We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Should the Great Council adopt this resolution of procedures?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Aye
71.43%
5 71.43%
Nay
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Adoption of Procedures

The following procedure resolution is up for vote. Voting ends at 3:00pm EDT on Monday, October 12.

Quote:Procedures of the Second Great Council of 2015

Chair of the Great Council
1. Farengeto will serve as the Chair of the Great Council.

Debate
2. Following passage of this resolution, a two-week period will be allotted for submission of proposals.
3. Following that two-week period, there will be a three day period of dedicated debate, where no new proposals may be submitted.

Voting
4. Voting on proposals will occur at the same time, following the submission and debate days.
5. Voting times will be 5 days for constitutional laws and 3 days for regular laws, as dictated by the existing Charter.

Passage of Resolution
6. This resolution requires a simple majority to take effect, and will be up for vote for 3 day.

-----------

As set forth in the Great Council Organizing Act, we must first adopt a timeline, procedures, and name a chair. We must also decide whether we will vote on all proposals at once at the end, or on a rolling basis as they are motioned for vote.

I propose a two-week period for submission and debate of proposals, followed by the traditional five day voting period. We'll vote on all proposals at once, rather than on a rolling basis.

I nominate myself as Chair for obvious reasons.

(10-06-2015, 02:21 PM)Farengeto Wrote: I nominate myself as Chair for obvious reasons.

Second.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(10-06-2015, 02:09 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: As set forth in the Great Council Organizing Act, we must first adopt a timeline, procedures, and name a chair. We must also decide whether we will vote on all proposals at once at the end, or on a rolling basis as they are motioned for vote.

I agree with a two week submission period. I would like to see a 3-5 day period before the normal 5 day vote takes place though.

And I'll third Farengeto as Chair.

What would the 3-5 day period be for, specifically?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(10-06-2015, 06:21 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: What would the 3-5 day period be for, specifically?

I assume he means two weeks new topics can be submitted and discussed freely, but during the final 3-5 days we lock new topic and allow the final debate and drafting. After this point we have a mass voting.

Not sure how well the 3-5 days will work in practice but I like the rough idea. Though I'd suggest we don't make the two week date absolute, perhaps have it so that after a specific period the Chair (or someone else) may declare an end of submissions (with three day warning).

The timeline isn't set in stone. It can be altered if 3 people motion a new one.

I'll write up a formal res when I get home tonight.

Quote:Procedures

Debate
2. Following passage of this resolution, a two-week period will be allotted for submission of proposals.
3. Following that two-week period, there will be a three day period of dedicated debate, where no new proposals may be submitted.

Voting
4. Voting on proposals will occur at the same time, for a five day period following the submission and debate days.

Passage of Resolution
5. This resolution requires a simple majority to take effect, and will be up for vote for ______ day(s).
I don't really think our traditional 3 days is necessary. I want to put it at 1 day, 2 at most. Thoughts?

(10-07-2015, 01:52 PM)sandaoguo Wrote:
Quote:Procedures

Debate

Voting
4. Voting on proposals will occur at the same time, for a five day period following the submission and debate days.

Passage of Resolution
5. This resolution requires a simple majority to take effect, and will be up for vote for ______ day(s).
I don't really think our traditional 3 days is necessary. I want to put it at 1 day, 2 at most. Thoughts?
At least three days. I'd say up to 5 days even. A day is nowhere near enough time. There's no point in rushing so I say leave it at at least three days for what will probably be such significant amendments.