We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

October 2020: Forum+Discord Ministry offices

Ohai, incoming Cabinet!

This is an exciting term with three new ministries and the introduction of a unified Discord server. To facilitate this, of course, we'll need to spend some time during this transition setting up your new offices - seeing how many rooms you need, what sort of desks, the equipment of the meeting rooms, down to important details like the kind of coffee available at the coffee maker.

For the old ministries, this is mostly Discord-only, though this would be a good time to review the forum setup as well. For the newer ministries, this certainly affects both the forum and Discord.

To get started, could the ministers give me a rundown of the channels and roles they'll require both on Discord and the forum? We'll get those set up quickly. You can have as many channels and fora as you need, though I urge you to not overdo it.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • phoenixofthesun14

I'll keep it on the leaner side to start. I may have more later, but this should cover most of my starting needs. Feel free to pick whatever names feel appropriate.

For channels I'm going to need:
  • A general channel
  • A leadership channel
  • A TSJ channel (I might be rebranding, so maybe pick a more general name)
  • A Real Time channel
For roles:
  • Ministry role
  • Ministry leadership (maybe "Editorial Board" or something for now)
  • I might want sub-roles for my projects, but can probably go without them for now while I sort things out. There'll be enough overlap in the short-term.
I might need some additional things if I try the "live" Real Time shows, but those can probably use the existing Hall roles and channel.

EDIT: Forgot forums. I think I just need the general Media subforum, and maybe a sub one for TSJ for now.

Roavin, if I gave you admin access to the MoFA discord could we just replicate it without the general chat, foreign updates, and announcements channels?
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

The only channel the PM needs is the Cabinet Office yes? I mean most of the important stuff will be done on here outside of conversations. Also - what is the purpose of Swan Lake again?
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

These are just some basic channels that I will need. I will probably add a couple more in the coming days.

Channels:
  • General
  • Leadership
  • #project-1
  • #project-2
  • #project-3
  • #RP-planning

Roles:
  • Minister
  • Deputy Minister
  • Cultural Fellow
(I'll probably add some more roles soon)

Forums:
  • tbd
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...

(10-14-2020, 10:31 AM)Omega Wrote: Roavin, if I gave you admin access to the MoFA discord could we just replicate it without the general chat, foreign updates, and announcements channels?

Could I suggest here that we not migrate over individual embassy channels, and instead have a public "#embassy-row" channel for all foreign updates? The existing embassy channels are not used very much. Replicating them in the TSP server will create a very long channel list.

Some things to bear in mind for everyone with a unified server:
  • The goal is to a have a server that is easy to navigate, not cluttered, and not complicated to administrate
  • Consider a best practice: if a project can be done through group chats or in a forum thread, consider that instead of a channel. We have an upper channel limit of 500, and while we aren't close to meeting it now, if we do channels for every one-off project we could approach that threshold over the years. Additionally, the more channel there are on the sidebar, the more difficult it becomes to navigate for those involved in more than one ministry.
  • A unified server isn't meant to be a bunch of siloed ministries, meaning even though each ministry will get it own category, we shouldn't think of those categories as servers in and of themselves. For instance, are "general" chat channels needed for each ministry, or can that discussion be held a single public Cabinet channel?
[-] The following 2 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Omega, Roavin

I'd agree. We should be as lean as we reasonably can for the migration. Cut out anything we don't need or won't be active. Better eliminate the bloat now rather than later.

Yeah, I agree with Glen. Having one unified FA updates channel will definitely prevent some excess channels that will serve no purpose other than cause clutter.
swifty
Nation: Imperial Dodo
Discord Tag: swiftygamer#1448

[Image: K732CSn.png][Image: IL1nUV5.png][Image: iEwICrf.png][Image: 5bDBXB8.png]
[Image: q6bfWoR.png] [Image: vJjA98X.png]
Other Achievements/Roles:
- Minister of Culture (October 2020 - February 2021)
- SPSF Tidal Force Coordinator (April 2021 - Present)
- Deputy Chair of the Assembly (September 2020 - October 2020)
- MoM Member (October 2020 - Present)
- MoE Member (October 2020 - Present)
- Cabinet Advisor (August 2020 - October 2020)
- A TSP Legislator (July 2020 - Present)
- SPSF Soldier (June 2020 - Present)
- Ambassador to South Pacific (August 2020 - October 2020)
- Ambassador to The League (April 2021 - Present)
- Local Council Candidate (July/August 2020)
- Chair of the Assembly Candidate (September 2020)
- The MasterMind behind SPSFphoenixcoup2020
- The Loyal Servant of Goddess Phoenix
- The Most Active Member of OWL
- A very cute bear on the outside but on the inside, well, no one knows...

This is why I am not sold on the whole "unified server deal" but y'all do youse guys.

Also- will this new update have an auto masking system?
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

(10-14-2020, 08:33 PM)Penguin Wrote: Also- will this new update have an auto masking system?

Coconut will be rigged up so that ministers and whoever can do ministry-relevant masking with simple commands. Regarding auto masking on joining the server, that'll come too but not as part of this step.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]