We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Legislator Committee Appointment

Dear Chairwoman, dear fellow Legislators,

with the new Legislator Committee now being law, it is up to us in the Cabinet to find three individuals to spearhead that new commission. It is a very promising idea with high expectations, both in terms of how quickly and easily new nations can find their way into our off-site governance, but also with regards to security guarantees. Picking the right initial roster of people is imperative to the committee's long-term success.

Unfortunately, we have already stumbled upon a roadblock. It was very important to the Cabinet to ensure a running legislator application system even while we conduct hearings and discussions to determine the three appointments that we will make. To facilitate that, we coordinated with the incumbent Chair of the Assembly at the time, Sandaoguo, and requested that he would be grandfathered into the newly established committee through a continuing resolution, which he accepted. However, Sandaoguo has not processed a single legislator application since that time, and in fact now actively refuses to process them, naming the holidays as a reason. While the Cabinet certainly respects any player preferring holidays over menial duties in a game (real life comes before NationStates after all), the reasoning seems disingenuous in this case. Not only did Sandaoguo not inform the Cabinet beforehand of this (in which case we would have gladly sought another solution for the interim), Sandaoguo continues to actively post on the South Pacific forum and the NationStates forum.

Compounding the issue is that the current holiday season is often a time for new players to start the game, or older players to get an interest in new and exciting places such as the South Pacific. A speedy legislator application process is imperative to good retention, especially during this season.

In the interest of the region's well-being, the Cabinet sees itself forced to act immediately. We have decided to appoint myself to the committee with all deliberate speed. With the Assembly's approval, I will ensure quick turnaround for the duties of the committee, at least in the interim, while the Cabinet continues the more intense process of hearings and debate to select further appointments. I am absolutely willing to resign after the interim period, should the Assembly prefer this, and I will work with the Chairwoman to find a way to effectively gauge the Assembly's interest in this matter then. For now, I appeal to the trust the Assembly has placed in me before. This is not an appointment based in nepotism, but in pragmatism.

Chairwoman, I declare that we, the Cabinet, have chosen in good faith to nominate Roavin to one of the vacancies on the Legislator Committee in accordance with Article 1 Section 2 of the Legislator Committee Act. I request that the floor be opened for three days of debate preceding an approval vote as per Article 1 Sections 2 and 3 of the Legislative Procedure Act. Furthermore, I motion to waive the debate time as per Article 2 Section 7 of the same.

-- Roavin, Prime Minister
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I approve of Roavin handling legislator apps.  I think that Glenn took the job with the caveat that he did not want it and therefore that returns us to our original problem regarding this particular joyless task.

I also think that we should consider or reconsider the role of committee since it was exceptionally hard to vet any candidate (other than Roavin) who would both accept the job and be clear of any security issues or other issues (lack of logging in or doing anything, etc).

Then, should we tie the Prime Minister position to being a member of the LC.  In my mind, ideally for a three person committee we would have 1 CRS member on the committee, the PM, and at least one member who keeps up to date on current events in NSGP. However, its become increasingly clear that its hard to come up with this committee without overlapping with the cabinet or hitting up some conflict of interest.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

To be frank, I think it is inappropriate that a serving cabinet member be appointed to the committee. I'm also rather perplexed at the supposed problems with nominating members; we have no shortage of members not serving in the executive.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Can you list members you wish to nominate who are active and have a body of work in the region to help support their nomination?  We need three so there's a goal, as well.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I should note that Escade's view regarding the membership in the committee should probably be in a separate discussion thread Tounge

(12-23-2017, 05:56 PM)Belschaft Wrote: To be frank, I think it is inappropriate that a serving cabinet member be appointed to the committee.

I absolutely sympathize with that. I would be screaming bloody murder if our roles were reversed. On the other hand, this is a problem that needs to be solved fast so I am willing to be a bit disgusted with myself about it (and I am).

I am more than happy to step down/resign/be recalled/etc. afterwards.

(12-23-2017, 05:56 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm also rather perplexed at the supposed problems with nominating members; we have no shortage of members not serving in the executive.

We do have specific criteria that we're looking for. If you have specific names that you'd like to put forward, I encourage you to post them in this thread.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

While I will not say that this is an ideal situation, I will say that it is very much so important that legislator applications are processed as quickly as possible. 
Ro, I certainly would rather the executive not have this role, I do believe that in the interest of speed, you are correct for this job.

However, I will ask that you step down as soon as the task is completed & the committee is fully formed
It's casual- Sharikan
The Gameplayer also known as Kangly/Kang/Kangles

This is an inappropriate solution to an even worse problem. As long as Roavin resigns immediately after the next committee members are put forth by the Cabinet, and the Cabinet accomplishes this with the utmost haste, then I can see this as a necessity. Nevertheless, it’s sad that we’ve had to resort to this to finally deal with legislator applications.

Marius Rahl

Fortitudine Vincimus!

Again, we'd love more nominations. Some of the formerly nominated people have outright declined and others - upon investigation - have either been inactive, will be inactive or otherwise.  So therefore, further nominations would be great so the cabinet can get to work on this with haste.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Quite frankly there's nobody I can really think of at the moment, but if I come up with someone I'll head on over.
It's casual- Sharikan
The Gameplayer also known as Kangly/Kang/Kangles

Couple things:

We simply need someone to look at apps and say whether or not they are OK. Roavin is in a position to be active and do it, so — while admittedly not ideal — this can work in the short term.

We're in a situation where the apps are barely being processed and this has been an ongoing problem.

If, we're concerned about the legality/influence of who Roavin approves, why don't we offer up a quick stop gap measure saying the full legislative committee can revoke what Roavin does in the meantime?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]