We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[World Forum] Getting This Thing Started

Jean Pierre IV, having just arrived in Grovne, knew the World Forum had work to start on. He got into the Assembly chamber, found his seat, gathered his things and stood up and started speaking into his microphone. No one was in the chamber other than him but the lights were on and he could turn on his mic. So he did and he started speaking.

"Fellow members, it is a pleasure to finally be here with all of you in Grovne. It has come to the attention of the Federation that this honorable assembly has much to do in order for this forum to finally be able to operate. Having looked through the charter I have taken it upon myself to compile a list of things to get done.
1. Establish officers for the Assembly
2. Decide the rules of Committee membership as well as what officers each committee will have.
3. Appoint Justices after having decided how many there will be."

By this point, some delegates had begun to come into the Assembly chamber as Pierre began the second part of his remarks

"Now, of course, these are 3 things that sound simple but these decisions will shape the way this Assembly will operate for the coming months and years. Fellow members while these may seem like arbitrary decisions, I would urge us to all take our time and do these initial process the right way and not just the quick way. I yield the floor so we may begin getting to work."
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Marcus Bailey, the Valkyrian Ambassador to the World Forum, was tasked to build the institution that Chancellor Margaret Harrison considered to be her greatest foreign policy achievement. Heading into his job as ambassador, Bailey had twelve years of experience working for the Winstonian and now-Valkyrian Department of Foreign Affairs.

"I agree with Mr. Pierre, but I also believe that establishing advisory councils are crucial to forming international policy. The United Kingdom of Valkyria proposes the formation of an Executive Council that shall consist of the heads of government of member states of the World Forum. It is important that the heads of government can find a body where they can directly speak to each other. We also propose subordinate councils for cabinet secretaries and ministers. For example, there could be an Education Council between cabinet secretaries and ministers whose responsibility is in the field of education. We propose an amendment to the Charter of the World Forum that will create these councils and make them permanent.

Some of you may be wondering why councils should be created if we already have committees. To that, I say that these committees are not forums for heads of government and cabinet secretaries and ministers, but for other representatives. With committees, we create as few as possible to cover a broad range. However, councils are formed by the respective cabinet secretaries and ministers, allowing a broad range of issues to be divided up more so than with committees. These councils will not have the same powers as committees, but will allow for direct communication between our heads of government and cabinet secretaries and ministers. We have five committees that cover a broad range, but the Valkyrian government has eighteen cabinet secretaries covering the same range and it would be useful if, for example, our energy secretaries could find a place to easily meet with one another, which would be here in Grovne.

Now, on to the issues that Mr. Pierre brought up. Article II, Section A of the Charter permits the Assembly to appoint officers by a simple majority vote. The United Kingdom of Valkyria proposes that the Assembly appoints a Secretary-General and a Deputy Secretary-General. Article II, Section B of the Charter permits the Assembly to determine the rules of committee membership and what officers we have. The United Kingdom of Valkyria proposes a Chair and Vice Chair for each committee. Article II, Section C of the Charter permits the Assembly to appoint Justices, the number of Justices, and the length of a Justice's term. The United Kingdom of Valkyria proposes there be five Justices who are appointed to serve a term of six months."

Ambassador Bailey submitted a proposal to amend the Charter of the World Forum. Copies of the proposed amendment were provided to each representative:

Proposed amendment to Article II of the Charter of the World Forum:

Section D — The Councils
  1. There shall be an Executive Council that shall consist of the heads of government of member states of the World Forum.
  2. By a simple majority vote in the Executive Council, subordinate councils may be formed, merged, separated, or dissolved.
  3. The officers of each council shall be decided by a simple majority vote in the respective councils.
  4. Observers may speak at council meetings, but shall not have a vote.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

" Well thank you for all of those ideas Ambassador Bailey! We would like to understand a bit more about what you think the role of the Secretary General would be."
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Ambassador Bailey responded,

"The role of the Secretary General of the World Forum shall be to serve as the voice of the World Forum. The person who holds this position, when called upon, shall serve as a moderator for international disputes. The Secretary General shall oversee all meetings of the Assembly. The Secretary General shall lead the World Forum without fear or favor of certain states or non-state actors. The Secretary General shall be an activist, an administrator, a diplomat, and a servant of all people. This is what Chancellor Harrison and I envision."
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Christian Stunk pipes up too:

"I support Ambassador Bailey's ideas to have councils consisting of government officials next to commitees consisting of ambassadors of member nations - as far as I would understand the charter and the proposal. As for the justices we would say that a term should last at least one year - you have to consider that it needs a bit of time to learn the ropes. Other than that we'd be content with five justices for now, because we are, after every nation has ratified the charter, at least eleven nations in the WF. The moment we've got five justices and seven officers - for each committee one - we can, in theory, distribute fairly those twelve positions to the eleven member states of the WF. I know that, especially when we have more member nations, we can't keep up this policy of fair distribution of positions, but as long as we can do that, I appeal to keep that in mind."
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)

"Fellow ambassadors as we are seeing new nations arrive on the global scene I would like to further encourage this assembly to complete these important final steps in getting this assembly up and running so that these new nations may join. Fellow ambassadors, we can do this!"
Has Been
What's Next?