We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

New Minister of Engagement

With Luca's pending resignation, as much as it pains me, it's time we opened the discussion on a new Minister of Engagement. Since less than half the term will remain when the resignation takes effect, we're empowered to appoint someone. 

I'll be looking to y'all and Luca for suggestions on possible candidates - thoughts?

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.

(08-15-2021, 05:38 PM)Witchcraft and Sorcery Wrote: With Luca's pending resignation, as much as it pains me, it's time we opened the discussion on a new Minister of Engagement. Since less than half the term will remain when the resignation takes effect, we're empowered to appoint someone. 

I'll be looking to y'all and Luca for suggestions on possible candidates - thoughts?

I do not have much in the way of suggestions, the ministry is dead and an amount of that is my fault, part is systemic issues that I talk about in my resignation notice but am not equipped to address. Active staffers are relatively few who are not already in Cabinet, and what the ministry needs most is a sort of socialite who can aggitate for activity and interactivity more than productivity. And Quebec is busy.

Viet would be the obvious choice, but he made the decision to not run last time, said he doesn't like leadership positions (which is relatable), so I think he would probably decline if asked.

Somy is active in chat, but less so in the Ministry as Amerion has been filling my requests and doing his own work. Given Cabinet's interactions with him recently, I suspect he may not be the most compatible choice, but I'm sure he'd be able to articulate what should be changed immediately.

Finally, Anjo suggested that he may have run if I had not during the last election, and the work that he does in OWL is in the same vein as what is done in MoE. If he can be enticed to accepting and adequately replaced, it may be the most sensible option, provided he can remain active.

I lean towards anjo but then the issue would be finding a new OWL director.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.

Viet, Somy, and anjo were going to be the main names I threw out. I see pros and cons to each
- if Viet is done with his RL things that were going to keep him from running this term, then that may be the obvious choice. However, we're seeing a pattern emerge where the job is Viet's Job and no one else can do it, and that's not really sustainable. It may be best to bring in someone different who can maybe help slowly evolve and transition the role into something more approachable for others
- Somy seems engaged with the Ministry but has said he's avoiding Cabinet positions. I don't think he'd be a terrible fit in the Cabinet in general. In some ways, this is the best choice because I think Somy could help evolve the Ministry in a way that doesn't reinvent the entire wheel.
- anjo is perhaps another choice somewhat like Somy in that regard. Anjo has the technical skills required to lead MoE, and seems to work well in MoE-style workspaces. I'm not sure what he'd do with the position if selected -- but we can ask! It would leave OWL Director vacant, but we can find a new OWL Director more easily perhaps.

A total wildcard suggestion is Ero/Oshiega. They're new and inexperienced, but eager and seem fairly "with it" and active. May give the Ministry a completely fresh perspective from someone with energy, drive, and a desire to prove themselves. I doubt we'd go this route, but heck -- sometimes the best option is to do something unexpected.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

That is not a bad idea now that i give it some thought - re Ero/Osheiga. Might give them a chance to at least experience executive government and prove themselves a little bit. Certainly has the energy - is involved in OWL, cards, etc...

Witchcraft and Sorcery

I'm opposed to offering the position to Viet. Nothing against him, but for the reasons HS touched on.

I have similar opinions in regards to Somyrion and Anjo, which is that I don't have an objection to either but I'd like to hear more from them about if they'd either want the post to begin with or what they might have in mind for the last month and a half of the term if selected.

Oshiega is something we could look into. I'd certainly be okay with reaching out to them about any interest or thoughts. They seem dedicated.

yeah that's what i'm leaning toward as well. 

I agree on Viet - we need to move away from public perception that MoE is Vietnam only. A new face - someone who hasn't really had an opportunity to shine yet - might be the best bet. That's why I too am leaning toward Ero/Osheiga the more I think about it.

EDIT: if y'all approve, I will reach out to them tomorrow generally probing their interest in the position.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

I think we should reach out to them as you described. In the event that they are not interested or it doesn't go well otherwise (though I don't think this is very likely), Anjo and Somyrion are two solid options we can then look into asking to take up the job for a bit.

Let's wait until every Cabinet-member has had an opportunity to weigh in before reaching out. While I like the idea, it's very much out of the box and weird, so it'd be best to give it time to marinate in case any issues with the idea emerge.

I will say, I like the idea of it in part because it's an opportunity to start giving opportunity to newer members and helping to cultivate new talent. They'd need some help from Senior Staff and the PM -- probably a lot -- but that's not a reason it's a bad choice.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Witchcraft and Sorcery

I'm not sure Viet would accept the offer to be MoE again, based on the reasons HS and Luca outlined above.

Somyrion seems like the safe bet here; he's a Senior Staff in MoE, has previous experience in the Cabinet and could be a decent fit within our current group. I'm currently slightly leaning towards him, although his public reluctance to be in the Cabinet right now should be considered if we ever decide to approach him.

I would oppose Anjo's appointment, on the basis that they're already the Director of OWL and we would need to look for a new leader for it from an extremely limited pool of candidates, something I'm not really looking forward to. They're also serving as a Deputy Chair and would assume the role of Acting Chair if Hya's recall was to pass, something to keep in mind as well when considering them for this.

I am neutral towards Oshiega. While they're certainly a talented and dedicated individual and I like the prospect of cultivating new talent in TSP, I'm a bit wary towards suddenly throwing them into a Cabinet position in the middle of the term without any prior help, especially in such a service-oriented ministry like the MoE. But I certainly wouldn't mind if we approached them first regarding their interests.