We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Max Barry's books

So, has anyone here read Max Barry's books?

I've read all of them, except Machine Man. I'd say Company is my favourite, probably because the whole situation was so surreal, even Kafkaesque, specially before Jones discovered what Zephyr actually did. I did start reading Machine Man, but I'm not sure I'll finish reading it. It kind of freaks me out, and I can't find any characters that I actually like.

How about you, TSPers?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I've been thinking about reading Jennifer Government, do you recommend the book?
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

It definitely is a good book, and it is the whole reason why NationStates was created, so I would recommend reading it. That said, I enjoyed Company and Lexicon even more, so you should consider getting those two as well.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I've not read any of them, but I'm always looking for more books to read. What are they about?
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

His website is always a good place to start!

Company is about this guy called Stephen Jones who gets a job at Zephyr Holdings. The thing about that company is that nobody ever sees the CEO and nobody can even tell Jones what Zephyr Holdings actually does. But of course, the explanation for that is quite impressive. It's a bit Kafkaesque, in a way.

Lexicon is about a world where some people can use words to control other people. Meaning, if I say the correct words, I could make you buy something, steal a bank, etc.

Legal Resources:

I can't say I've read any of these books, but the titles..
I honestly gag a little.

*drowns whitened_black in Syrup*
Delegate of Spiritus
Vice Secretary-General of the World Assembly

"When you are the potatoes guy everyone is like, 'Yeah, it's the potatoes guy!'" - Max Barry

I loved Company. It's the only one I've read though.

Company is awesome. It's the Max book I enjoyed the most.

Legal Resources:

I've read none of them, and with my reading list already being very substantive, I'll not have time for months.