We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

ISIS

It is the richest and most succesful terrorist group, stealing oil, kidnapping westerners for ramsons and they have managed to occupy a third of Iraq. The CIA estimates that they have ~31,500 members, but a Kurdish Commander says that they have over ~200,000 fighters. If that was true, they could be more powerful than Germany, France or the UK if they had the adequate equipment(which they don't).

We all know of what I am talking about. Is ISIS!

Their brutal practices have even received opposition from their own religion. A whole coalition of nations is doing airstrikes against it. They rape and sell women that they capture as sex slaves, and they take children to train them in the ways of jihad. They are extinguishing the Yazidi Ethnic Group, some might even call it genocide. Their goal is to establish a worldwide muslim caliphate, and they attract westerners to join their ranks.They have forced many iraquis and syrians from their homes, because they flee from ISIS.

What are TSP's opinions about this terrorist hell group?

I think that if NATO and USA want to preserve peace in the world, they should fight in land against ISIS. Although it will cause a lot of deaths, it is better to extinguish ISIS immediately than to stand there, looking at airstrikes that might even kill civilians on the spot.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

Here's the thing:

As much as I would like to see the US deploy the Army or the Marines to go and beat the living crap out of those heartless terrorist scum, we have to take a few things into account:
  • 1. The US just got out of two 10 year wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan
    2. The Public currently does not approve of signifigant US deployment because of these wars
    3. There's still too much focus on the economy for most Americans to be concerned about terrorists
    4. It's Election Season(Or at least Primary Season): No one is going to take up an unpopular opinion just because it's the right thing to do.

So, as much as I'd love to have our government do it, no one will.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

As a former Marine, I feel the issue is that it will only prolong things. Just like we threw out England in 1776 to form America, alot of this "death to infedel" stuff has us being "the infidel". Welcome to civil unrest.

(03-19-2015, 10:59 AM)QuietDad Wrote: As a former Marine, I feel the issue is that it will only prolong things. Just like we threw out England in 1776 to form America, alot of this "death to infedel" stuff has us being "the infidel". Welcome to civil unrest.

Great Britain not England. 
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

The reason no one is going to stop them is because of what happened when the UK and US invaded Iraq and Afghanistan they made things worse! No one wants to do this again and elections are happening all over the world right now. The UK General Election is the 7 of May and with a not so great economy no one wants to go and say that they will invade Syria and Iraq.

If there was someway that ISIS could be eliminated without foreign intervention... Seriously, the Iraqi Army in Mosul had 20,000 soldiers before ISIS occupied that city, and ISIS only had 800 fighters!(Idk really, I just heard these numbers, I can't confirm it) WTF? Why(the Iraqi Army) fled, when they were better equipped and stronger in numbers! Plus, they are being trained by the US!

Something smells fishy around here...

And QuietDad, you served in the Marine? My respect for you has grown... immensely. Thank you for serving the country. *Bows*
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

You will find that sending US soldiers on active combat duty is not as simple as deciding that ISIS needs to be defeated. There are several considerations in place, including the issue of congressional authorisation, the potential effects of such involvement in international politics, the projected effectivity that would have in actually defeating ISIS, and the fundamental issue that you would be sending lots of soldiers to die. The issue is not so black or white as simply deciding that ISIS needs to go. Besides, there is the question of when does the US stop doing the Iraqis' job for them, or rather why should they start doing it again.

Also, numbers and training are not the only factors in having an effective military. There is also perception, motivation, unity, previous combat experience. If the Iraqi Army fled from Mosul, then there was likely a reason why it didn't want to fight ISIS, and that also speaks about the longstanding inability is showed at halting its massive advances last year.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

The reason the Iraqi army fled was because the Iraqi army is Sunni and Mosel is mostly Shia. The Iraqi army does not want to go and die for Shia Muslims.

What everyone fails to see is that it's a culture. Taliban this week, kill the leaders. New guys come in and call it Al-Qaeda, kill those leaders, new guys start up and call it ISIS. If it wasn't for the oil, if everyone just left and let them starve it would be over very quickly

Oh dear, cultural relativism so early in the debate?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System