We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Relations with the NPO

Howdy members of the Assembly. In an effort this term to ensure the Assembly is aware of and happy with what FA is doing, I will be letting the Assembly know the details of what we are doing in terms of negotiations when they begin and what we, in the Ministry, see the long term goals as being.

At this point in time, the MoFA has begun to engage the New Pacific Order (NPO) in discussions regarding a potential non-aggression pact (NAP). Our goal here is simple: we seek to promote peaceful and cooperative relations among all of the feeders. At this current juncture, I would not seek to make the NPO a full treaty ally. I want to be clear about that from the onset of this discussion.

Furthermore, we are encouraged by two aspects of reform the NPO has made internally. First is the broader enfranchisement of the average citizens through the election of the Vox Populi and the existence of the Body Republic. Second is the complete abandonment of Francoism as a governing principle in the affairs of the NPO. It is our belief that these two changes will allow for true reform to finally occur within the NPO. 

I would welcome any and all comments or concerns about this proposal. Please let us know what we can do in order to ensure we, as a region, feel comfortable with the further expansion of relations with the NPO. We also want to ask the broader question of if this is a foreign policy we are interested in pursuing. 

Thanks for y'all's time and thoughtful consideration.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021
[-] The following 3 users Like Omega's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14, Seraph, VecTa

Can you provide more details about these reforms?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(02-25-2020, 10:35 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Can you provide more details about these reforms?

Of course. Lord of Darkness, their current emperor has time and time again disavowed Francoism since coming to power as have all the members of the Senate. Furthermore, the NPO has instituted a Senator known as the Vox Populi who is elected by their citizens. The citizens also form what is known as the Body Republic, chaired by the VP, and can suggest laws as well as provide critique and input on any proposed measures from the Senate before they are enacted. While not as liberal as some of the regions we tend to surround ourselves with, this is significant progress compared to the rest of the NPO's history. It is our belief this is a substantially different NPO than we dealt with when we agreed to the Treaty of Capricorn.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

As with Laz, I'm not against a NAP, per se, but I'm not sure why we'd engage here. Unless there was a massive turnover of the leadership ... aren't these the people who screwed us before?
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(02-26-2020, 12:14 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: As with Laz, I'm not against a NAP, per se, but I'm not sure why we'd engage here. Unless there was a massive turnover of the leadership ... aren't these the people who screwed us before?

As far as I'm aware there was a massive change in their recent leadership, and they aren't officially raider etc., although I'm sure that Omega would be better placed to answer that.
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.

(02-26-2020, 12:14 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: As with Laz, I'm not against a NAP, per se, but I'm not sure why we'd engage here. Unless there was a massive turnover of the leadership ... aren't these the people who screwed us before?

First, yes, there was a massive turnover in leadership.

When the events of November 2018 happened, Aleisyr abdicated in favor of East Durthang aka Lord of Darkness (LoD), a move which has (probably accurately) been called "corporate being called in". LoD has been a fixture of non-NationStates NPO branches and brought with him an established track record (from other realms) of banning any "subversive" activity that are not part of that particular game's mechanics; if that was an intentional PR move or a fortunate side effect, I cannot say, but either way it was a move that directly addressed the main criticism that had been levied against NPO after the reveal of "Task Force Lazarus".

The Senate is largely different as well. Aleisyr, Pergamon, Svez are gone. Elegarth (who had been a vocal critic of "Pergamon's NPO") is now Regent. There are people like Xoriet (who we all know from being a huge fixture of TEP back in the day) and Marina in the Senate now. It really is a different crowd.

Second, they didn't screw us before. There was the canary trap thing that we should have been notified of, but even considering that (inconsequential) incident, I cannot recall any situation both before and after where NPO did not act with benign intent toward us in the past 4 years.

I strongly recommend reading this post from me on this topic last year
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Seraph

So, I don’t really follow NSGP in anywhere near enough detail to know how much meaningful these reforms are or whether or not they are largely cosmetic, but it does appear that most of the individuals involved in subverting and couping other GCR’s over the last half decade are no longer in positions of power in the NPO. That is broadly speaking a positive sign.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Seraph

First off, i’d like to refute the point that the canary trap was inconsequential. It showed that the NPO did’t really have any serious regard for us as a region.

I would not be opposed to this. It genuinely sounds like things have changed.
Midwesterner. Political nerd. Chipotle enthusiast. 
Minister of Culture of the South Pacific // Former Prime Minister

What’s the canary trap?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(02-26-2020, 11:47 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: What’s the canary trap?

The time Pergamon bragged he could fix TSP's elections at his leisure.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)