We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Pirates of the South Caribbean (OOC, Signups)

(IC Thread: http://thesouthpacific.x10.mx/showthread.php?tid=390 )

Rules:
No controlling characters other then your own

Describe how you preform an important action if it affects another character directly. If I was stabbing a melon I would say "Captain Vaer swipes at the melon" instead of "Captain Vaer stabs the melon".

No OOC posts in the IC thread, that is what this thread is for.

Remember, this RP is with past technology. No laser swords or plasma cannons. And definitely no flying ships! Tounge

That's pretty much all there is. Have fun, drink some rum, and remember to be piratey!

How far past does the technology need to be, is steam power acceptable, or is this firmly in the age of Wooden Ships and Iron Men.
"Liberty is the Gate and the Key to Prosperity"
My threads:
Philosophers Corner
The Ice-creamist Movement for Peaceful Unification of Desserts

I know it's not my RP, but the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies take place sometime between 1720 and 1750. Steam pumps and engine were invented in the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Our setting is the mid 1700s. The first steam engine was eary 1700s, but it wasn't very practical. Things really didn't start to take off until in the middle of the century, and even things steam propulsion and iron plating were the early- to mid-1800s at best.

You'll mostly be using an average size ship like the Indiaman (of which the Black Pearl was a modified type) or other ships of similar size with a couple dozen guns. In rare cases you might have a ship with a few dozen guns from a navy mutiny or a really successful raid, but those would be rare especially with the maintenance cost required for large ships.

Admiral Tekar's flagship is a 104-gun first rate ship of the line, something extremely rare and expensive. These were the largest ships of the time, and they were rarely put on duty except during war. It'll seem a bit OP (but yes there was one in PotC) but it's a privilege of main antagonists. Tounge

Since this is sign-ups, I'm interested.

Thank you both for the clarification, I didn't see anything official about the setting so I was curious.
"Liberty is the Gate and the Key to Prosperity"
My threads:
Philosophers Corner
The Ice-creamist Movement for Peaceful Unification of Desserts

Can I intro myself in or do you want some specifics here first?
GG Sigillite
Stuff in Other Places

I sign up!
Brother Unclepear
Dear Leader of the Voodoo People's Republic of Bruuma

Representing also

El Pollo Diablo
Boss Maximo of the Estado Libre Asociado of Puerto Pollo

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairman Lo Pol
Core Leader of the People's Republic of Kai Fa

(05-09-2014, 03:17 AM)wetwork Wrote: Can I intro myself in or do you want some specifics here first?

You can intro yourself in.

Done. And thanks btw, I now know more about the Royal Navy and ship standards than I ever cared to Tounge
GG Sigillite
Stuff in Other Places