We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DONE] Discretionary edits: capitalization, numbering, and parentheses

In this thread, we discussed which capitalization of "Cabinet minister" was most appropriate, and seeing that the conversation has mostly spiraled into... unusual capitalization methods, I have decided that "Cabinet minister" was the most appropriate. I plan to make the following corrections in regards to capitalization in the Charter, the Elections Act, and the Judicial Act (unless y'all yell at me... again...):
Quote:
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

(13) The executive may exercise the collective authority of executive orders, by unanimous consent among the Prime Minister and Cabinet Mministers. Executive orders may only be issued to address an immediate and pressing issue created by ambiguity or holes in a particular law, which will immediately have the effect of law. 

(15) The Prime Minister and Cabinet Mministers may elect to appoint deputies and advisors, who will be considered junior members of the Cabinet, but will not have voting rights in any executive decision.

Quote:
Elections Act

1. Election Commission

(3) The Commissioner may not run for office or hold the office of Delegate, Prime Minister, or Cabinet Mministers, during their tenure as Commissioner.

4. Offices of the Cabinet

(3) The terms for the incoming Prime Minister and Cabinet Mministers will begin the week after elections, during which any and all election-related disputes must be settled. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet Mministers will maintain their offices until then.

7. Separation of Powers

(1) Offices of the Coalition are the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet Mministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Chief Justice, and any of their appointed deputies.

Quote:
Judicial Act

2. Judicial Conduct and Requirements

(3) The Chief Justice must fulfill the requirements to be an Associate Justice, and additionally may not serve as senior or junior cCabinet ministers, as Chair of Assembly or their deputy, or as Delegate.

Additionally, I would like to address the issues in numbering and parentheses that Amerion brought up. I plan to make the following changes to the Charter:
Quote:
THE CHARTER OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

Establishing an executive branch consisting of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet.

Minister of Defense

(13) The Minister of Defense will be the civilian leader of the armed forces of the Coalition, the South Pacific Special Forces. In conjunction with a group of Generals, the Minister of Defense will be responsible for the defense of the Coalition, building military activity, and conducting military operations.

(12)(14) The Minister of Defense may elect to establish an intelligence office, in equal coordination with the Council on Regional Security.

Executive Authorities

(13)(15) The executive may exercise the collective authority of executive orders, by unanimous consent among the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers. Executive orders may only be issued to address an immediate and pressing issue created by ambiguity or holes in a particular law, which will immediately have the effect of law.

(14)(16) Upon declaring an executive order, the order will be presented automatically to the Assembly for three days of debate, followed by a vote according to legislative rules, where it will expire and its effects shall be reversed if the Assembly does not incorporate it into law.

(15)(17) The Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers may elect to appoint deputies and advisors, who will be considered junior members of the Cabinet, but will not have voting rights in any executive decision.

VIII. THE HIGH COURT

Creating a supreme judicial authority for the Coalition.

(1) The High Court will consist of one Chief Justice and a number of Associate Justices, and will hold exclusive judicial authority in the Coalition.

Why is Chair capitalized but not Minister?

I don’t believe the changes proposed are proper grammatically. Minister is a title and should remain capitalized.

For example, the Secretary of State John McName is called Secretary McName, hence Secretary being a title and capitalized.

In our case, the Interior Minister John McName is Minister McName, hence the capitalization of the title of Minister.
[redcoat slayer]

(09-26-2020, 09:04 AM)Frankender Wrote: Why is Chair capitalized but not Minister?

I don’t believe the changes proposed are proper grammatically. Minister is a title and should remain capitalized.

For example, the Secretary of State John McName is called Secretary McName, hence Secretary being a title and capitalized.

In our case, the Interior Minister John McName is Minister McName, hence the capitalization of the title of Minister.

Sorry but I've already amended it, since it's been over 3 days since I posted my notice. I based my reasoning mostly on Farengeto's reasoning in this thread. Basically, if you say "Minister X" for example, it is capitalized. That's because you're referring to the title of a specific position, for example Minister of Foreign Affairs. But if you're saying "Cabinet ministers", "ministers" in itself is not a position, as it is talking about a type of position.