We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Mermaid for Delegate

[Image: 8FwLINj.png]
A Mermaid for Delegate

Hai Smile

I was first delegate of the South Pacific in 2013. Since then the game and the region have changed in some ways and remained the same in others. 

These are the key things a delegate should do for the development of TSP:

1. Be responsible for helping maintain the security of the region
I was a member of the CSS in TSP and have provided intel and also collated intel for members of the CRS (including last year).   Then, as a former delegate of TSP I know how to endotart, keep an eye out for suspicious nations and when I think something is fishy I report it to a CRS member right away. 

2. Promote growth and activity
If there’s one thing I’m good at it is inspiring and promoting growth and activity! I think of activity in terms of small waves and large waves. Small waves include things like the mermaid meme which inspired some fun on the Discord and gameside (Auphelia and Techolandia wrote mermaid inspired musicals which was really fun). Large waves include the WA endorsement project we are undertaking with TNP. I really like TNP as one of our oldest and most consistent allies and am excited to help Vietnam and his team on this project!

3. Serve as an advisor on the WA  
As delegate, I think it’s my responsibility to inform the region of current WA proposals and then gauge their feelings on it before voting.  I am also engaging in drafting some WA proposals now to see how it works and better be able to help TSPers who may want to write their own!

4. Work with the Local Council in moderating the RMB
I’m active on the RMB and well acquainted with many of the candidates for the new LC team. My general philosophy (and practice) is to remind people of the rules and give them a heads up before obliterating. In a recent situation where there was some friction, I ended up overseeing mediation between three gamesiders. Then there are the heinous cases like the nation that I reported to the mods for saying some really horrific things and who was suppressed very quickly. The LC makes the rules and I support them in enacting them and sometimes may suggest things to them as well.  

5. Promote game-side activities
This is a definitely an area for improvement for TSP.  It would be nice to work with the Local Council and promote some of their news services, roleplay, or creative works on forumside and via Discord. Possibly actually posting their works on forumside may encourage more of them to join or at least feel that we are interested in what they are doing and aware of it!

6. Represent the preferences of the game-side community
This requires talking to gamesiders and asking them questions, working with the LC to run polls. I have always maintained some communication via RMB and TG with gamesiders and would love to do this is a more focused way as a representative. 

7. Building TSP’s reputation as a positive, vibrant and nourishing community
The delegate is one the many representatives of the region. My goal in the last few positions I’ve held in TSP is to whittle down on the imperialist branding of us and rebuild us as an active, friendly, and party-loving region.  In addition to other projects, I’ve started an Event Services project to help spread TSP’s refinement of events to other regions and hope to build our reputation as a region that shares its skills and talents with the rest of the NS Community. 

Thank you for reading! I hope to work with players on gameside and forumside for the betterment of TSP<3  I welcome questions.

[Image: 1SkIhrm.gif]

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

[-] The following 1 user Likes Escade's post:
  • Tim

Really love the banner! :O
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

The South Pacific is home to more than 6,000 nations, but only a small percentage of them participate actively in regional affairs, and this issue is not new and over the years our region's leaders have failed to tackle this issue, which made it even bigger. How do you, as the delegate, plan to solve this issue once and for all?
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

(07-04-2018, 06:35 AM)palaisbellevuebz Wrote: The South Pacific is home to more than 6,000 nations, but only a small percentage of them participate actively in regional affairs, and this issue is not new and over the years our region's leaders have failed to tackle this issue, which made it even bigger. How do you, as the delegate, plan to solve this issue once and for all?

I would argue that first not all 6,000 nations want to be part of regional affairs. Some want to answer issues or be part of the RMB or roleplay on NS or any number of things. We've actually done polls in the past (and recently, as MoRA, I TGed nations to ask what more they wanted to do or what they liked best and many answered "Answering issues") that have shown that different players want different things out of the game. 

Then, many delegates have tried to increase participation, particularly WA participation. In fact, we've seen Seraph (and possibly others as I'm not aware of the behind the scenes for the past several months) bring us from about 350ish WAs on average to about 630 WAs which is a high for TSP - so we've shown signs of improvement as a region across many avenues. In addition, the two roleplay regions came out of delegates and gamesiders figuring out what they wanted to do and where.

My personal plan is to work closely with the LC and instead of pushing what we expect gamesiders to do - do more of what they want. I have a close relationship to the gameside and TG many gamesiders on a regular basis or RMB banter with others and really enjoy that community.  All LC members would be a pleasure to work with on increasing fun (because we hopefully play this game to have fun, I certainly do and have a lot of fun in this region) for the community. 

Something that I would love to try to do more is make the forums more accessible and incentivize people joining the forums based on things I have seen UCRs like XKI and Fort Triumph do.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Just a month ago, you stated firmly that you were going to take time off running for political office to “reflect and grow” in the wake of the past Cabinet’s problems:
(05-31-2018, 04:27 PM)Escade Wrote: I myself will not be running as I believe it is important for me to take this time to reflect and grow as an individual before taking on leadership roles once again.

1. Why do you believe you are ready to run for another high office in TSP less than a month after the end of your last, trouble-filled term?
  2. What “reflecting and growing” did you do in the past month which you believe was enough to make you fit for office again? In what ways do you believe you have grown since your Cabinet term ended?
  3. How has your operating style/behaviour changed in the past month and how would your behaviour as Delegate differ from the way you acted as Minister?
Please respond to each of these questions individually and please give specific examples.
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

(07-05-2018, 12:54 AM)Somyrion Wrote: Just a month ago, you stated firmly that you were going to take time off running for political office to “reflect and grow” in the wake of the past Cabinet’s problems:
(05-31-2018, 04:27 PM)Escade Wrote: I myself will not be running as I believe it is important for me to take this time to reflect and grow as an individual before taking on leadership roles once again.

1. Why do you believe you are ready to run for another high office in TSP less than a month after the end of your last, trouble-filled term?
  2. What “reflecting and growing” did you do in the past month which you believe was enough to make you fit for office again? In what ways do you believe you have grown since your Cabinet term ended?
  3. How has your operating style/behaviour changed in the past month and how would your behaviour as Delegate differ from the way you acted as Minister?
Please respond to each of these questions individually and please give specific examples.        

I stated I would not run for cabinet because I did not think it would be conducive to have the same cabinet working together. I do not and will not accept any political theatrics, such as the MoNC, and hope TSP doesn't adapt that kind of region-harming, cherry picking, witch hunting toxicity as normal.     

1. I've run for and won seven elections in this region.  I was asked to run for delegate when I had only been in the game for three months, and chose to wait until I felt I was more experienced.   In my first term as delegate, I had imperialists threaten to coup us if we didn't eliminate defenders from the region and managed a whole host of issues including having our forums held hostage by Hileville, or having Topid send out a mass "Unendorse the regional government" telegram.  I've been delegate before and am active and  know what I'm doing and if I don't I consult the CRS. As Minister (of Foreign Affairs, Regional Affairs, and Military Affairs), I had at least one if not more experienced members of the region as an adviser and will continue that pattern. Even as a legislator, I consult or inform things to the CRS so I will continue to rely on them. Over the last month, looking back on my career in TSP I appreciate the region so much and the opportunities I've had.

2. The cabinet issue was one of differing communication styles. Of course I've been MoRA twice, MoFA twice, and MoMA once as well as delegate once so there are a lot of terms to reflect upon. As for growth I think I've improved upon things as I could (sometimes not in the way I expected) and reflecting on my long history in TSP has made me feel proud to be a TSPer and a member of the region.

3. My style has remained consistent over four years of service to the region.  I believe my operating style will remain one with passion and drive for everything I do, and I'm proud of my passion for TSP.  That passion will translate even further into the Delegacy, as I have the drive and motivation to interact with and connect to TSP. While I know I can be intense at times, I believe that intensity will help me further channel connections and growth and activity for the TSP populace.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

As somebody wanting to be Delegate of TSP, why are you starting a third-party, independent “event service” that’s clearly meant to compete with the Ministry of Regional Affairs? Shouldn’t the Delegate be supporting the region’s government, rather than competing against it? If you win, would you be using your position as Delegate to promote your new third-party thing, over or in competition with MoRA events?
[-] The following 1 user Likes sandaoguo's post:
  • Somyrion

The position of delegate requires a large amount of cooperation with the Cabinet. Do you believe that as delegate you will be able to work with the members of the Cabinet (and CRS successfully, despite long-running tensions with nearly all of them?
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!

than 1 minute ago
I view the fact that multiple former delegates were nominated for the position as delegate a major concern. Do you share that concern and if so what do you think nations like us can do to ensure that newer generations of TSPers are capable to lead?
The 16th Delegate of The South Pacific
[-] The following 1 user Likes southern bellz's post:
  • Escade

(07-05-2018, 05:26 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: As somebody wanting to be Delegate of TSP, why are you starting a third-party, independent “event service” that’s clearly meant to compete with the Ministry of Regional Affairs? Shouldn’t the Delegate be supporting the region’s government, rather than competing against it? If you win, would you be using your position as Delegate to promote your new third-party thing, over or in competition with MoRA events?

There is no competition? This is not a MoRA project? It's a project run by two TSPers that has been in plans for a while. 

MoRA is a government institution that has several different functions beyond events.  For there to be a competition there would have to be simultaneous events running? The one event that I was offered to host that could have competed with MoRA (the region Australia wanted to run a music festival type event) I didn't even do because of the potential conflicts.  Currently the server is full of players who I like socially, who have asked me for help on events in the past or currently, and who have even tried to recruit me to their regions so I can help them with their culture.  The server is about a skill I and my partner Ian are good at (building culture and activity) and sharing it with people.

If anyone would like to know more about it you may check out the dispatch here. Or check out the thread here in the TSP Embassy thread for a very bizarre reaction to this entire project and one that I think seems to have a very low estimation of MoRA and the many things it does beyond events (as well as that not everything is a competition and trying to destroy independent projects from TSPers is actually antithetical to a healthier and more active TSP).  Framing things in such a negative light echoes my earlier point about the kind of toxicity that is highly problematic in this region. 

I've been approached constantly to help people with their events.  I've tried when I can and ended up repeating the same information and thought a central location would help people see how these things go from idea to realization.  Plus, I've met a lot of really wonderful and unique people in this game and its a place for all of them to meet each other, make new friends, and also possibly come up with some fun projects. These are people from the UCR, GCR, roleplay and other communities and politics is left behind.

We don't always have to do things for an advantage of some sort or a title or credit, sometimes its really just helping fun things happen in a game that is about fun.

(07-05-2018, 10:14 AM)Somyrion Wrote: The position of delegate requires a large amount of cooperation with the Cabinet. Do you believe that as delegate you will be able to work with the members of the Cabinet (and CRS successfully, despite long-running tensions with nearly all of them?

Can you point out particular points where the last three delegates of TSP have engendered a "large amount of cooperation" with the Cabinet?  In fact, you can specifically speak to the last term where you held the same role you do now (MoMA) to provide examples of the type of cooperation you recall from the delegate for the SPSF or for major MoRA events such as the Lord of the Rings festival or the second Olympics event?  While it is feasible that the delegate assist with growth and activity - the past three delegates have interpreted this in different ways. So I'd like you to detail what types of cooperation you have seen in your own last term and the previous ones and then what types of cooperation you would expect now so I can address specifics.

Thanks for clarifying, in advance. 

(07-05-2018, 03:31 PM)southern bellz Wrote: than 1 minute ago
I view the fact that multiple former delegates were nominated for the position as delegate a major concern. Do you share that concern and if so what do you think nations like us can do to ensure that newer generations of TSPers are capable to lead?

That's a good question. I think there are two parts to this actually. First is our elections in general tend to favor candidates (such as the current cabinet consists of people who had held positions in TSP before). 

Then while several promising newer players (as in haven't held a number of positions outside of maybe a particular niche) have been nominated (among these PencilSharpeners2, Vietnam, and Omega who for various reasons cannot run.  I do hope they run next term or plan to get involved in the cabinet. In fact, if PS2 or Vietnam or Omega had run I would not be running myself and would throw my full support behind them.

I'm going to be honest, there is also a fear of newer players couping the TSP delegacy which is why a tendency to want older players who have proven that they won't coup.  On the one hand, I can understand fears of coups although I think we don't want to be controlled by our fears.  Then, if there is a such a fear we can't count on one position (delegate) to prevent such things and really should figure out how else we can bolster the CRS and our security systems.

New players should run and should be nominated and encouraged. This is not to say that I like candidates who have no experience whatsoever. Newer players who have provided service to the region whether as LC members or cabinet or Chair of Assembly though should run. 

As delegate I'd like to take on a team (because in every position I've held, I like to build a team) of players  and  encourage them and give them insight as well as a way to show what they can do for the region.  I'd welcome players who have been nominated (and have some service to the region) to ask whoever does become delegate to take them on as a team member. There's so much more you can accomplish if you work together. 

Thank you all for the questions! If there are any clarifications please let me know Smile

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest