We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Clarifying days proclaimed by the Delegate or Cabinet (Cultural Act)

My reasoning for this change is simple, as the struck out clause in this proposal indicates, the Delegate and Cabinet could potentially abuse this clause to add holidays to the Cultural Act without authorization from the Assembly, and indicating that the Assembly could add holidays is redundancy since we already have that authority. However, there are instances where the Delegate and Cabinet should have some leeway to make proclamations, such as Endorsement Days proclaimed by the Delegate.

Cultural Act
An act outlining the customs of the South Pacific

3. Holidays

(2) Further holidays may be added by the Delegate, the Cabinet, or the Assembly.

(2) The Delegate and Cabinet may respectively proclaim days for observance without approval from the Assembly, but such days are not official holidays.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I can get behind this, though I would prefer to see the original section two remain in place so any of those bodies can actually add official holidays should one ever come up.

I also would like clarification on whether the delegate AND cabinet are required to proclaim days, or the delegate OR cabinet can proclaim days.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

(12-06-2020, 10:17 PM)Griffindor Wrote: I can get behind this, though I would prefer to see the original section two remain in place so any of those bodies can actually add official holidays should one ever come up.

I also would like clarification on whether the delegate AND cabinet are required to proclaim days, or the delegate OR cabinet can proclaim days.

I added "respectively" to provide clarity, but I think leaving the original clause in place would allow the Delegate or Cabinet to potentially add holidays that could be opposed by the Assembly. What's more, they're all legislators, so they could simply come to the Assembly and write up a proposal that could be debated and voted on.

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Jebediah

(12-06-2020, 10:52 PM)Jay Coop Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 10:17 PM)Griffindor Wrote: I can get behind this, though I would prefer to see the original section two remain in place so any of those bodies can actually add official holidays should one ever come up.

I added "respectively" to provide clarity, but I think leaving the original clause in place would allow the Delegate or Cabinet to potentially add holidays that could be opposed by the Assembly. What's more, they're all legislators, so they could simply come to the Assembly and write up a proposal that could be debated and voted on.

I agree with Jay here, if an official holiday is going to be added to the law it's probably going to be an assembly proposal anyways.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

I had thought of it more as "the cabinet/delegate introduces this proposed holiday for consideration by the assembly", not as an individual. Nonetheless, I support the change as is now Smile
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

I think this is a good change.  Full support.
Land Without Shrimp

I motion to vote on this bill by waiving the mandatory debate period. The reason for the proposed waiver is because I only added a grammatically-correct comma before "but" in the most recent edit. Without that edit, the last major revision to the bill occurred three days ago, which is the mandatory debate period for a bill of this kind.

My History

The motion to waive the mandatory debate time will be granted, provided there is a second.

I second the motion.
[Image: st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u5.jpg]

This has been brought to vote here.