We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Awe for Chair of the Assembly

Hi TSP, 

Awe here, (finally) running for Chair of the Assembly. Since it's the Lunar New Year, I suppose it'd be appropriate for me to start off by wishing everyone 新年快乐,万事如意。(Happy New Year, may all be well)

Having served under two Chairs of the Assembly as Deputy, I decided to make a run as Chair this time around, given that RL is no longer in the way.

Personally, I think the biggest issue facing the region, and the Assembly at this point in time, is constitutional reform. I'm glad that preliminary discussions on reform have begun in the Assembly, and if elected as Chair, I'll fully support efforts by members of the community, contributing to reform of the Charter and other laws.

Aside from supporting reform, I'll also work in consultation with members of the Cabinet, in order to allow the affairs of the Cabinet to be more consultative and transparent. An idea I have mooted before is that of Questions to Cabinet Ministers, similar to Question Time in Westminster parliamentary systems, where members can post questions to relevant Cabinet Ministers.

The position of the Chair of the Assembly, in my opinion, is one that should be impartial and fair. For this reason, I would support any legislation introduced to rescind the Chair's Senior Cabinet status, as has been introduced before, since I do not believe that the Chair plays an essential role in the running of government/Cabinet as is, being more accountable to the Assembly and the members of the South Pacific community in general.

In addition, I have also refrained from voting after being elected as Deputy Chair, in order to maintain impartially, unless my vote makes a difference in the outcome, which is similar in function to the casting votes of Speakers of real-world legislatures. I will continue this practice if elected as Chair. Alongside what I've mentioned above, I'd also like to see the Assembly adopt a set of protocol governing Assembly procedures, especially ones that are not stated explicitly in legislation or at the discretion of the Chair, so as to prevent ambiguity when the Chair is exercising his duties. (So I don't have to make posts like these)

Thank you for taking the time to read my campaign. Feel free to ask any questions.

Do you have an idea for the Chair you would want as Chair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

I think you would be great Chair Awe. I also support regular questions to members of the Cabinet. One question.

Sam had a plan to help new members get involved in the Assembly, would you continue his idea of creating a Assembly FP?
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

(02-12-2016, 08:48 AM)Punchwood Wrote: I think you would be great Chair Awe. I also support regular questions to members of the Cabinet. One question.

Sam had a plan to help new members get involved in the Assembly, would you continue his idea of creating a Assembly FP?

A Fellowship Programme sounds like a good idea in theory, but I'm not quite sure if it'd be effective in practice.

I am more inclined to go with an Introductory Guide to the Assembly, and keeping my office open for new members who have questions, or have written legislation that they want me to peruse.

(02-12-2016, 07:54 AM)Cathalea Wrote: Do you have an idea for the Chair you would want as Chair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I'm currently sitting on, I suppose

[Image: img_4720_ed.jpg]

Why did you not speak up against the recent Cabinet Coup?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Who are you considering to be deputy chair?
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(02-12-2016, 10:41 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Why did you not speak up against the recent Cabinet Coup?

I was away when it happened. When it did (I only realised the next morning), I figured that I ought to just continue performing my duties as Deputy Chair and avoid causing any controversy. There's a Chinese saying '敬忠职守', which means to be steadfast in duty, and that's a philosophy that I've maintained both as Justice and as Deputy Chair, which applies to this situation as well.

(02-12-2016, 11:06 AM)Omega Wrote: Who are you considering to be deputy chair?

I don't have anyone in mind at this time, so I'll just say that I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Was it not your duty to help restore legitimate governance to the region?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(02-12-2016, 12:20 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Was it not your duty to help restore legitimate governance to the region?

[Image: lky-quote.jpg]

Just to add on, on reflection, I had realised that the actions of the outgoing Cabinet were perhaps legally dubious or otherwise wrong. At this point in time, I'd like to state that while I disagree with the actions of the outgoing Cabinet, I will not take to explicitly denouncing the Cabinet or any of its members. My silence on this issue, I believe, is testament to my beliefs.