotiate with, both culturally and militarily.

I was King (Delegate) of Lazarus three times in the years before the region had been given the power of the ban button. There was a period of time during my last rule where the region saw four invasions by outside powers, one of which was partly successful. I understand very intimately the need for strong alliances, mutual agreements, non-aggression pacts, and even negotiations with the enemy when all else fails. Part of success is planning ahead, so when the shit hits the fan, you're ready.

Following that line of logic, I'd like to start reaching out to several regions who would be likely actors, on both sides of the fence, in a generic feeder coup or invasion attempt. There is a lesson I learned when I was Vice Delegate during the 2010 Durkadurkiranistan II invasion: Always have things in writing, never assume your friends will just show up when needed. During that incident, I called upon 10000 Islands, who had a long standing, but informal, relationship with The North Pacific for help and was very displeased when we were rebuffed. "10000 Islands does not get involved in internal feeder matters, and we consider this to be an internal feeder matter", the told me. Clearly they were not going to help, and clearly they had no reason to, our regions were just long time friends, not allied military partners under a contract for mutual defense. The assumption that our Defender friends from XKI would help us during in an invasion just because they were Defenders turned out to be false.

Another lesson learned in that invasion? Depriving the enemy of resources. Durka II had turned to Gatesville for help, being that they are a regular supporter of feeder and sinker coups, but before he did I had already approached them about staying out of this fight and as a result they refused to help Durka. Had they come in, the conflict would have lasted weeks, maybe even months longer than the 17 days it took to unseat Durka II.

So following that line of logic, there are several regions I would like to approach with different formal agreements. I'd like to approach mostly Defender groups with mutual defense pacts, to ensure that they will come to our aid during a crisis, and I'd like to speak with Imperialist and Raider groups about signing non-aggression pacts, to deprive would be over-throwers of manpower and support. From these simple agreements, we can fashion out more complex alliances, should the time come. I believe that aggressive pursuit of these simple contracts, with minimum risk or effort, will help us out immeasurable should The South Pacific come under duress and render the region more "coup-proof". Frankly, I am surprised we haven't taken this approach already.

So that is the basics of it, I now open up this thread to questions.

You have been a Citizen of the South Pacific for less than a month. What makes you qualified to understand and work within the regional culture? Why not establish a record and proving yourself before aspiring for a senior position?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(03-17-2015, 11:11 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: You have been a Citizen of the South Pacific for less than a month. What makes you qualified to understand and work within the regional culture?

While it is true that I am new citizen, the region has really grown on me and I've taken a liking to it. Keep in mind too, this is not the first time I have interacted with The South Pacific, just the first time as a Citizen. LWU and TSP had relations, and even a treaty, long before now, and I won't say I'm a complete foreigner to the culture of The South Pacific.

(03-17-2015, 11:11 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Why not establish a record and proving yourself before aspiring for a senior position?

I find that jumping right in can often be the best way to tackle a problem, especially when you have experience, as I do.

What can you do against the inactivity in our embassies in other regions?(Seriously, they have been inactive for at least 4 months!)
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(03-17-2015, 12:09 PM)Ryccia Wrote: What can you do against the inactivity in our embassies in other regions?(Seriously, they have been inactive for at least 4 months!)

We deliberately discontinued the practice of maintaining our embassies months ago.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(03-17-2015, 12:11 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
(03-17-2015, 12:09 PM)Ryccia Wrote: What can you do against the inactivity in our embassies in other regions?(Seriously, they have been inactive for at least 4 months!)

We deliberately discontinued the practice of maintaining our embassies months ago.
Why, exactly?
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

Because it is too cumbersome to maintain an active foreign service and produce monthly updates, and not worth the effort when the Foreign Minister could focus on actual diplomatic contact and business.

With that, I still stop hijacking this thread and give it back to Wolf. Feel free to TG me for any other non-campaign questions.

Legal Resources:

I would obviously like to restart activity. The embassies are there for a reason, not just to look good. They exist for the purposes of formal negotiations, regional cooperation, and information propagation. Having an embassy and not updating it is a loss of potential. They also exist as a portal through which our allies can funnel questions and requests.

Obviously, the reports need to be of a meaningful nature, otherwise no one will care to read them. However, with all the writers in TSP, there shouldn't be any issues finding people to assist writing one update a month for all embassies. That at least show our allies that we are alive and active.

It might be prudent to ask for volunteers to assist in this task.

1. How many times have you used embassy subforums to conduct formal negotiations?

2. Do you really think getting people to resume writing monthly updates is a good allocation of resources? Would it not be more efficient and effective to spend MoFA resources on military and cultural cooperation, which have a more tangible effect in terms of forging alliances, than simply posting the same thread in different forums?

Legal Resources:

(03-17-2015, 01:01 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: 1. How many times have you used embassy subforums to conduct formal negotiations?

The most recent I can think of would be the LWU negotiations with the PRL Government currently in control of Lazarus. Was a masked and passworded subforum, mind you, but still a subforum.

(03-17-2015, 01:01 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: 2. Do you really think getting people to resume writing monthly updates is a good allocation of resources? Would it not be more efficient and effective to spend MoFA resources on military and cultural cooperation, which have a more tangible effect in terms of forging alliances, than simply posting the same thread in different forums?

I don't think it is unreasonable to be able to do both.

Obviously embassy reports are not going to take priority over forming treaties, but I see very little reason why the Ministry of Foreign Affairs can't handle both. Writing a brief summary of the region's activities over a month takes, what? 20 minutes on your own?

Put together a part-time team and we might even have some good embassy reports that are worthwhile reading and have meaningful value.