We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Placement of Voter Restrictions

We currently have a restriction on legislators voting in elections that were ongoing at the time of their admission to the Assembly. This provision is located in Article 2, Section 6 of the Legislator Committee Act, even if it does not have anything to do with the Legislator Committee. I would argue that the Elections Act would be a more logical location for this provision, since anyone looking for regulations on elections and who may vote in them would logically look into the Elections Act. To that effect, I would like to submit the following amendments for consideration:

Legislator Committee Act
An act to establish a commission to manage legislators

[...]

2. Legislator Applications

[...]

(6) Anyone admitted to legislator status during a forum election in which only legislators may vote, from the time nominations begin until the conclusion of forum voting, may not stand for election nor vote in that forum election.

Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

[...]

2. Electoral System

[...]

(4) To be eligible to vote in, or stand for, a forum-based election, a legislator must have been accepted by the Legislator Committee before the period for nominations began for that particular election.

(4) (5) To be eligible to be included in a voting ballot, any candidate must post a campaign in an area designated by the Election Commissioner. The campaign must prominently include a truthful declaration of all potential conflicts of interest the candidate may have within and outside of the South Pacific.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kris Kringle's post:
  • Rebeltopia

sounds fine and reasonable, support
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]

Considering how long some applications take to be processed by LegComm, how about something along the lines of; 
(4) To be eligible to vote in a forum-based election, a legislator must have applied to be a legislator before the period for nominations began for that particular election, and has been accepted by the Legislator Committee before the period for voting ends,

I welcome thoughts on the above.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

So the reason this provision is in place is to prevent undue influence/votestacking/voter importation prior to elections.

Sure, with a little pre-planning it makes it easier to disguise, but LegComm knows who the bad actors are and is quite good at smelling bad faith. 

I am in favor of Kris' proposal though. It seems reasonable and it's absolutely reasonable that this be moved to the Elections Act for the sake of clarity.

Witchcraft and Sorcery

Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense. Formerly many things in other regions. Defender. Ideologue. he/they.

Is the goal here just to transfer the language? It’s missing the other prong, saying you can’t stand for election either.

(12-20-2021, 12:07 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Is the goal here just to transfer the language? It’s missing the other prong, saying you can’t stand for election either.

I must’ve missed that. Fixed.

Legal Resources:

Motion to vote.

Legal Resources:

Second
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]

Am I allowed to give an opinion?
Originally The King Isle. Got kinda bored, and made Unkzier