We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Debate] [IC] Constitution of the International Court

Dear ambassadors,

even after two years the World Forum is still not complete. We've got our chair, our committees, a resolution dealing with the accession of new members and observers, but we still have not set up an institution, that can keep the WF-members in check in terms of whether they are abiding to our rules or not, and especially one that - according to our charter - settles international disputes between two nations or a seccession movement and a nation.

I think, it's obvious with the current tensions in Eggraria and also in the IFF still, as well as with the former tensions in Transsuneria and Erinor that we ultimately need such an institution, because we, as the WF, should be a strong and powerful organisatin, trying to prevent any more bloodshed due to a civil war, holding up the ideals of the sovereignity of all peoples and all nations.

This is the reason, why I want to start right now the debate with all of you on what exactly the international court should be and how it should be organised. Before anyone puts up unrealistic expectations to this new institution, let me quote the charter, so we know, what we have to work towards:
Charter of the World Forum Wrote:Article II — The Functions
Section C — The Court
  1. The World Forum shall have a court—the International Court—which shall settle national and international disputes that are voluntarily submitted and to help the Forum, should the need for arbitration arise.
  2. If a party fails to comply with a decision of the International Court, the other party or parties may have recourse to the Assembly, where a recommendation may be made.
  3. The Assembly, through a simple majority vote, shall appoint Justices, the amount of which shall be also be specified by the Assembly.
  4. The Assembly shall also determine the length of time that a Justice shall serve.

My goal would be, that we will vote on and accept a resolution draft the latest at the end of my term, so the next speaker can finally work with a fully built up WF.

So, my dear colleagues, don't hesitate, just discuss with us or propose a concept. We need to get this done!

Christian Strunk
Speaker of the Assembly
Ambassador of the Federal Republic of GI-Land
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 4 users Like GI-Land's post:
  • Beepee, phoenixofthesun14, Qwert, Tin the Free

The case for an international court is vital as a means to be able to enforce international law and settle disputes. Which is why I propose stipulating that our international court shall consist of a board of 3 justices, based on their education and experience in law and justice. We should move to vote every 3 or 4 years as to whether these justices have been working to defend justice internationally, and if a justice is found to not be in compliance, then they shall be removed and replaced.

It is my recommendation that we establish a system for prosecuting those who do not wish to comply, such as a peacekeeping force divided into various functions as we see fit. This way, there would be a way to force compliance to a standard of justice and human rights, should any individual or nation be found guilty of violating human rights, as determined by the International Court.

Lia Kilaweioni
World Forum Representative of FiHami
Deputy Speaker of the Assembly
[-] The following 3 users Like phoenixofthesun14's post:
  • GI-Land, rosaferri, Tin the Free

It is imperative the world community develop a system of punishing those who disturb international peace and security. The Eggrarian delegation wholeheartedly supports the drafting of an International Court that allows for the World Forum to reprimand organizations and aid those victimized by harmful actions by aggressors. Eggraria will assist the creation of a Court with 10% of our apportioned international assistance budget; however, that number is set to change.

Octavian Smith
Senior Delegate to the World Forum on behalf of Eggraria
Head of the Committee on International Relations
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 3 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • GI-Land, phoenixofthesun14, Tin the Free

While I see a triumvirate of judges as a good idea, I think, it's still debatable, if that's high enough of a number.

As for the rotation of the judges, I think they should have a 6-months- or at max a 12-months-term. The assembly shall decide, which nations may send judges for the international court alongside with the election of the speaker and the officers.
Signed
Gianluca IV

TSPedia-Author

Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 4 users Like GI-Land's post:
  • Beepee, phoenixofthesun14, rosaferri, Tin the Free

Likewise, we ought to develop procedures to make sure the judges are unbiased. Clauses need to be made that they are not of the nations crucially involved in any matter as to oppose political agenda setting against certain nations.
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

[-] The following 4 users Like rosaferri's post:
  • Beepee, GI-Land, phoenixofthesun14, Tin the Free

Huawan also would like to offer the option for the counsel of these courts. Namely those that are versed in international law. If the accused is unable to find counsel, one would be provided for them by the court. Furthermore, there is also a need for guidelines to protect witnesses and those that would testify in this court, the recent attempted assassination of a Ryccian whistleblower is one of them.

Next, this international court would not only bring intergovernmental and international disputes between nations, but also between bodies of industry. If a company is said to be in infringement of a law, then the international court could be a volume to mediate as well.

Last but not least, any country may be able to accuse, or bring up a case against a country's actions, in which said case will be reviewed and mediated by the international court. We express ambassador Strunk's express concerns, in which the international court must be established. We would also like to note that due to Karnetvor's absence, we propose the international court be built and made in the only neutral piece of land in this region, Government Island.

Lord Gideon Kwah
Royal Delegate of The Peocracy of Huawan
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains
[-] The following 4 users Like Hammerstar's post:
  • GI-Land, phoenixofthesun14, rosaferri, Tin the Free

Anserisa think that giving the power to settle national disputes is a potential threat to the sovereignty of nations and would like to see this clause either modified to be precised as to which conflicts would be resolved by the International Court or removed until a more completed clause is ready.

We believe that it should be precised that only national disputes voluntarily submitted by said nation would be looked at by the International Court. As to prevent the actual clause which could potentially see a member nation voluntarily submit a case about another nation and be within its rights according to the presented clause.

Anserisan Representative to the World Forum
Virginia Vogélium
[-] The following 2 users Like Klô's post:
  • GI-Land, Tin the Free

Looking back at the initial talks of the founding members of the WF, I agree that this needs to be ensured. The WF shall not try to resolve conflicts, that were not brought to our attention voluntarily by at least one nation in need of help due to it.

Also after some time of consideration I would like to make another suggestion to the number of judges in the court. In our opinion all member nations should have the right to be represented by one judge in the international court, just like all members are represented by an ambassador in the assembly. This way we can also ensure that we always have a certain number of judges availbale, that are not crucially involved in any conflict within the region. Still we would like to stick to the idea, that on any case that comes up, only a board of 3-5 judges decides on the resolution of the conflict, with the rest of the judges playing a supportive role. The composition of the board of judges is flexible, meaning it gets changed for every case.
Signed
Gianluca IV

TSPedia-Author

Aurora Markatt (Maura)

"I believe that, if anything, the court should only rule in cases of international conflict, like war crimes, terrorism, infringement of national sovereignty, et cetera, to allow the Anserisan representative peace of mind that the court shall not infringe upon the rights of sovereign nations, but protect the sovereignty of the nations represented by the forum. And, with the proposal you presented, Mr. Speaker, I concur. Each reñresentative shall appoint an independant justice from their nation to serve on the International Court, and 5 justices selected based on each case shall work on the case, provided there are no potential conflicts of interest."

Dr. Roman Nussbaum
Antarchan World Forum Representative
[-] The following 1 user Likes phoenixofthesun14's post:
  • GI-Land

The Peocracy moves to vote for the formulation of the International Court, so that we could begin the discussions on formulating the body and designate the location

Lord Gideon Kwah
Royal Delegate of The Peocracy of Huawan
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains
[-] The following 2 users Like Hammerstar's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, rosaferri