We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Should the following amendment be adopted?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Aye
47.37%
18 47.37%
Nay
34.21%
13 34.21%
Abstain
18.42%
7 18.42%
Total 38 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

A1905.02: Amendment to Article 1 of the Elections Act

Legislators,

A proposal has been introduced to amend Article 1 of the Elections Act.

The debate thread can be found here.

A motion and a second have been received to bring this amendment to a vote.

As this is a constitutional law amendment, the voting period is five days and will require a three-fifths supermajority of those voting in favour to pass, with the exception of abstentions. The vote will end on the 28th of MAY, 2019, at 12:00 a.m. (UTC). 

Please vote by poll if possible. If you cannot vote by poll, post 'Aye', 'Nay' or 'Abstain' in this thread. Please do not vote both by poll and by post. Comments and discussion belong in the debate thread and may be moved there.

Text of the bill Wrote:
Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

1. Electoral Commission

(...)

(3) At the beginning of each voting period, the Election Commissioner shall directly message all Legislators informing them that voting has begun. The message shall include links to the campaign threads of all candidates for each position. In the case of a game-side election, the Election Commissioner shall telegram all nations in the South Pacific with this information.

I can't seem to be able to change my vote in the poll. It is currently "aye" - can you please count it as "nay" instead?
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nat's post:
  • Bzerneleg

(05-24-2019, 07:53 PM)Nat Wrote: I can't seem to be able to change my vote in the poll. It is currently "aye" - can you please count it as "nay" instead?

Thank you for informing me of the problem. I should have re-started the poll, but I'll just make sure I count your vote as Nay.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bzerneleg's post:
  • Nat

(05-24-2019, 07:53 PM)Nat Wrote: I can't seem to be able to change my vote in the poll. It is currently "aye" - can you please count it as "nay" instead?

There should be a link that says 'undo vote' after 'you have already voted in this poll' under the poll title and above the results. If that isn't working, I suggest you inform the forum admins.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(05-25-2019, 03:23 AM)Seraph Wrote: There should be a link that says 'undo vote' after 'you have already voted in this poll' under the poll title and above the results. If that isn't working, I suggest you inform the forum admins.

I see that now, I must have missed it before - thanks Smile

@Bzerneleg - I have now changed the vote on the poll, so you don't need to manually change it; sorry about all of that
Former Associate Justice of the High Court of the South Pacific (4 December 2019 to 5 February 2021)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nat's post:
  • Seraph

[Image: G9gwxLt.png]

LEGISLATION FAILED

28 MAY 2019

(A1905.02)

Legislators,

Please be advised that the vote to amend Article 1 of the Elections Act has FAILED.

The final tally is 17 in favour, 14 in opposition, with 7 abstaining, for a total of 38 votes.

The vote failed to pass with 55% voting in favour, thus not satisfying the requirement for a three-fifths supermajority of those voting with the exclusion of abstentions.

(05-27-2019, 10:09 PM)Bzerneleg Wrote:
[Image: G9gwxLt.png]
LEGISLATION FAILED
28 MAY 2019
(A1905.02)
Legislators,

Please be advised that the vote to amend Article 1 of the Elections Act has FAILED.

The final tally is 17 in favour, 14 in opposition, with 7 abstaining, for a total of 38 votes.

The vote failed to pass with 55% voting in favour, thus not satisfying the requirement for a three-fifths supermajority of those voting with the exclusion of abstentions.

I was not aware that there was a 3/5ths voting requirement for laws. Where is this stated?
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Bzerneleg

(05-28-2019, 03:52 AM)The United Chinese Republic Wrote: I was not aware that there was a 3/5ths voting requirement for laws. Where is this stated?

A three-fifths supermajority is only applied constitutional laws and amendment to such laws. In this case, the Elections Act is a constitutional law, thus an amendment to that Act would need a three-fifths supermajority to pass. Check the Charter of the South Pacific for more details!
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 2 users Like Bzerneleg's post:
  • Amerion, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(05-28-2019, 05:24 AM)Bzerneleg Wrote:
(05-28-2019, 03:52 AM)The United Chinese Republic Wrote: I was not aware that there was a 3/5ths voting requirement for laws. Where is this stated?

A three-fifths supermajority is only applied constitutional laws and amendment to such laws. In this case, the Elections Act is a constitutional law, thus an amendment to that Act would need a three-fifths supermajority to pass. Check the Charter of the South Pacific for more details! 

OIC. Thanks!
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest