We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Second Round of Negotiations on an IARNPT

The second round of talks is dedicated towards arms reduction.

(Discussion on nuclear non-proliferation will stay on the first round thread.)
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

We will not reduce our arms. Once we reach a cap, we will stop, but we will not begin reduction now.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Darkstrait, if I may ask, why do you want to stock up on arms?

My History

It has already been proven that the government of Ryccia is rather unstable. During the Sporaltryan War, they used nuclear missiles against us. We were not able to respond in kind, and, as such, have done our best to prepare for another such attack, by Ryccia or by any other nation.

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

The government of Ryccia is a dictatorship, they are naturally warlike in order to protect their power.

Jasper Henn

We still feel that it is necessary to have a small to mid-sized nuclear arsenal to protect against such an unstable state.

How about this, instead of a cap on arms, how about we set a quota on how much arms are produced each month?

My History

The limit must be places very low.

Jasper Henn

The government of Scienta is very wary of any limitation or cap on conventional arms, with the exception of imposing it on states that have shown a history of belligerence. Since it may be difficult to enforce such a treaty on such nations, or for that matter get them to sign in the first place, we also would like to explore the idea of a limitation, or even outright ban, of trading weapons and weapon related technology with belligerent nations.

As for defining which nations are belligerent, that could be determined by a 3/4 majority vote.

One item Scienta would like to push to be included, is a complete ban on the stockpiling and use of chemical and biological weapons, and that any nation under this treaty that currently possess them must destroy any stocks they have. To be clear however, this would not ban the study of these weapons as this would limit the development of defences against such weapons.

Or we can define belligerent nations as nations that are engaged in a war or conflict.

My History