We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Our embassy with the LCRUA

Quote:We were recently made aware of a government official in the LCRUA making anti-Semitic jokes, and facing no punishment for it. The same government official had previously made similar comments (which we were unaware of), and their punishment, even then, was minimal, and had to be insisted upon by our ally, the Rejected Realms. Their behaviour does not seem to have changed, and the LCRUA does not seem interested in changing their behaviour. The LCRUA also has no problem with the use of anti-LGBT slurs. Additionally, the LCRUA holds embassies with the USSD, and their server welcomes Attero, both blacklisted in the wider NationStates community.

The South Pacific has values including strong opposition to hateful ideologies, maintaining an area welcoming to all, and a commitment to the safety of our members. Unfortunately we do not believe the LCRUA shares these values, and therefore we will be withdrawing our embassy and ambassador.

-

This statement will be made public once the Assembly has had a chance to look at it. We're open to any questions you may have.
[-] The following 8 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Amerion, guava, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire, Volaworand

Makes sense. Seems pretty cut and dried. If they’re harboring blacklisted people and tolerating hate speech I see no reason why the embassy should be kept open. Thanks Nakari.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.
[-] The following 7 users Like Witchcraft and Sorcery's post:
  • Amerion, Nakari, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Roavin, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(02-19-2019, 05:25 AM)Nakari Wrote:
Quote:We were recently made aware of a government official in the LCRUA making anti-Semitic jokes, and facing no punishment for it. The same government official had previously made similar comments (which we were unaware of), and their punishment, even then, was minimal, and had to be insisted upon by our ally, the Rejected Realms. Their behaviour does not seem to have changed, and the LCRUA does not seem interested in changing their behaviour. The LCRUA also has no problem with the use of anti-LGBT slurs. Additionally, the LCRUA holds embassies with the USSD, and their server welcomes Attero, both blacklisted in the wider NationStates community.

The South Pacific has values including strong opposition to hateful ideologies, maintaining an area welcoming to all, and a commitment to the safety of our members. Unfortunately we do not believe the LCRUA shares these values, and therefore we will be withdrawing our embassy and ambassador.

-

This statement will be made public once the Assembly has had a chance to look at it. We're open to any questions you may have. 

Looks good.  Thanks for keeping us safe.  :-)

Legislator | Local Councilor | Aspiring TSP Curmudgeon
Messages archived by the Ministry Of the Regal Executive - Bureaucratic Services

[-] The following 3 users Like Volaworand's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Seraph

Sweet Jesus, this is disturbing... unacceptable, even. The LCRUA needs to be shown that such behavior cannot be tolerated.
[-] The following 3 users Like Pax Dracon's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Volaworand

This consolidates the South Pacific's position as a champion of civil rights in NationStates. Just as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said: "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Wherever hatred still prevails, we shall not stop fighting for what's right, even if it means sacrificing. I applaud Nakari's decision as it is proof that we will not let regions get away with threatening our values and those of other regions alike.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 2 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Poppy, The Sakhalinsk Empire

Well, ouch. 
Good move though, who knows what would have happened down the line...
Woof, woof, I'm a dog I like dogs.

Legislator in the Assembly of the South Pacific.
Member of the Island Democratic Party.
Former Local Councillor in the South Pacific.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Midand's post:
  • Poppy

It's been nearly 10 days since the statement was published here. Can the Minister advise if this statement has been made public, considering the broad agreement of members that have commented thus far?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Awe's post:
  • Poppy

(02-28-2019, 12:35 AM)Awe Wrote: It's been nearly 10 days since the statement was published here. Can the Minister advise if this statement has been made public, considering the broad agreement of members that have commented thus far?

I know it's been posted publicly in our MoFA subforum and on the RMB. The embassy in question has also been withdrawn. I don't know if it's been posted on NSGP, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to learn it has been.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 3 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Volaworand

I see, thanks for clarifying!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Awe's post:
  • Poppy

Yep, I probably should have added in this thread that it had been published! The statement was posted roughly 12 hours after the creation of this thread, in the MoFA subforum and on both our and LCRUA's RMBs. It wasn't posted on NSGP as I didn't want the first official post on TSP's forum thread in ages to be so negative (and potentially spark annoying + public arguments with LCRUA).
[-] The following 3 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Volaworand