We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Being Banned from IRC

So today I was banned from #the_south_pacific's regional channel by Raven because I disagreed with his perspective. In fact, considering that he was actually far more rude in that conversation I question this abuse of power and his status as an Ops in a channel for a region that he has repeatedly publically stated that he despises. 

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I'm not defending the action but #the_south_pacific has never been controlled by the Government of TSP. While I for a long time owned the channel it was independent of the region. Before me Carta owned it and it was independent from the region. And before that you guessed it DALI owned the channel and it was independent of the region.

I think Escade is well aware of that fact. Otherwise she would have posted this in the Assembly.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Of course its not controlled by the government but if that means its a place where dissenting opinions are rejected then we should make a new channel and remove it from any forum or WFE links because apparently its become a place where only those who agree with Raven can speak. Talk about abuse of power.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

I really don't understand why the IRC channel isn't considered part of the government. It makes no sense.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I think we do need to de-link ourselves from a non-government or TSP owned channel where there doesn't seem to be any clear moderation policy other then whims and wanton politicization from people claiming to be neutral.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Huh?

We as a region advertise this channel on our WFE and forums but we seem to have no access to the moderation policy or standards used. For example, the other day two users used the terms "bastard" and "bastardette" but were not given any actions for their use.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious moderation policy and we should probably not link to an IRC channel that doesn't have clear rules or guidelines other then the whims of whoever has ops at the moment.

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

Making the IRC government controlled, which is what it sounds like you are suggesting, is a bad idea. It is complicated and messy. I strongly suggest against it.
Her Imperial Wickedness the Imperatrix Neenee

"But really, in the end it'll all be the same, won't it? Whether there's a ceiling or whether there isn't? Yes, that's the nub of the whole damned question! Well, and if there isn't a ceiling then there won't be any hooks either. And if there aren't any hooks, and that's the end of it, then I still find it hard to believe in: who'll drag me off on hooks, and if no one does, what will happen then, where will there be any justice? Il faudrait les inventer, those hooks, especially for me, for me alone, because if only you knew, Alyosha, what a shameless fellow I am!..."
The Brothers Karamazov, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I'm not advocating government control but the IRC that our government officially links to shouldn't be one where Ops can do what they want and are not abiding by any clear moderation policies other then "whims."

Escade

Delegate | Vice Delegate 
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest