We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Foreign Affairs Update: TWP Detente

One of the things I inherited from Somyrion's term as Minister of Foreign Affairs was the negotiations that he had been having with The West Pacific. Shortly after my election, I was approached by Halo, who asked what my intentions were and expressed that he hoped the negotiations could continue under my watch. Now, my views on relations with The West Pacific are no secret-- they were the first thing I explained during the questioning period of my campaign. I explained then that "TWP and TSP have been distant for... ever, really." I went on to say the following:

If you want to propose renewing relations with TWP, you have to answer some questions. The first is, "Why?" The second is, "Does this align with our values and interests?"

I did not believe that either question had truly been explored before or during negotiations last term. In my talks with Halo, I explained that it's unrealistic to see TSP and TWP as friends, given how many of our enemies they are allied with, our history, and the strong animosity quite a few of their elite have towards me specifically. I also explained my reticence regarding the Rahl Family and their strong presence within the region. We did not see eye-to-eye on the Rahl Family issue, which is no surprise.

That being said, I took a fresh look at the draft statement Somyrion and Halo had written. There was a kernel of something valuable there, I believed, and I made significant edits to the wording and the overall purpose of the statement. While this statement would not mark a "renewal" of relations with TWP, it would represent a defining moment, so to speak. Our policy towards TWP hasn't ever been properly outlined. We've just had vague notions that we just weren't friends and haven't been for a long time. Instead of this vagueness that can be misinterpreted into us being openly hostile to TWP (which has not been the case in a long time, as well), TSP's interests could be served by a joint statement explaining our current positions towards each other.

With that in mind, I presented Halo with a statement of detente. Detente is defined as the easing of strained relations, but not a newfound friendship or budding alliance. That, I believe, is a perfect description of our relationship with TWP. It could be worthwhile to tell the game, "We may not be friends, but we are not enemies either. And we'll strive to avoid becoming enemies in the future."

Without further adieu, here is the draft statement I have sent Halo. In keeping with my promises for transparency, I am presenting this draft to the Assembly for comment. It's not signed by either party, and the Cabinet hasn't formally voted upon it either way.

Statement of Detente Between
The West Pacific and The South Pacific

For years, the diplomatic and political relationship between The West Pacific and The South Pacific has been strained and at times antagonistic. The long history between our regions cannot be erased by a single statement, but by signing this statement our respective governments wish to pave the first stone on the road to a future of peaceful coexistence. We recognize that there exist legitimate concerns of members of each of our regions to the idea of official relations. We also acknowledge that respectful and open dialogue and interaction between our regions would be mutually beneficial.

We, the undersigned representatives of our governments, recognize a state of detente between our two regions. It is in our strategic interests to ease our strained relations and open official channels of communication. To be clear, this is not a binding treaty of non-aggression or alliance, but it is a significant step in openly declaring that The West Pacific and The South Pacific are not enemies.

Accordingly, the governments of The West Pacific and The South Pacific agree to strive towards--
  • Each of our governments respecting the sovereignty of the other, and encouraging that respect among our partners and allies.
  • Each of our governments understanding and acknowledging that with sovereignty comes the right to govern itself in the way of its choosing.
  • Each of our governments committing to participate in, and invite each other to, non-political cultural activities and events in order to increase interregional awareness and friendships.
  • Each of our governments encouraging mutual respect and understanding of the members of our communities.

Signed:

[executives + ministers of foreign affairs]
[-] The following 9 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Amerion, Bzerneleg, Kurnugia, Nakari, Poppy, Ryccia, Seraph, Volaworand, Witchcraft and Sorcery

This seems like a very realistic statement and I hope it is well-received by the West.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 2 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

During my term as our Ambassador to the West Pacific last year, I have had the honour of meeting and talking to multiple government officials, including Davelands, who was the West Pacific's former Delegate. It is no surprise that our diplomatic relations with the West Pacific have always been rough, citing differences in policy and perspectives, along with personal conflicts among the leadership of ours and of the West Pacific. 

A relationship which had been pushed deep down the water takes a lot of time, dedication and effort from both sides of the table in order to be able to bring it back to life. No matter how hard it would be or how many challenges we'd face along the way, I strongly believe it's worth a try. An easing in tensions between our two regions will be a win for diplomacy and security.

The West Pacific is currently the third largest region in NationStates, right behind us. In the case of a state of war existing between our two regions, TWP would be posing a constant threat to our sovereignty and security, noting the difference of only 500+ nations between TSP and TWP. My biggest concern, as of now, is the West Pacific's ties to many of our enemy regions. That will surely be an obstacle to our negotiations towards official diplomatic relations. 
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 4 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Ryccia, Seraph

So, I'm always open to new friends and don't have particular hard feelings toward TWP. Some of the people there are quite lovely, even if the region's approach to the game is vastly different than outs.

While I feel like TWP has been more hostile to us, than us them, this seems like a logical step.

[Edited upon new information.]
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 4 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia, Seraph, Volaworand

Glad to see us (and Glen, also Tounge) opening up to TWP more. 
This is what I like to see: turning enemies into neutrals, and eventually, (with some reform to TWPs' government ofc), friends.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister
[-] The following 1 user Likes North Prarie's post:
  • Poppy

(04-08-2019, 05:56 PM)North Prarie Wrote: Glad to see us (and Glen, also Tounge) opening up to TWP more. 
This is what I like to see: turning enemies into neutrals, and eventually, (with some reform to TWPs' government ofc), friends.

To be clear, friendship is not an outlook the Cabinet has adopted. This is very much the opposite of seeing rapprochement on the horizon. We've never been enemies with TWP, and that's all this statement is about.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sandaoguo's post:
  • Poppy

Should all go to plan and this statement becomes a reality, what are the next steps in our relationship with TWP?

Will there be an exchange of some sort (cultural, RMB festival, etc) which TSP can use to get to know our counterparts better?
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Poppy

I don’t have any plans for TWP after the statement. I don’t believe they do either.

As for cultural or social stuff, that would be up to our respective RA ministries.

The point of this statement isn’t to have “next steps in our relationship,” as far as foreign policy goes. I think there’s still some misunderstanding about what this is. This isn’t a stepping stone in a plan of closer relations. It’s just defining what our existing relations are, aka not enemies. But if RA wants to hold some kind event, that’s fine. I would caution them to avoid the “friendship and glitter” style events, personally, as it papers over all the very legitimate reasons why we aren’t friends with TWP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[-] The following 4 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Volaworand

Any last comments? So far, everything's been positive. I've spoken with Halo and TWP is ready to publish when we are. So if there aren't any further comments, the Cabinet will take a vote on this.
[-] The following 2 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin

(04-08-2019, 06:44 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: We've never been enemies with TWP, and that's all this statement is about.

Technically we were at war with them back in 2011.... though we did wage it via mockery.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Poppy, Rebeltopia