We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Amendment to the Legislator Committee Act

I thought about this because I thought it was unfair that legislators who were taken out of legislatorship during the election because of activity checks, and then immediately reapplied, were not allowed to vote. 
We could change it to say certain things (May vote if activity check during the election omits them from legislatorship, may vote if previous activity check omitted them from legislatorship, et cetera.) But this is just the basic idea I want to float.
Quote:
Legislator Committee Act
An act to establish a commission to manage legislators
2. Legislator Applications

(1) Any member of the Coalition is eligible to attain legislator status if
a. the Legislator Committee does not opine that they are seeking membership in bad faith,
b. they have a nation in the South Pacific,
c. are not attempting to join with multiple nations or identities, and
d. are not considered by the Council on Regional Security to be a significant risk to regional security.

(2) A member of the Coalition may attain legislator status through an application with the Legislator Committee. The Committee shall confirm the reception of an application within 48 hours. The Committee will determine the eligibility of the applicant, consulting any other institutions of the Coalition as needed to inform its decision, and shall strive to accept or deny each applicant within a week.

(3) An application for legislator status must include at least
a. the current nation in the South Pacific,
b. any colloquial aliases of the individual in use within the last year, or in prominent use longer than a year ago,
c. the current World Assembly nation of the individual (in case of a floating World Assembly membership, the applicant may list multiple nations such that World Assembly membership can be traced throughout the application process), and
d. a pledge to uphold the laws of the Coalition of the South Pacific.

(4) The Legislator Committee may request additional legitimation steps from applicants, such as requesting a telegram from a World Assembly nation. An applicant may choose to publicly withhold some information and only disclose it to the Council on Regional Security in case of reasonable concerns of confidentiality.

(5) Upon acceptance or denial of an application, the Legislator Committee shall post the result (including a sufficient reason in case of a denial) both in response to the application as well as per telegram to the applicant nation.

(6) Anyone admitted to legislator status during a forum election in which only legislators may vote, from the time nominations begin until the conclusion of forum voting, may not stand for election nor vote in that forum election.  If a legislator is readmitted during an election, they are allowed to vote in that election.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

So, if I understand correctly, you're proposing that if somebody's legislatorship is removed for inactivity while an election is ongoing, and they are readmitted during that election, they can still vote?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

(01-18-2019, 10:59 AM)Roavin Wrote: So, if I understand correctly, you're proposing that if somebody's legislatorship is removed for inactivity while an election is ongoing, and they are readmitted during that election, they can still vote?

yes; essentially.

That's a negative from me. Their activity levels deemed that they loose their Legislator status. They dont get the right to vote in an election if they cant take the time to be here the month before elections.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 3 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • sandaoguo, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

I remember back when admins had to do citizenship activity checks and *notify inactive citizens* before removing their citizenship. All that resulted in players being inactive until right before an election. Then they’d come, post enough times to not lose their citizenship, vote, and leave again for 3 months.

I very much disfavor anything that holds the hands of inactive members. Elections usually have lots of notices— that’s why people tend to come back during elections and notice they lost status. We shouldn’t be rewarding their inactivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 4 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Rebeltopia, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire, USoVietnam

Strongly disagree. This bill will essentially hold the hand for inactive members which will decrease activity level further if they even care.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 2 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

I agree with what Rebs, Glen, and USoV said - simply participating in an election isn't enough to warrant legislatorship; you need to actively participate in debate.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest

Not to pile on here but for the record, this is what happens with inactive Legislators:
  • When a new vote is created, the Chair (or the Deputy Chair, depending on whose turn it is) pings all Legislators in the Legislator Lounge to inform them of the vote. The NationStates account Assembly of The South Pacific publishes a dispatch with the same information. The account also makes a note of the vote in a RMB post periodically posted every two days (for those Legislators who may not be on the forum very often but are active gameside).
  • Roughly 24 hours before a vote closes, the Chair makes a preliminary record of everybody who has cast a vote. They then contact these individuals on Discord to let them know of the vote just in case they accidentally missed it.
  • If a Legislator has failed the voting requirement for the month but they have shown themselves to be active on the forum or on Discord, the Legislator Committee will exercise discretion and pardon their absence for that month. The Chair then issues a warning to the individual. If they fail the requirement the following month, they are removed.

Personally, I believe we have an efficient system with generous leeway afforded to Legislators. If they know that they cannot maintain their activity for any reason whatsoever, they can apply for a Leave of Absence. However, if they still fail the voting requirement despite all the opportunities provided then I would respectfully argue that they are not doing their civic duty as Legislators and do not deserve to partake in the elections.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Belschaft

Okay. Looks like this idea was only good in my mind Tounge