We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Replacing a Vice Delegate

We have a constitutional predicament on our hands. There are no procedures for electing a Vice Delegate separately from a Delegate. The Code of Laws requires that both run as a single ticket. That creates a problem for holding a Special Election for the vacant Vice Delegate position, as Kris has not resigned and cannot be compelled to run in another election with a new Vice Delegate.

The High Court will soon deliver a ruling about how we can go forward. However, this is an oversight that the Assembly should fix. How should we fix it?

My position is that a Vice Delegate should be of one mind with his or her Delegate. I believe that is the reason why we elect both on a single ticket. We do not want a situation where a Vice Delegate is an opponent of the Delegate, because that will destabilize the Cabinet. As such, I believe the Assembly should allow the Delegate to appoint his or her Vice Delegate, rather than hold a Special Election. Doing the latter will introduce the possibility of an opponent becoming the Vice Delegate.

In the US, when the Vice Presidency dies or resigns, the President appoints a new one. The appointed Vice President is confirmed by a majority vote in the House and Senate. I wouldn't be opposed to holding a vote in the Assembly to confirm a new Vice Delegate, as long as the Delegate gets to choose his or her potential second-in-command.

What do you guys think?

I think that the method you have suggested would work best.

I'm all for this.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Agreed, excellent idea!
~Lady Elaine Elysium

Elysian Pastures

All for this,

I support this.

Can we try drafting something to put this in writing in case of future problems?

Sounds good.

I think that's the best way to do it.
United States of Kalukmangala

Former High Court Justice

Anyone any good at drafting? I've never done it. I can make an attempt tomorrow, but my sleepy brain is in no position to do it tonight.
~Lady Elaine Elysium

Elysian Pastures

If I get 'round to it tonight, I can do it, if no one beats me to it, that is.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific