We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Ministry of Defense Office

[Image: defence-line-color-path.min.svg]

This thread will serve as the public office of the Minister of Defense. The current Minister of Defense is @Pronoun. They serve as an ex officio General alongside Generals @HumanSanity and @Moon.

It serves as an area for the Minister to post periodic updates on Ministry projects and major defense operations as well as for the Minister to answer questions and respond to requests for information from the general public.

Relevant public resources include:
Military Code
SPSF Update Reports
SPSF Roster
SPSF Rank Requirements
SPSF Application Thread
SPSF Tidal Force information
SPSF Data Portal
[-] The following 5 users Like SPSF General's post:
  • Amerion, Free Las Pinas, Moon, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

Greetings all!

Welcome to my office thread. As it says in the post above, I'll use it to periodically post updates on my activities, highlight significant SPSF accomplishments, and generally update the public on the activities of the SPSF. 

In the transition period, work has begun on setting up some basic personnel matters. At this point, with the assistance of the General Corps, the following matters are taken care of:
  • The SPSF Roster has been brought up to date with new members and removing old and inactive members. These masking changes are now reflected in SPSF forum maskings (which were previously out of date) and will soon be reflected in Discord maskings.
  • Outreach has been conducted to many SPSF members to confirm their activity and future involvement levels. Special focus has been given to Tidal Force members who may be interested in Tsunami Force involvement and to Trainees who may need training to reach Soldier rank and become more involved. After this, I hope to work with several individuals on training in the upcoming week.
  • The SPSF Update Reports thread has been brought up to date after a month-long backlog. If you ever see it slip beyond about a week of no reports, please give me a reminder to update it.
  • I have reshuffled some of the pins in this board.

The following are ongoing projects I am working on:
  • I have begun work on a member-specific SPSF update recordkeeping system to be maintained via Excel. Given the extensive history of the SPSF, this will be a fairly long-term and labor intensive project, but one I hope to complete by the end of my term and hand off to the next Minister in a far more sustainable-to-manage manner. I have started a private planning discussion with the General Corps to discuss this project. Officer @Luca will be assisting with some technical details of this project.
  • @Quebecshire will serve as the designated MoD/MoM liaison for helping publish MoD promotional materials this term. Thanks to both him and Minister @moonfungus for agreeing to work with me on this.
  • In the coming week, I will begin work sorting through on-site promotional Dispatches of the SPSF to bring them up to date and talk with Minister of Engagement @Luca about integrating SPSF Dispatches with the MoE Dispatcher project.
  • For the first part of my term, I will be fairly hands off with the Tidal Force as the program is humming along well. Officer Melix will continue as Tidal Force coordinator. 

Lastly, I want to highlight some of the accomplishments of the SPSF in the past week.
  • As announced by outgoing Minister Witchcraft and Sorcery myself and Luca have been promoted to the rank of Officer. For the duration of my term, I will also hold the ex officio rank of General. I am very grateful for his assistance in the transition process and am thankful to have him remaining as a resource as a Commander and Prime Minister.
  • On June 20 at minor update, Luca, myself, and moonfungus all engaged in a successful defense of an occupation attempted by the raider group Lone Wolves United on the region Korovia alongside allies from RRA, TITO, and TGW.
  • Overall, the SPSF has had a significant presence at minor update each day this week, on many days being the dominant presence among defending organizations. As an example of this, on June 19 the SPSF (with very minimal assistance from TGW) led defenses of a tag run by the Europeian Republican Navy (ERN), defending 14 regions compared to the 1 region the ERN was successfully able to tag. Thanks to Melix, Luca, and Witchcraft and Sorcery for showing up to update. Such update leadership within defending by the SPSF would have been unthinkable at the start of Witchcraft and Sorcery's term.

I open up my office now for any questions or concerns about the above.

Cheers all!
HS
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Amerion, Free Las Pinas, Moon, Purple Hyacinth, Quebecshire, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

South Pacificans, 

While the majority of the SPSF's resources are devoted to protecting innocent regions from harm and the preservation of native, democratic institutions abroad, the South Pacific Special Forces has an additional mandate to oppose hateful and offensive ideologies, through the use of offensive force if necessary. At major update on June 25th, the South Pacific Special Forces in a joint operation with the East Pacific Sovereign Army (EPSA) seized control of the region Confederate Army pursuant to Article X(3) of the Charter, which authorizes the SPSF to engage in offensive actions against regions which espouse hateful ideologies. Confederate Army is a region themed after the American Confederacy, which existed to preserve the institution of slavery. Additionally, messages from the RMB of Confederate Army reference contemporary violent, alt-right, and white supremacist/racist movements as detailed in the spoiler below.

SPSF and EPSA are currently occupying the region with intent to remove its remaining natives and refound it in order to prevent it from again being used as a platform to propagate hatred.

I would like to thank Commander Witchcraft and Sorcery, Officer Luca, Officer Melix, and Soldiers Quebecshire and Moonfungus for their participation in the initial hit, as well as Overseeing Officer Catiania of the EPSA for being a pleasure to work with.

SPSF and EPSA are assisted in their occupation of this region by forces from Thaecia, the North Pacific Army, the Union of Democratic States, and the Free Nations Region who have our gratitude for assisting the SPSF in freeing NationStates from hate.

HumanSanity
Minister of Defense
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[-] The following 6 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Amerion, Jay Coop, Quebecshire, Roavin, Stan Melix, Tishers [Nyxonia]

2021-06-28 Update

It has been a productive week for the South Pacific Special Forces since I took office. A lot of this is due to the momentum already established during Minister W&S' term. Overall, the state of defending is strong and the state of raiding and its allies is weak. Significant battlefield events include:
  • At both updates on June 21 conducting a liberation and subsequent defense of the region Jregoria from a Imperialist-themed invader with a history of working with fascists.
  • We engaged in many successful defenses against tag raids. At major update on June 25, in addition to conducting our anti-hate raid of Confederate Army, we assisted allies from TGW, RRA, and LDF in defenses of tag raids out of NPA's jump point conducted with several of NPA's allies and partners. At minor update on June 25, SPSF and friends defended 6 tag targets while TWPAF managed 1 successful raid, which was detagged at the next day's minor update. Finally, last major update the SPSF defended a tag run attempt (the only one this week) by The Black Hawks, an organization which has committed acts of hostility against the Coalition.
  • On June 27, spotting a potential invasion force from LWU and JTF, SPSF worked alongside TITO, TGW, RRA, LDF, and others to pre-emptively secure potential larger targets and also defend The United Carribbean Island Alliance. For this operation, SPSF deployed an equivalent force to TGW and a larger force than all other defender militaries, representing a significant landmark for the SPSF's growth to make up a plurality of a defense force in a significant operation. SPSF also thanks @Islas and @Conexia for making special appearances to assist in these defenses.
  • SPSF Tidal Force has been deployed securing our raid of Confederate Army. We hope this operation will be wrapped up shortly so Commander Witchcraft and Sorcery can return to the battlefield.

Off of the battlefield, the SPSF has been doing good work building its member-base, training new members, and more. Specifically:
  • As Minister of Defense, I finished outreach to most of the SPSF roster, including identifying a list of SPSFers that can be contacted for major operations and attempting to re-engage some SPSFers with the Ministry's activities. This included welcoming some Tidal Force members to the Tsunami Force. @Nagaland and South-East Asam and @Nicholas and Great Britain are welcomed as Trainees in the Tsunami Force and @Floptop has already undertaken a substantial portion of their training.
  • My personal efforts on an SPSF record keeping system have continued. At this point, these are focused on data-entry and will take some time to reach the point of a deliverable product.
  • Officer @Luca was elevated to Libcord Update Command, giving the SPSF greater voice and ability to advocate for its interests in defense operations conducted with our allies and partners.

Priorities for the upcoming week include the training of our new recruits and working on the SPSF's public Dispatches, along with the continued success of our operation in Confederate Army.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 5 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Amerion, Jay Coop, Luca, Moon, Witchcraft and Sorcery

2021-07-05 Update

The South Pacific Special Forces have had a steady but active week keeping raiders at bay all across NationStates. Defending as a whole is incredibly strong right now, with high turnout from SPSF and our allies and partners almost every update, especially for significant operations. By comparison, raiding organizations and their partners are incredibly weak, lacking in motivation, resources, and morale. Many updates, there are not even tag raiders to defend against, and the remaining numbers of tags to detag are dwindling. Nevertheless, the SPSF remains present and vigilant, prepared for the few cases where raider activity emerges. Here is a summary of significant SPSF activity this week:
  • This week represented an uptick in activity from The Black Hawks, an organization which has committed acts of hostility against the Coalition. Despite this, TBH has not attempted a major occupation May 2nd, representing 2 months since their last significant activity. In terms of their low level tagging activity, SPSF deployed to counter TBH raids on June 28 at major update, July 3 at major update, and July 5 at major update. In total, SPSF and its partners have conducted 46 defenses against tag raids by The Black Hawks this week.
  • Additionally, the SPSF deployed to counter tagging activity from a coalition of Independent and unaligned regions - specifically the North Pacific Army, the Europeian Republican Navy, the Thaeimperial Army, and on one evening some role played by The Black Hawks. Specifically, on June 30 and June 29 SPSF deployed against these militaries, with high rates of success.
  • Tidal Force maintains its activity levels, generally conducting one mission per day under the supervision of Tidal Force Coordinator Melix.
  • Unfortunately, our occupation of Confederate Army has come to a close as the founder of the region has returned. Fear not, if the region ceases to exist again, SPSF will return.
  • To help our members stay prepared, we have begun conducting wargame exercises, including one internal set of wargames to help one of our members learn how to trigger and a set of chasing exercises with our allies in TITO.

Off the battlefield, work has continued:
  • My work to compile past SPSF battle records into a spreadsheet for processing is nearing completion. Thanks to Commander W&S and the General Corps for answering my endless barrage of questions. After I have finished data compilation, Luca will take over the project to do some coding work and make the system more sustainably managable.
  • Discussions have begun with Local Councillor Melix about an onsite event. Additionally, discussions about celebrating Defender Day have begun with Minister of Culture Tin. Given the Ministry of Engagement's current timeline on the Dispatches project, work on SPSF Dispatches has been pushed back slightly.

Priorities for the upcoming week include on-site recruiting and outreach methods and finishing the data entry for the long-term member records project. Additionally, RaiderCon is generally held in the month of July and we expect an increase in raider activity as a result, which SPSF will be managing carefully.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 7 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Amerion, Jay Coop, Luca, Moon, Quebecshire, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

2021-07-15 Update

SPSF has had a slower week of activity due both to the decreased threat from raider forces and some of its members taking breaks from updating, including myself. As Minister of Defense, I welcome that our members are taking breaks to focus on themselves and their RL obligations, especially since raider activity is particularly low recently. While sometimes members being on leave makes me nervous about those members staying engaged with the SPSF and its activities, all of our members have stayed active in TSP, SPSF, and Libcord chats and culture, which makes me highly optimistic our members will remain active in defending after their breaks, especially for significant and large scale operations. Since the past report, relevant SPSF activity has included:
  • Given the decline of more established raiding organizations, the SPSF and its allies have had more time to focus on lower-level raiding activity which can still be damaging if it is not countered. On July 12 at minor update, the SPSF defended the historically significant region of England from a smaller raiding party as well as defending the region Katzen on July 8 at minor update.
  • On the front of tag raiding, the SPSF has defended attempted tag runs by The Black Hawks and the North Pacific Army this week. On July 10 at major update, the SPSF and its partners significantly outmatched the firepower of The Black Hawks and secured 8 tag defenses against them. Additionally, on July 7 at minor update, at a relatively low attendance update, Officer Melix and myself took the lead in defending a tag run by the NPA, securing 2 tag defenses against their forces despite low turnout. Successful hits by the NPA were detagged in subsequent updates.
  • Tidal Force has been supporting an anti-fascist mission in Federated Sovereign Nations of Europe along with our partners in the East Pacific Sovereign Army and Thaecia. This mission concluded this morning and Tidal Force will be temporarily suspending activities for the next several days so its members are free to vote in our domestic Delegate election.
  • SPSF deployed to defend against a quorum raid on July 14 by the Joint Task Force targeting the resolution "Recognition of the General Assembly". After about 10 minutes, JTF gave up their quorum raid attempt when faced with the force of SPSF and its partners. A total of 5 quorum raids were attempted, 2 were successfully defended, 2 were operational failures for the JTF, and 1 approval was removed. The approving Delegate who was removed was contacted via telegram and given information about how to restore their approval, which they successfully did at the next update. I have updated the Cabinet Twitter accordingly.

In terms of maintenance and infrastructural work, the main effort has been advance planning for the Defender Day and Independence Day joint celebrations which are being hosted by the Ministry of Culture. While MoC is carrying the majority of the work here, MoD will be providing additional assistance.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 6 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Amerion, Jay Coop, Moon, Quebecshire, Stan Melix, Witchcraft and Sorcery

I'm disappointed that I missed the quroum defenses... nonetheless, a great update from the Minister! Glad we're staying active even with minimal raiding to prevent/undo.
[-] The following 3 users Like Quebecshire's post:
  • HumanSanity, Moon, Stan Melix

Woot! Can't wait for celebrations! Happywide
[-] The following 3 users Like Stan Melix's post:
  • HumanSanity, Moon, Quebecshire

On June 25 at major update, The Black Hawks in a coalition effort with other forces occupied the role playing region of Nasunia.

Despite being outnumbered at update, TBH secured a victory by using an infiltrator in our treatied ally 10000 Islands, taking advantage of defenders' cross-endorsements of one another in order to secure the region. This act, beyond TSP's inherent objection to raiding, was a further affront because it involved a violation of the sovereignty of an ally and because TBH, in this process, duped another ally (The East Pacific) into a violation of its treaty with 10000 Islands. The Minister of Foreign Affairs has issued a joint statement with the WA Delegate of 10000 Islands regarding the diplomatic consequences of this event, which can be found here: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-9594-post-2...#pid219204

At the following minor update, SPSF participated with a coalition of forces to liberate Nasunia. This mission was an overwhelming success.

I would like to thank the following 10 SPSF personnel for their participation in the mission:
HotChocolate
Gordon Freeman
East Nagaland
Warrior/South Asians
Moonfungus
Nakari
Roavin
Luca (Primary Trigger)
Quebechsire (Backup Trigger)
and myself

With 10 SPSFers participating, the SPSF was one of the most prominent liberation forces for this occupation.

The SPSF has demonstrated once again that we and our partners have the strength in the field to resolve operational matters and respond appropriately to acts of aggression against the Coalition and its allies.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 3 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Jay Coop, Moon, Quebecshire

2021-08-03 Update

SPSF has undergone a lot of changes since our past update. I want to apologize for the delay, I spent most of the past three weeks preoccupied with RL, but I wanted to give everyone an update on our activities.

With regards to the SPSF Tidal Force activities had slowed due to our recent Delegate election and transition as well as the administrative ban of Tidal Force Coordinator Melix. Following Melix's ban, I will be acting as interim Tidal Force coordinator and we will resume doing detagging, defensive piling, or anti-fascist missions as necessary/appropriate for our interests, and missions resumed as of yesterday. Hopefully, by the end of the term this can be moved off of the de facto plate of the Minister of Defense and back to a long-term trusted coordinator.

In relevant defending activity:
  • The SPSF was involved in the failed defense and subsequent liberation of the region Nasunia, a trade-focused role playing region. This occupation was only accomplished via an act of espionage against our treaty allies 10000 Islands by The Black Hawks, and I wrote a report about the liberation here. I also refer the public to Minister of Foreign Affairs @Jay Coop's joint statement with 10000 Islands' Delegate Wischland here.
  • Several newer SPSFers have been involved in regular missions recently. Beyond the expanded roster who participated in the liberation of Nasunia, I'd like to thank Floptop and Conexia for their participation in recent missions.
  • Soldier @Moon has been set up for Officer Training, with meaningful training efforts expected later this week.
  • Tag raiders have been increasingly active in the past week, and SPSF and its allies have been similarly active in combatting their efforts.
  • Since the last update, separately from Nasunia, a small LWU raiding party attempted an occupation on Major 7/18 which was successfully repelled

In terms of infrastructure, priorities remain the same for the near future: upgrading our Dispatches and completing the member-specific record keeping system.
Ambassador to Balder

[-] The following 3 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Langburn, Moon, Quebecshire